website statistics

Men's Ice Hockey Qualification to Winter Olympic Games Milano-Cortina 2026

Totallympics

41 minutes ago, stockblock said:

Good that Belarus is out.  Russia gets another year in the iffy Olympics.  I suspect the replacement will be Hungary.  They are the highest ranked.

and we have a new fresh new information (confirmed by a IIHF leaderboard member)

The groups are now reshuffled after BLR being excluded

The last spot was indeed awarded to :HUN @Vektor @lapaj

@avlar you are now going to Riga

Final Qualifying Tournaments

D in Bratislava, Slovakia

:SVK

:KAZ

:AUT

:HUN

E in Riga, Latvia

:LAT

:FRA

:SLO

:UKR

F in TBD, Denmark

:DEN

:NOR

:GBR

:JPN

Link https://sport.aktuality.sk/hokej/clanok/slovensko-ma-v-zoh-kvalifikacii-novych-superov-caka-nas-derby-2024021221351839297

Edited by hckošice

1 hour ago, NearPup said:

I’m guessing if Russia is banned the spot will go to the highest ranked unqualified team in the world ranking?

Not a bad idea. I am for, where can I sign ? why would only :FRA  & :USA have such privilege in Basketball ? we need something like that also in hockey a home friendly tournament for fun :whistle:

Edited by hckošice

42 minutes ago, hckošice said:

and we have a new fresh new information (confirmed by a IIHF leaderboard member)

E in Riga, Latvia

F in TBD, Denmark

Link https://sport.aktuality.sk/hokej/clanok/slovensko-ma-v-zoh-kvalifikacii-novych-superov-caka-nas-derby-2024021221351839297

I am looking forward to Great Britain vs Japan both Round 3 winners  playing each other.  Should be a fun game

20 hours ago, hckošice said:

E in Riga, Latvia

F in TBD, Denmark

Our chances are getting higher )) From 0.1% to 0.5% ))

I think the only really contested spot is the one from group F.

But all the teams will have to fight for rankings to get that last spot at the Olympics in case of scratching russia next year.

49 minutes ago, avlar said:

Our chances are getting higher )) From 0.1% to 0.5% ))

I think the only really contested spot is the one from group F.

But all the teams will have to fight for rankings to get that last spot at the Olympics in case of scratching russia next year.

Well, I think we have the group of death as a nice reward for being first non-qualified thanks to :SUI being absolute unfair jerks... but, yeah, that´s now just history and we can not do anything about that anymore...

KAZ and AUT are teams which always brought us nightmares, Kazakhstan eliminated us in Nagano and this year they beat us fairly at the worlds... Austria for some reason play shit against everyone, but always when they play Slovakia they suddenly turn on some machines... and Hungary, well, it is Hungary our thanks to historical/political crap not really beloved southern neighbor and it apply from both sides, all games in all sports between us are real risk danger and almost military and police emergency...

So all in all, I am far from being calm and confident about our chances...+ unlike other groups where we can expect a couple of blowouts, this group is quite levelled and the scores will not be big so pretty sure if (RUS banned and the best 2nd team will replace them) I am persuaded it will not be the team from our group.

Group F is for me the most clear, Norway is absolutely horrible lately, because of financial troubles, they can not even send teams to interantional tournaments, and where they go, they receive only debacles, No, they are mentally down. GBR & JPN stand no chance, Denmark has literally like a free pass to the Olympics, and it is good. They deserve it.

Your group should be clear as well, Latvia will probably win it rather easily, but must be focused especially against France, if they will field all their best players, FRA can be a threat, Slovenia with plenty of veterans is not the Slovenia from Sochi/PyeongChang anymore, maybe a last dance chance for Kopitar but I do not see them beating Latvia. Ukraine will play certainly with pride and heart and such team can be always dangerous, but I am afraid it will not be enough at the end against the Latvian quality. Should be a qualification for the host without big troubles at the end.

Edited by hckošice