10. :CAN  116 pts - America

11. :CHN  112 pts

12. :ROU  99 pts

13. :GEO  98 pts

14. :ESP  89 pts

15. :TUR  83 pts

16. :TUN  76 pts

17. :UKR  76 pts

As for the handshake issue: it's beyond stupid for fencing to force athlete to shake hands. Even tennis, one of the most high class sports there is, allows players to not shake hands. FIE and the fencing community are full of themselves if they think that this is okay. And not just for the Ukraine-Russia situation. Don't ignore the human element of the sport, you can't force athletes to respect each other. 

17 minutes ago, Vektor said:

As for the handshake issue: it's beyond stupid for fencing to force athlete to shake hands. Even tennis, one of the most high class sports there is, allows players to not shake hands. FIE and the fencing community are full of themselves if they think that this is okay. And not just for the Ukraine-Russia situation. Don't ignore the human element of the sport, you can't force athletes to respect each other. 

Completely stupid rule. They should have learned during the pandemic that shaking hands is very unsanitary and can lead to the spread of disease. Also if they want to appear like a gentleman's sport, they should maybe punish the athletes for screaming and jumping around after every hit + i don't really have the impression that many athletes have a lot of respect for the referees (especially if they don't judge in their favor).

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

The draws are out for tomorrow, these are the potential matches in the Round of 16

Men's foil

:USA v :AUT  ||  :POL v :CAN

:FRA v :HUN  ||  :EGY v :CHN

:JPN v :UKR  ||  :KOR v :GER

:ITA v :BEL  ||  :HKG v :GBR

Women's sabre

:FRA v :KAZ  ||  :JPN v :BUL

:ITA v :UKR  ||  :USA v :CHN

:HUN v :POL  ||  :ESP v :GRE

:KOR v :CAN  ||  :AZE v :GER

I think @phelpswon't be happy about meeting Ukraine in the R16 in women's sabre after what happened with Kharlan. That can be one nasty draw for Italy. We got Poland instead of Ukraine, the team that almost beat us 4 years ago in the R16, Pusztai saved us there with an insane run at the end.

2 hours ago, Illya said:

Ok so Kharlan qualified at the OG via special quota at least (it was suggested by our favorite Thomas Bach) :hyper:

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

50 minutes ago, Vektor said:

I don't agree, in all sports we greet each other, it's a rule of respect, I find it sad that politics take over sport, which must be outside of all that.

1 minute ago, Benolympique said:

which must be outside of all that

it can't because Russians support putin and war in Ukraine. We cannot shake hands to people who financed missiles which killed our nation every motherf.cking day

2 minutes ago, Illya said:

it can't because Russians support putin and war in Ukraine. We cannot shake hands to people who financed missiles which killed our nation every motherf.cking day

these athletes have nothing to do with it, it's a bit easy to make this deduction..

Edited by Benolympique

1 minute ago, Benolympique said:

I don't agree, in all sports we greet each other, it's a rule of respect, I find it sad that politics take over sport, which must be outside of all that.

Speaking personally, I would refuse a handshake after a match if my opponent hasn’t played by the rules or was verbally abusive to me or my team. I think respect is a mutual effort.

In terms of the actual incident in question, Kharlan did seem to acknowledge her opponent, which everything considered, is actually quite surprising.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Vektor said:

The draws are out for tomorrow, these are the potential matches in the Round of 16

Men's foil

:USA v :AUT  ||  :POL v :CAN

:FRA v :HUN  ||  :EGY v :CHN

:JPN v :UKR  ||  :KOR v :GER

:ITA v :BEL  ||  :HKG v :GBR

Women's sabre

:FRA v :KAZ  ||  :JPN v :BUL

:ITA v :UKR  ||  :USA v :CHN

:HUN v :POL  ||  :ESP v :GRE

:KOR v :CAN  ||  :AZE v :GER

I think @phelpswon't be happy about meeting Ukraine in the R16 in women's sabre after what happened with Kharlan. That can be one nasty draw for Italy. We got Poland instead of Ukraine, the team that almost beat us 4 years ago in the R16, Pusztai saved us there with an insane run at the end.

I wouldn't be happy in any case, since our girls are normally so afraid to face Kharlan and take insane runs every time

however, I still think our team is much better than :UKR who basically can rely only on their superstar