website statistics

British Swimming Championships 2024 Road to Paris 2024

1 hour ago, Orangehair43 said:

Very sad news. I don’t think the optics will be good if all the women relay quotas are sent back through.

Just depends on whether she gets a discretionary pick. I think it’s possible she still makes the team as without her the 2 freestyle relays are basically finished of having any chance. 

50 minutes ago, RussB said:

Just depends on whether she gets a discretionary pick. I think it’s possible she still makes the team as without her the 2 freestyle relays are basically finished of having any chance. 

I doubt they will. They will probably just withdraw from those relays because of the backlash. 

Edited by Orangehair43

30 minutes ago, RussB said:

I’m not sure there will be too much of a backlash for Freya to get a spot.

It depends on how many others miss out on selection because British Swimming want to cut the numbers . 

Just now, Orangehair43 said:

It depends on how many others miss out on selection because British Swimming want to cut the numbers . 

Can you please stop this endless BS because your contribution to these boards is beyond tedious and is nothing more than tin-foil hat conspiracy theories.

There is absolutely no evidence that British Swimming want to cut the numbers. As per every major competition, they have set a team size in their selection document. This cycle it has been set at 30 which is the same as the target team size for Rio, Tokyo and Fukuoka. Sure, the revised selection document for Tokyo increased the team size to 35 - but that to accommodate Covid-19.

If the squad don't hit the selection times that have been laid down, the evidence would indicate that the selectors are willing to flex their selection policy - after all that's exactly what they did at last year's trials for Fukuoka. 

As for the "optics" that you keep spouting about - clearly British Swimming are fine not having a GB entry in events otherwise they wouldn't be setting selection times that are lower than the official Olympic qualifying time. 

57 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Can you please stop this endless BS because your contribution to these boards is beyond tedious and is nothing more than tin-foil hat conspiracy theories.

There is absolutely no evidence that British Swimming want to cut the numbers. As per every major competition, they have set a team size in their selection document. This cycle it has been set at 30 which is the same as the target team size for Rio, Tokyo and Fukuoka. Sure, the revised selection document for Tokyo increased the team size to 35 - but that to accommodate Covid-19.

If the squad don't hit the selection times that have been laid down, the evidence would indicate that the selectors are willing to flex their selection policy - after all that's exactly what they did at last year's trials for Fukuoka. 

As for the "optics" that you keep spouting about - clearly British Swimming are fine not having a GB entry in events otherwise they wouldn't be setting selection times that are lower than the official Olympic qualifying time. 

They might be fine but i am not sure they realise just how much the BBC will go on about it - the world indoor athletics set the tone for now I think the whole games will be built up to. 

Edited by Orangehair43

2 hours ago, RussB said:

It's weird that the selection policy doesn't have any allowance for illness or injury going into the trials - for example UK Athletics allow athletes to skip the trials if they are injured/ill provided they have been reviewed by federation medical teams. 

For Anderson, I suspect that British Swimming will be willing to give her time to recover and show form - the good news from her perspective is that in her events, GB don't have multiple swimmers who are likely to be under the BST. Anna Hopkin will probably take the 100m title with Freya Colbert favourite in the 200m, but there isn't an obvious second athlete who you'd think would get below the BST.  

The more tricky question for the selectors will be around the relays - the 2024 season's best for the top 4 athletes is outside of the GB nomination time for both the 4x100 and 4x200. If the top 4 are outside the BST, hopefully British Swimming will be pragmatic and won't make a decision about the relay quotas until Anderson is given a chance to prove her form/fitness. 

The relays is what the entire GB program has revolved around but I agree it really throws up a conundrum without Freya there.

my assumption is that common sense would prevail and if the QT is met with Freya’s 2023 SBs then they would take the relays possibly with a delay upon awaiting to see how her return is looking.

9 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Possible that we might lose another key swimmer from the trials. It is being reported on another site that unfortunately Medi Harris's mother has just passed away.  

That’s very sad. I wouidnt rule her out competing through as many athletes do choose to compete under such circumstances