website statistics

Tennis ITF Australian Open 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

33 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Although would one really prefer the Olympic gold over a Grand Slam? :p (unless you've already got several Grand Slams of course)

It probably depends on what that title means to a player/country…

33 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I honestly have no idea anymore who are the Tokyo Olympic champions :d 

I wouldn’t be shocked if many Puerto Ricans could still name the 2016 women’s singles gold medalist for instance :d

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I have nothing against Dokic, I would even say I like her and I was fan of her when she played. But we met her once here in Poland in Katowice when she was playing a small WTA tournament and we bumped on her in Pizza Hut of all the places and what can I say - it looked like she really liked fast food and social media. But back then she looked really sporty. I remember next season she played great at AO (she reached semis if I remember correctly) and I thought she will bounce back for good and have some more good results but it turned out other way. Anyway, a very nice person, we had a nice short chat at this pizza hut

Edited by rafalgorka

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

It probably depends on what that title means to a player/country…

Exactly 

It was mentioned here many times before but I think it is important indeed that Iga’s father is an Olympian, he competed in rowing in Seoul 1988 and he was really disappointed with his result , he didn’t make it to the Final A. So I guess Olympics are important in thus family 

Correction: Dokic reached QF in AO 2009. Still a great result though.

so we met her in 2008 when she was well down in the rankings . She looked really happy that sb recognized her swh in Poland and she kept smiling when we told her we liked her Wimbledon matches a lot… really nice person, I wish her all the best 

Edited by rafalgorka

19 minutes ago, rafalgorka said:

I would prefer Olympic gold.

you can win this one once in 4 years, you can win GS 4 times in one year

i think here in Poland more people would cherish her winning Olympic singles gold in Paris than winning another GS title

winning Roland Garros GS title this season may be easier for her because the pressure will be less even if you remember that Sabalenka and Russians may not be there at the olympics

This a very Eastern Europe view

Grand Slam events are the much bigger deal in the rest of the world 

All the Commo countries considered the Olympics the be all and end all.They were (are?) of the view that Olympic medal counts are everything in sport

The Berlin Wall was toppled in 1989 by the way

57 minutes ago, hckošice said:

Belinda Benčičová you ignorant ! :spank:

Huh, I had to Google that to make sure you weren't joking :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 hours ago, rajiv said:

This a very Eastern Europe view

Grand Slam events are the much bigger deal in the rest of the world 

All the Commo countries considered the Olympics the be all and end all.They were (are?) of the view that Olympic medal counts are everything in sport

The Berlin Wall was toppled in 1989 by the way

Pretty sure :PUR Puig got more recognition at home for winning Olympic gold than she would have gotten for winning a slam :P

Dayana Yastremska :UKR literally destroyed current Wimbledon champ Marketa Vondrousova with a stunning 6-1, 6-2. :hyper:

What's more, Taylah Preston, who is "Yastremska's twin", made some problems with Eli Svitolina :UKR, but our star handled them with a double 6-2. :bye: