website statistics

International Olympic Committee News

George_D

I sometimes wonder why Georgia (the country) is happy being called Georgia internationally. Like why they’re happy being confused with a state inside another country…

They even asked Japan to stop calling them with the Russian derived Gurujiya and then the Japanese started calling them Joojia (which is also the same spelling for the US state)

Edited by Griff88

5 hours ago, dcro said:

Moldova will stay the Republic of Moldova even if nobody uses that name in a casual conversation. Meanwhile, most people will continue saying Czech Republic at least for another while. Weird. :p

They're just grateful no-one's calling them Bessarabia anymore. 

1 hour ago, Federer91 said:

Way ahead here, everyone has been calling it Czechia for decades now. :p

Same here actually - Češka - but in the English language I just can't help but say Czech Republic even though it is both different *and* longer.

#banbestmen

13 hours ago, LDOG said:

Well, I do support the Czechia change since almost every country in the world is officially called "the republic of x" or "the y republic" so it didn't make much sense for everyone to address the czech especifically like that.   

However all Turkiye, Qazakstan, Cymru stuff is ridiculous, just accept your english name for international events lol, don't try that hard to be a snowflake. 

I’m curious: what would your position is if people started using “Saint Dominic/Santo Domingo” instead of “Dominican Republic/República Dominicana”.

Moreover, would it be too weird to use “Río de la Plata/River Plate” instead of “Argentina”?

2 hours ago, mrv86 said:

I’m curious: what would your position is if people started using “Saint Dominic/Santo Domingo” instead of “Dominican Republic/República Dominicana”.

Moreover, would it be too weird to use “Río de la Plata/River Plate” instead of “Argentina”?

Argentina is an adjective that has "evolved" into a noun, there's no problem there. The english used to call it "the argentine" in the XIX century, personally wouldn't care if they kept doing that, it's their language after all.     

About RD, if they were simply called "dominicana" it would be easier. But there is already Dominica, so perhaps it would cause more trouble than good for everyone in that case.  

3 hours ago, mrv86 said:

in Italy we use to call the Dominican Republic "Santo Domingo", at least when we speak of them. :d

Formally, however, it's always the Dominican Republic also here (Repubblica Dominicana in Italian).

9 hours ago, Griff88 said:

I sometimes wonder why Georgia (the country) is happy being called Georgia internationally. Like why they’re happy being confused with a state inside another country…

They even asked Japan to stop calling them with the Russian derived Gurujiya and then the Japanese started calling them Joojia (which is also the same spelling for the US state)

When the Olympics was in Atlanta didn't Georgia get the most applause from the spectators after the USA? ;)