website statistics

Curling 2023 - 2024 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

13 hours ago, Josh said:

:CAN Briane Harris suspended for 4 years, after testing positive for ligandrol. 

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/winter/curling/curling-briane-harris-suspension-banned-substance-1.7140282

She plans to appeal the ban to the Court of Arbitration for Sport as she claims that “she was unknowingly exposed to it through bodily contact”. Honestly, I’m not sure whether to believe her or not. 

Same exact substance that has been used by a couple of Canadians doping in the past, first Laurent Vincent Lapointe (canoeing) in 2019, second Christine De Bruin (bobsleigh) in 2022, and now Briane Harris in 2024. Not a good look for Canadian sport. 

Even if I don’t understand why to take doping in curling, of course doping can still have affect, why else would we do physical training, but I also think it is very important that peppar take responsibility and that they can’t just based on their cover up stories like Johaug.

1 hour ago, Swewi said:

Even if I don’t understand why to take doping in curling, of course doping can still have affect, why else would we do physical training, but I also think it is very important that peppar take responsibility and that they can’t just based on their cover up stories like Johaug.

Hm. As previously mentioned, Laurent Vincent Lapointe was one of our athletes who tested positive for that banned substance.  But she got cleared just a couple of months before Tokyo. Read this article, it could be the same situation.  

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5441395

7 hours ago, Faramir said:

Another case of contamination by boyfriend.

Rule #1 for athletes who want to use any banned substsnce: don't be single and make sure your partner is ready to take the blame.

Maybe, but I’m just saying I wouldn’t be so quick to blame the athlete when there’s barely any details out. 

• 2 weeks later...

Earlier this month, Moose Jaw, Canada was also announced the host of the 2025 Men’s Curling World Championships. 

https://worldcurling.org/2024/03/wmcc2025-host/#:~:text=8 March 2024-,Moose Jaw%2C Canada to host BKT Tires World Men's Curling,March until 6 April 2025.

Edited by Josh

:CAN mixed doubles Canadian Trials occurred during the Women’s World Championships, Kadriana Lott/Colton Lott will be our representative. I don’t know a whole lot about Kadriana so it’ll be interesting to see how well she plays. 

• 3 weeks later...

Also want to mention, the friendship between Jennifer Jones and Team Fujisawa is so heartwarming. :wub:

They were of course at the game watching, cheering on their curling idol. I’d imagine there were a lot of hugs shared between them afterwards. 

Wish her all the best in the future! And of course she’s not done with curling yet, she’ll still be competing in mixed doubles with her husband Brett Laing.  

This video was taken at the Beijing 2022 Olympics. In particular, right after the last session concluded, and the moment she found out that Japan would qualify for the semifinals instead of Canada. One of the many reasons why she’s one of my favourite curlers (and athletes in general)

Edited by Josh