website statistics

Athletics EAA Under 23 European Championships 2023

Totallympics

5 hours ago, Vektor said:

I am actually not blown away by that generation of Hungarian junior swimmers, no matter how many medals they won. We maybe got two talent there who can win an Olympic medal one day, Pádár and Jackl, but I wouldn't be surprised if none of them will deliver Olympic medals in LA and/or Brisbane. Look at the results, not the medals. It's not Italy or Hungary who are the big winners there, it's :BIH with Pudar and :BUL with Mitsin.

We will see about Mitsin ...

I am sure you heard the talk about bulgarian swimming federation. Their last big talent (Miladinov) also hasn't looked great recently.

There are other talents that i find more promising than Mitsin, mainly Cooper and Blocksidge.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

4 hours ago, phelps said:

1) OK

2)wait, she's just come out from the juniors (where last year she won the world title with meters of margin on everybody else)

this year she's not improved by much (and in fact I'm quite disappointed, even if she had some troubles, so there might be an explanation), but hammer throwers normally mature quite late in their years...I'm still convinced she'll be among the protagonists of the game in the future

3) my mistake

4) well, this year she's won the silver medal at the Indoor Europeans, she's won both DL meets where she's been in the field, she's beaten Mihambo the last 4 times they've been in the same meet (Indoor europeans, twice DL, EGs), she's the world leader (tied with Mihambo)...she's a newcomer, but she's been "on the podium" all season long, which makes her an "established" elite jumper to me

from now on, I expect her to be always among the medal favourites in each and every competition (then, I agree that overall the discipline has gone down compared to the times of the heavy doping cheaters of DDR, URS, USA & Ajunwa...but that's another story...and it's a beautiful story)

2) Mori is half a year older than Kuhn from Germany and "only" 30 cm ahead of her in the world rankings. I never would look with the same optimism at Kuhn as you do with Mori. The difference might be that Fantini is clearly ahead of every german athlete, so at least your system has proven recently that it can produce (fringe) world class athletes in women's hammer throw. I can't say the same about the german system.

4) You don't have to look back that far. At the last olympics it took 6.97 m to win bronze. At 2022 world it took 7.02 m to win silver and at 2017 worlds it also took 6.97 m to win bronze. I don't think the level will be as high this year. I won't call someone an established medal favorite until she/he has won multiple medals at worlds/olympics. Iapichino is without a doubt a medal favorite (probably ahead of Mihambo for example), but i wouldn't call her "established". Too bad that Davis will be allowed to compete ...

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.