website statistics

International Olympic Committee News

George_D

Polish Sports Minister is hyping up a statement to be made by around 40 NOCs sometime in the near future saying that they don’t support the participation of BLR/RUS. Assuming that actually happens, it would be quite the fracture in the Olympic Movement (again, assuming that actually happens and it’s not just postering on his part.)

Link: https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20230202-poland-expects-40-nations-to-oppose-russian-athletes-at-olympics

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

5 hours ago, rafalgorka said:

If i have seen NATO bombs falling on my head, i would probably share your point if view.

the thing is majority of Polish people in my generation haven’t done or supported anything what could make anyone think about throwing bombs on their heads

sorry, but after Sarajevo and Srebrenica we will not find common stand here

and obviously i know when NATO bombings in Serbia happened, but I wonder if they happened earlier the war in Bośnia would be shorter and less cruel or not???

Well, I really don't want to get too much political on a sports thread, but NATO bombing wasn't related to Bosnia war at all. And I don't see what Sarajevo and Srebrenica have to do with anything, but ok, put it out there for no reason at all. I could respond with all crimes committed by other sides in those wars and we could "talk" like that for decades. But you haven't experienced war and I hope you never do. And when bombs fell on Serbia and killed ordinary people majority of Serbian people surely didn't think how to ban NATO countries athletes to compete anywhere. Sportsmanlike is you want to beat them, not to ban people who have nothing to do with war. 

5 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Polish Sports Minister is hyping up a statement to be made by around 40 NOCs sometime in the near future saying that they don’t support the participation of BLR/RUS. Assuming that actually happens, it would be quite the fracture in the Olympic Movement (again, assuming that actually happens and it’s not just postering on his part.)

Link: https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20230202-poland-expects-40-nations-to-oppose-russian-athletes-at-olympics

A large part of those 40 nations are those that disagree with their participation, but would still compete if BLR/RUS compete. The amount that would boycott is in the single digits (unless something drastically changes for the worst)

1 hour ago, nenad said:

Well, I really don't want to get too much political on a sports thread, but NATO bombing wasn't related to Bosnia war at all. And I don't see what Sarajevo and Srebrenica have to do with anything, but ok, put it out there for no reason at all. I could respond with all crimes committed by other sides in those wars and we could "talk" like that for decades. But you haven't experienced war and I hope you never do. And when bombs fell on Serbia and killed ordinary people majority of Serbian people surely didn't think how to ban NATO countries athletes to compete anywhere. Sportsmanlike is you want to beat them, not to ban people who have nothing to do with war. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_bombing_of_Yugoslavia

Yes, ofc I know NATO 1999 bombing wasn't related to Bosnia war at all in time.

But in my opinion, it may have prevented another Sarajevo / Srebrenica situation in Kosovo back then. That is why I mentioned Srebrenica & Sarejevo here.

Ofc you are right that other sides in those wars commited crimes as well.

And that thankfully I haven't experienced war myself, only martial law back in 1981 and after.

I hope you will never experience war again and wish you all the best.

The only thing - regarding to all of this ban staff - is that we must never forget that it was Slovenia, Bosnia and Croatia who invaded Serbia back in the 90s, it was Kosovo who invaded Serbia after that and it was Ukraine who invaded Russia in 2022, all of them to gain their people and their territory.

Apart from that, I 100% agree that this is sports website so I will try to avoid political stuff in the future.

I will do that if you stop insult some of us with words like "they all think that their opinion is only relevant and that they represent the entire world."

Edited by rafalgorka

7 hours ago, rafalgorka said:

And tbh, i really don’t care about Paris 24 that much

what i care is how to stop this war

and if not allowing BLRUS to perform in Paris may help to stop the war somehow i am for it 100%

but i don’t know how not-allowing could help to stop it ofc

THE PROBLEM IS i am sure that allowing them to participate will not help to stop the war at all, 

as things stand today

For all the times that the IOC has claimed to advocate for human rights (and then not advocate for human rights when they claim they can't actually change the world), the course of the war probably will not be affected by whether or not there are Russian athletes competing in Paris.  That said, there is definitely an argument that their presence there will be used as a propaganda tool to support the war.  So I can fully understand why there's no good solution here

6 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

We'll see how serious these threats of a boycott are.  There's a lot of time before things start to get serious in the ramp up to Paris 2024.  I can promise you that for any notions about the United States boycotting, the USOPC will stand pretty firm that they plan on sending athletes to Paris.  However they have to message that to avoid making it seem like they're supportive of the IOC's decision

1 hour ago, JoshMartini007 said:

A large part of those 40 nations are those that disagree with their participation, but would still compete if BLR/RUS compete. The amount that would boycott is in the single digits (unless something drastically changes for the worst)

My thoughts exactly.  A lot of nations - again, this one in particular - will express their dissatisfaction with the IOC, but I don't believe for a second they'll withhold athletes from competing.  

:SVK NOC will not boycott the games in any case, also is open for discussion to allow individual athletes competing as neutral athletes without any flag, without any nation´s colors, without any symols or anthem (literally without any. It means no more Chaikovsky, Katusha, Dj Bobo or Lambada. If they win gold play them the Olympic anthem or nothing)

+ obviously multiple doping tests for each participant and if the war will still continue at that time, we intend to push for something like a public statement/signature against the war to be required by IOC for each participant before allowing them to compete.

Once again, we are not speaking about RUS/BLR participation in Paris & Cortina, but about possible start of individual independent athletes under strict conditions. No teams obviously (especially in Cortina :whistle: :p).

Official statement of our NOC. (Translated through Google translate, because it is quite long and I have other things to do...and I am not sure anyone is even interested by views and statement of the super mighty Slovakia :happyjump:)

Spoiler

The Slovak Olympic and Sports Committee has been against the war conflict in Ukraine from the beginning and wishes for a peaceful end to it as soon as possible.

We are aware of how much the whole country is suffering from the war, and therefore also Ukrainian sports. Since the beginning of the conflict, we have been involved in securing and creating conditions for quality training on Slovak territory for Ukrainian athletes.

We are engaged in providing material assistance to Ukrainian sports and the Olympic movement. We ensured the stay and training of young Ukrainian athletes before the XVI. Summer European Youth Olympic Festival in Slovakia.

The Slovak Olympic and Sports Committee, in cooperation with the International Olympic Committee, domestic and international partners, coordinates the assistance of the international sports and Olympic community for Ukraine. In cooperation with the Order of the Knights of Malta, we are preparing and coordinating the transfer of a significant amount of material to the branch of the Ukrainian Olympic Committee in Uzhhorod. The Ukrainian Olympic Committee and the entire international sports community appreciate it. The former chairman of the National Olympic Committee of Ukraine and member of the International Olympic Committee, Sergej Bubka, also appreciated it. We are in regular contact with the representatives of the National Olympic Committee of Ukraine and consult the situation with them.

Sport is an important tool for peace and, especially in connection with the Olympic ideals, it should bring people of different skin colors, races, religious beliefs, political or sexual orientations together in peaceful competition. We do not consider it right to refuse the participation of athletes in sports events based on their nationality.

Just like the national Olympic committees of the USA, Canada or France, we clearly support the peaceful competition of athletes from all countries at the Olympic Games. The condition is that the participating athletes do not support military conflicts and that their overall actions do not contradict the ethics of sport, Olympism and the Olympic Charter.

The Slovak Olympic and Sports Committee therefore supports the efforts of the International Olympic Committee, which is also trying, based on the statements of the United Nations, not to discriminate against athletes in connection with participation in the 2024 Olympic Games in Paris. We also clearly support the International Olympic Committee's commitment that a strong team of Ukraine competes not only in Paris, but also at the Winter Olympic Games in Cortina d'Ampezzo 2026.

In none of the documents published by the IOC, there is no mention of the definitive participation of athletes with a Russian or Belarusian passport at the 2024 Olympics in Paris. At the moment, there is no discussion about the participation of Russian or Belarusian athletes, but about the possible start of neutral athletes who will not be associated with any national Olympic committee or with any state symbols. They must also adhere to strict anti-doping criteria set by the IOC. So far, no final decision has been made on the participation of athletes with Russian or Belarusian passports in the 2024 Olympic Games in Paris. We are at the beginning of a long discussion and therefore there is no need to draw premature conclusions.

Edited by hckošice

8 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Ah yes, the Law & Justice ministers getting some love from 'democratic' entries all of the sudden :p

I've said this before, Poland will NOT boycott the 2024 SOG even if Russia/Belarus athletes compete as neutrals. This is a weak bluff with jack high. Everyone here knows it and no Polish politician will die on this hill when the chips are down. The intense backlash over the 1984 boycott that ultimately led to nothing is still very much alive in Polish memory.