website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat

heywoodu

10 hours ago, hckošice said:

Just learned that in Mexico if you paint a picture and donate it to the state you are exempt from taxes. :d Is this true @mrv86 ?

Well is not completely true, but I’m glad you ask something I like to present to the rest of the forum, so welcome to Mexican Tax Law 101.

As I suppose it’s the case in most other countries, tax legislation has many elements: one of them is the subject (that is the person who’s legally obliged to pay) and another one is the object (the act or activity which originates the obligation of the subject to pay).

So, under Mexican law, artists (the subject) must pay Income Tax only if they profit from their artistic production (the object), meaning that only when they earn money by selling their paintings to collectors, galleries and general public. So in that regard, they must determine and pay the authority every year from said earnings.

However, starting from the mid seventies according to a quick research, they can actually pay the Income Tax “in kind”, that is by donating their pictures to the state, instead of doing it with actual money, subject to some conditions.

In short, and I have some previous experience myself, Mexican Tax authority is one of the most vicious (yet rather efficient) in the World, so sadly, no matter how much paintings I produce, I’ll continue with my obligation to pay :(

Edited by mrv86

3 hours ago, mrv86 said:

Well is not completely true, but I’m glad you ask something I like to present to the rest of the forum, so welcome to Mexican Tax Law 101.

As I suppose it’s the case in most other countries, tax legislation has many elements: one of them is the subject (that is the person who’s legally obliged to pay) and another one is the object (the act or activity which originates the obligation of the subject to pay).

So, under Mexican law, artists (the subject) must pay Income Tax only if they profit from their artistic production (the object), meaning that only when they earn money by selling their paintings to collectors, galleries and general public. So in that regard, they must determine and pay the authority every year from said earnings.

However, starting from the mid seventies according to a quick research, they can actually pay the Income Tax “in kind”, that is by donating their pictures to the state, instead of doing it with actual money, subject to some conditions.

In short, and I have some previous experience myself, Mexican Tax authority is one of the most vicious (yet rather efficient) in the World, so sadly, no matter how much paintings I produce, I’ll continue with my obligation to pay :(

Doesn't that make perfect sense though? :p

I mean, not selling your paintings = no income, so no income tax.

Selling your paintings = income, so income tax.

Unless I am misunderstanding it, which is realistic since I barely even understand Dutch tax laws and stuff (I really need to learn more about those things) :d 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

19 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Doesn't that make perfect sense though? :p

I mean, not selling your paintings = no income, so no income tax.

Selling your paintings = income, so income tax.

Unless I am misunderstanding it, which is realistic since I barely even understand Dutch tax laws and stuff (I really need to learn more about those things) :d 

Oh, absolutely it makes sense, unlike some previous taxes in Mexico for having a dog or too many windows (both in the period between the US and French Third Empire invasions).

However the tone of the article that hckosice read, gave the impression Mexican artists, and of course anyone doing a painting, could get a general tax exemption. 

4 hours ago, mrv86 said:

Oh, absolutely it makes sense, unlike some previous taxes in Mexico for having a dog or too many windows (both in the period between the US and French Third Empire invasions).

However the tone of the article that hckosice read, gave the impression Mexican artists, and of course anyone doing a painting, could get a general tax exemption. 

:GBR Used to have a window tax. Was very difficult to avoid!  :d  We literally still have building with bricked up windows.

The police in :SVK city of Sereď stopped an Audi A4 driven by an 11-year-old boy. He drove his grandmother and her friend, the owner of the car, to the supermarket in the city center :wacko:

Sometimes I really can´t from this country

The censorship of Roald Dahl's books ("Charlie & the Chocolate Factory" author) has been overturned and they will be printed in original form again. A spectacular loss for the liberal woke brigade this time. Their power doesn't include censorship which is good to hear.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-64759118

On 2/24/2023 at 3:01 PM, Monzanator said:

The censorship of Roald Dahl's books ("Charlie & the Chocolate Factory" author) has been overturned and they will be printed in original form again. A spectacular loss for the liberal woke brigade this time. Their power doesn't include censorship which is good to hear.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-64759118

Whether right or wrong the decision to censor didn't come from a liberal point of view.

It came from the publishing company's very conservative view that they would sell more copies of his books if they cut out some of the phrases parents would object to.

Is there any information why some people aren't allowed to change their "nation setting" in this forum, while others are allowed to do so?

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

23 hours ago, Dragon said:

Whether right or wrong the decision to censor didn't come from a liberal point of view.

It came from the publishing company's very conservative view that they would sell more copies of his books if they cut out some of the phrases parents would object to.

The word conservative doesn't fit the narrative here, more so the publishers greedy and egotistical view to sell more copies...

Same shtick is happening now with the James Bond novels. Let's hope this would be a failure only for the UK and other regions wouldn't follow this downfall.