website statistics

Women's Volleyball FIVB Nations League 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Josh

Posted (edited)

What? Mitrovic is in? Um. 

Edit: Not that I’m against it, BUT WINZER WHY DIDN’T YOU DO THIS AGAINST NETHERLANDS WHEN JOHNSON WAS PRODUCING ERROR AFTER ERROR :facepalm::bones: :hairpull::wall::smash::spank:

Edited by Josh
Autocorrect strikes again

Posted (edited)

Entire team is in tears. I am too :cry:

No national team volleyball for Canada until summer 2025. 

Edit: Talking about the women of course, the men still have week 3 of VNL, and the Olympics.  

Edited by Josh

Posted (edited)

OK, last reply for now, but really wanted to get this off my chest. Feel like it came down to who had the luckier break and better schedule. 

Canada started off VNL just over 20 points behind the Netherlands. They fought back with wins over full strength Chinese and Japanese teams to get it into a direct head to head match with the Dutch, but unfortunately the fatigue got to them in the end. I will give props to the Dutch though, Knollema and Jasper played really well. About the “luckier break” part of it, I’m talking about the Netherlands. When Netherlands played Serbia in week 3 they had a youth team in action (none of them had any chance of making the Olympic squad), and when they played Dominican Republic in week 2, Brayelin Martinez (one of their best attacking options) didn’t see any action. But it’s partly their fault too, because this would’ve all been avoided if they hasn’t lost to Serbia’s B-team, it really hurt them in the long run. 

About the “better schedule” part, again I’m taking about the Netherlands. Why the hell would you schedule matches against Japan and Netherlands back-to-back? Why not put the matches against South Korea and France in between the decider?

Canada played from 9:30pm - 12:00am on Day 1 against Japan, 2:30pm to 4:00pm on Day 2 against Netherlands (just over a half day of rest), and 12:30pm to 2:00pm on Day 3 against France. 

Canada’s depth is nonexistent, a schedule like this really doesn’t help.

Basically, what I’m trying to say is that had there been a Qualifying Tournament instead of this bulls*** Canada would’ve qualified, but I guess we’ll never know. 

Edit: Will also add that the only quality win Netherlands had in all 3 weeks was the 3-0 against Canada. 

Edited by Josh

First all, none of the things you mention were in our control.

Secondly, I watched the match on replay, so without the emotion of watching it live. My main conclusion was that we won from the bench.Kozlowski was able to bring in three new players at the end of the first set, even though the result did not even necessitate it at that moment. Also he brought in our best player Daalderop for the final few points; because of her injury she had not played a single point in the entire VNL. Also, Canada made far too many mistakes, especially in the send set.

Would Canada have won in a different format? Who knows: Canada won the two matches last year, but these matches were very close, with both teams dominating stretches of the match. Also, a significant number of our players are still young and inexperienced and have developed from last year.

2 hours ago, Josh said:

Why the hell would you schedule matches against Japan and Netherlands back-to-back? Why not put the matches against South Korea and France in between the decider?

I don't think it's a matter of deciding certain schedules. It's probably a matter of things that had been decided long before the race was this tight and now happened to end up this way. It could just as easily have been Netherlands - Canada in week 1 and being just as decisive, but less easy to notice because it wasn't at the end.

Also, to be fair: there were Olympic Qualifying Tournaments. The qualification pathway actually was pretty nicely done and well-balanced: half the spots through three OQT's and the rest through the world ranking, so countries that failed in the OQT's (like both Canada and the Netherlands, but especially also Italy and China) aren't automatically out based on one mediocre tournament. The one country that really, really threw it away is the Dominican Republic.

It's like if the USA in athletics would have trials for part of the spots on the team, and fill the rest up based on rankings, to increase the chance of the actual best being there (both those who peaked perfectly and those who maybe didn't, but showed that they belong there).

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!