website statistics

International Olympic Committee News

George_D

30 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

This is why I believe the IOC needs to discuss their position and demand that affiliated sports federation follow their rules if they want to be part of the Olympics.

I don't think it's in the IOC's place to demand which nations are allowed to be part of a sports federations. These are separate entities. If a sport wants to allow all 50 United States states to compete separately then let them. My only concern is that the qualification process must limit the amount of athletes that attempt to qualify if other nations are also limited. Which for the most part they do for Great Britain (see curling or rugby sevens).

For territories, the ones that do compete were rather lucky as they essentially got grandfathered in. To me, there's no reason why Aruba gets to compete, but not Curacao. For nations with limited recognition things get a bit grey. Where do you draw the line? Palestine, Kosovo and Taiwan (via loophole) are all recognized by a large portion of the world. Western Sahara also has a large chunk, but not enough sporting recognition.

1 hour ago, thiago_simoes said:

This is why I believe the IOC needs to discuss their position and demand that affiliated sports federation follow their rules if they want to be part of the Olympics.

Either the IOC accepts Macau, Faroe Islands, Tahiti, Gibraltar, New Caledonia and other few territories, or they end support altogether for dependent territories such as Aruba, Puerto Rico, Hong Kong, American Samoa, Guam and a few others. It bothers me to see swimmers from the Faroe Islands competing at the World Championships, or Tahiti at FIFA events, but when it comes to the Olympics the international federations suddenly pretend these territories do not exist. 

Great Britain's situation also bothers me a little. I don't care what sort of political scheme they got themselves into: if you are going to send four, five football teams to compete at the FIFA World Cup -- an event nearly as important as the Olympics -- have the balls to compete independently at the Olympics as well.

Then there's the case of Taiwan, Palestine and Kosovo. Palestine is an UN observer, so they should not be bothered. If we use the limited recognition bullshit, then we should reconsider allowing other states with limited recognition as well, including Israel, since the state is not recognized by other 31 UN members. The Kosovo situation is still a mess, and the IOC has jumped the gun by allowing them to compete, in my opinion. Taiwan is, well, a mess that was more or less sorted out, but now they want to open the can of worms again. It makes a lot more sense, historically, for them to ask for recognition than, say, Hong Kong, but it's still weird. I would leave things as they are, but if Taiwan is gone (for good) from the Olympics, I would not be sad and, in this case, I would still call for other territories to get the chop as well.

Basically IOC used to do the right thing after changing their policy about the new NOCs (we'll keep everyone who are already inside, but the new ones must follow the new rule) although I never really understand why Macau and Faroe Islands are not allowed since they've been around in the Paralympics for some time. It just IOC thing, being edgy and abruptly recognizing Kosovo. imo they shouldn't do that.

I believe that if a nation (or territory) wishes to send athletes to the Olympics they should be allowed to. In my opinion Kosovo, Palestine, Taiwan, and the Faroe Islands are sovereign countries and should, therefore, be allowed to participate. If sports are for everyone, why are countries (and actual territories) blacklisted from competing? Bach might need to fix his rhetoric. I also wouldn’t be sad to see him go.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hora atrás, JoshMartini007 disse:

I don't think it's in the IOC's place to demand which nations are allowed to be part of a sports federations. These are separate entities. If a sport wants to allow all 50 United States states to compete separately then let them. My only concern is that the qualification process must limit the amount of athletes that attempt to qualify if other nations are also limited. Which for the most part they do for Great Britain (see curling or rugby sevens).

I disagree. If these sports federations want to be part of the Olympics, they must keep consistency with the way the International Olympics Committee organizes its events. There are federations that allow Catalonia to compete against other nations, and this is absurd, in my opinion, as much as it is absurd to let Tahiti compete. These territories will not be able to qualify for the Olympics, so if you want your sport to be at the Olympics you either follow their rules or you drop out entirely. This really bothers me.

I am not familiar with qualification systems in rugby or curling, but I can imagine two situations: 1) the best ranked team qualifies; or 2) there is a chosen team (let's take Scotland, for example) that would represent Great Britain, and if they fail to qualify even if England is ahead of them, no place for Great Britain then. The first situation is outrageous, since they would have 4 or 5 chances to qualify (Northern Ireland, Scotland, England, Wales and some federations even allow Gibraltar to compete). The second situation is fair to some degree, but at the same time it would seem like some teams are more "British" than other teams, or that one particular sports federation is allowed to go with whatever they want, what could be chaotic.

Edited by thiago_simoes

12 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

For territories, the ones that do compete were rather lucky as they essentially got grandfathered in. To me, there's no reason why Aruba gets to compete, but not Curacao. For nations with limited recognition things get a bit grey. Where do you draw the line? Palestine, Kosovo and Taiwan (via loophole) are all recognized by a large portion of the world. Western Sahara also has a large chunk, but not enough sporting recognition.

More than 50% of UN members recognize nation X --> they're in

Less than 50% of UN members recognize nation X --> they're out

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

10 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

I disagree. If these sports federations want to be part of the Olympics, they must keep consistency with the way the International Olympics Committee organizes its events. There are federations that allow Catalonia to compete against other nations, and this is absurd, in my opinion, as much as it is absurd to let Tahiti compete. These territories will not be able to qualify for the Olympics, so if you want your sport to be at the Olympics you either follow their rules or you drop out entirely. This really bothers me.

Which sports, besides korfball, let Catalonia compete separately? Korfball hasn't shown that much Olympic ambition so far, so there's not much of a problem there.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Which sports, besides korfball, let Catalonia compete separately? Korfball hasn't shown that much Olympic ambition so far, so there's not much of a problem there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_IQA_World_Cup, it will be surely an Olympic sport in LA 2028.

12 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

I am not familiar with qualification systems in rugby or curling, but I can imagine two situations: 1) the best ranked team qualifies; or 2) there is a chosen team (let's take Scotland, for example) that would represent Great Britain, and if they fail to qualify even if England is ahead of them, no place for Great Britain then. The first situation is outrageous, since they would have 4 or 5 chances to qualify (Northern Ireland, Scotland, England, Wales and some federations even allow Gibraltar to compete). The second situation is fair to some degree, but at the same time it would seem like some teams are more "British" than other teams, or that one particular sports federation is allowed to go with whatever they want, what could be chaotic.

In sports where England, Scotland etc play as separate teams (rugby, curling and (sometimes) hockey, the British NOC nominates an official team for Olympic qualification.

This is always Scotland for curling and has been England for rugby and the European Championship part of hockey qualification.

So, as you point out, if Wales or Scotland qualify for the Olympic rugby sevens via the World Sevens series and England does not then GB would not be allowed to take up their Olympic qualification.

3 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Perhaps the tournament is not directly related to World Bowling but in QubicaAMF Bowling World Cup they let athletes from Catalonia, Azores, French Guyana, etc to compete.

3 ore fa, heywoodu ha scritto:

Rink Hockey in the past tried to allow Catalunya to play the world champs as an established Country (they would be medal contender for sure, if not the main favourite in all the champs they would play), but then political pressure by Spain held them off...

however, Catalunya have somehow recognized national teams in Rink Hockey, Handball, Basketball and Football (and the football team -as also Basque Country- until a few time ago used to play "official" International Friendlies)...

Rink Hockey still let them play friendlies...