ag2023-logo.png

Official Website 112255r04u4pz70n9mu99d.png
Programme 114826ez87b86sig8ubgz8.png
Results System 112255r04u4pz70n9mu99d.png
Results Database 160706oyh04y5y4bzsnssy.png
Facebook Page 000832qcaljaxz2cfx2jfq.png
Discussion Thread 160706oyh04y5y4bzsnssy.png
Edited by Sindo

So, if I understand well, only those athletes are realistically vying for an Olympic quota. I was surprised at the lack of South African men here but given their issues in the past, probably they are not connected to the federation. The only one is out of the rankings if I'm not mistaken

They have to be in the top400 to effectively qualify.  I think those that are bubbling under may get the help to participate in tournaments and financial aid as well to travel and gain enough points. 

Currently Lock, for instance, is under that on the "Race to Paris", for instance. He is the boyfriend of Laura Pigossi, who won the PanAm Games and qualified as well.  Sherif is #135 on the Race to Paris, so she may need effectively a win here.

MEN'S

:TUNAziz Dougaz #234

:TUNMoez Echargui #318

:ZIMBenjamin Lock #355

:EGYMohamed Safwat #368

:TUNSkander Mansouri #404

:CIVEliakim Coulibaly #473

stretching...

:MARElliot Benchetrit #660

:EGYAmr Elsayed #717

:TUNAziz Ouakaa #721

WOMEN'S

:EGYMayar Sherif #70

:BDISada Nahimana #336

:EGYSandra Samir #507

:KENAngella Okutoyi #532
:EGYLamis Alhussein Abdel Aziz #567

:RSAIsabella Kruger #673

Yeah, following the results using the results system has been a nightmare :facepalm:

The federation websites have been a bit better in my opinion.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

The 4 main seeds at the men's draw are alive. they are the only ones that could realistically use the Olympic quota.

:TUNAziz Dougaz needed a 10-8 MTB win to pass :BUR in the first round and will face :MARElliot Benchetri in a QF

:TUNMoez Echargui play against :CIVEliakim Coulibaly

:ZIMBenjamin Lock lost at the R32 according to the official website but he also won (?) so he will face :EGYMichel Bassem in the QF (seriously, what's so difficult on posting a pdf draw in the website?)

:EGYMohamed Safwat #368 will face :BDIIradukunda Guy Orly

On the women's side

WOMEN'S

:EGYMayar Sherif is the big favorite and is on the QF.

The only other African woman on the top400, :BDISada Nahimana started well, winning 6-0 6-0 but then lost to a south african player. I wonder if the Universality quota will go to her or again to :LIE

The tripartite quota on the women's side is quite competitive. Currently in the top 400 we have:

:MKD Lina Gjorcheska (239)

:MNE Danka Kovinic (241)

:LIE Kathinka von Deichmann (277)

:MLT Francesca Curmi (311)

:BDI Sada Nahimana (336)

:AND Victoria Jimenez (364)

While I would love Burundi to get the quota and help boost tennis in Africa, Liechtenstein might force the tripartite committee's hand. They aren't eligible to send a swimmer and they don't compete in athletics (when was the last time they competed at a World Championships?) so without a tripartite quota they won't compete at the Olympics.

Outside of tennis their most likely tripartite quota would be in mountain biking. Also Liechtenstein has a higher ranking than Burundi so that may also play into their hand.

5 hours ago, Pasolini said:

The 4 main seeds at the men's draw are alive. they are the only ones that could realistically use the Olympic quota.

:TUNAziz Dougaz needed a 10-8 MTB win to pass :BUR in the first round and will face :MARElliot Benchetri in a QF

:TUNMoez Echargui play against :CIVEliakim Coulibaly

:ZIMBenjamin Lock lost at the R32 according to the official website but he also won (?) so he will face :EGYMichel Bassem in the QF (seriously, what's so difficult on posting a pdf draw in the website?)

:EGYMohamed Safwat #368 will face :BDIIradukunda Guy Orly

On the women's side

WOMEN'S

:EGYMayar Sherif is the big favorite and is on the QF.

The only other African woman on the top400, :BDISada Nahimana started well, winning 6-0 6-0 but then lost to a south african player. I wonder if the Universality quota will go to her or again to :LIE

Apparently, the 4 main seeds got to the men semifinals.