website statistics

International Olympic Committee News

George_D

7 hours ago, Dragon said:

I think Samaranch Jr will get the job

very difficult...all the English-speaking (+ Northern European) World and their accolades will never vote for him (remembering how tough, even unfair they opposed to his father).

I still have Sergey Bubka on the hot seat.

but I wouldn't be surprised to see an outsider getting the call in the end.

I think most of Today's likely, are going to be burnt one way or another before the D-day.

Again, it seems very likely the next president will be female based my time around upper management, but assuming male candidates will be considered…I wouldn’t count Illic (PanamSports) out.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

7 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

So the IOC argument is that because there are no UN sanctions against Russia or Belarus, they should be free to compete but conveniently ignores the fact that the only reason there are no UN sanctions in place is because Russia is blocking them.

Putting out rubbish like this really just undermines their credibility. 

This is what happens when you live in your small echo chamber. China doesn't support sanctions, India doesn't support sanctions. Actually, much bigger part of the planet regarding both population and pure size don't sanction Russia. But, this is what's so typical for NATO countries, they all think that their opinion is only relevant and that they represent the entire world. 

3 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Seems like there’s a great deal of divergence on this.

That was also the Australian Olympic Committee's position when they made a statement about a week ago but that doesn't mean the federal government will agree with the AOC.

https://www.olympics.com.au/news/aoc-endorses-ioc-statement-on-russia-and-belarus/

On 1/28/2023 at 8:22 PM, JoshMartini007 said:

Back in 1980 it took a lot of political push from the world's most influential nation and even then the United States only picked up a handful of mid to high economic nations to join them on their boycott. Most of Europe still competed in some capacity.

Even if the United States was 100% in for the boycott in 2024 I doubt they could convince a similar number of African and Asian nations to join them like they did in 1980.

It doesn't matter how many nations boycott.  What matters is the money.  If the United States were to boycott (which they won't.. the USOPC changed their bylaws after 1980 to largely detach themselves from government involvement so the president wouldn't have the authority that Carter did to force their hand), then the IOC doesn't get their TV money from NBC.  That's what would cripple them.  But that's not going to happen.  The USOPC exists to send athletes to the Olympics and NBC will want the show to go on.

RUS-POL would be M volleyball, W tennis, M tennis, W team epee…

BLR-POL would be W tennis, W kayak…

i don’t know how strong RUS and BLR are in M hammer throw these days

or how strong they are in W sports climbing (speed event)

Edited by rafalgorka

9 hours ago, nenad said:

This is what happens when you live in your small echo chamber. China doesn't support sanctions, India doesn't support sanctions. Actually, much bigger part of the planet regarding both population and pure size don't sanction Russia. But, this is what's so typical for NATO countries, they all think that their opinion is only relevant and that they represent the entire world. 

If i have seen NATO bombs falling on my head, i would probably share your point if view.

the thing is majority of Polish people in my generation haven’t done or supported anything what could make anyone think about throwing bombs on their heads

sorry, but after Sarajevo and Srebrenica we will not find common stand here

and obviously i know when NATO bombings in Serbia happened, but I wonder if they happened earlier the war in Bośnia would be shorter and less cruel or not???

Edited by rafalgorka

21 minutes ago, rafalgorka said:

I wonder what sports / events are most possible rivalry for medals between RUS&BLR and UKR assuming all NOCs competing in Paris???

Wrestling, judo, boxing, shooting to name some of the most obvious ones...

And tbh, i really don’t care about Paris 24 that much

what i care is how to stop this war

and if not allowing BLRUS to perform in Paris may help to stop the war somehow i am for it 100%

but i don’t know how not-allowing could help to stop it ofc

THE PROBLEM IS i am sure that allowing them to participate will not help to stop the war at all, 

as things stand today

Edited by rafalgorka