website statistics

International Olympic Committee News

George_D

The most puzzling Polish name for a foreign country is obviously "Włochy". It comes from a German version of Vlahs who invaded Italy in the medieval period. The same background has the Hungarian name of Italy. However we sometimes use the term "Italia" just to have some language diversity :p

wlochy.png

• 2 weeks later...

I´ve always been curious about what different NOC presidents exactly do during the Olympic cycle. and today for example I just found that our NOC president was in Montreal (officially a business trip obviously) just to took a pic with Slafkovský and watch a NHL game. What a amazing job it is to be a NOC president :p

If wonder, the NOC president is the guy in the left side :d

Siekel_Slafkovsky_0_0.jpeg?itok=uxdh6Jox

Edited by hckošice

• 4 weeks later...

A noteworthy proposal from today’s Olympic Summit…

”In the course of the debate, the Acting President of the Olympic Council of Asia (OCA) stated that, on the Asian continent, the reasons for the protective measures no longer exist. The OCA offered to facilitate the participation of athletes from Russia and Belarus in competitions in Asia under its authority, while respecting the sanctions in place.”

Link to longer press release: https://olympics.com/ioc/news/declaration-of-the-11th-olympic-summit

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

21 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

”In the course of the debate, the Acting President of the Olympic Council of Asia (OCA) stated that, on the Asian continent, the reasons for the protective measures no longer exist. The OCA offered to facilitate the participation of athletes from Russia and Belarus in competitions in Asia under its authority, while respecting the sanctions in place.”

Link to longer press release: https://olympics.com/ioc/news/declaration-of-the-11th-olympic-summit

Would be a bit crazy if Belarus were part of Asia & Qazaqstan part of Europe.

31 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I oppose it unless it will not decrease Asian countries continental quota chances. We can't have Australia and Russia at the same time without more reallocated continental quotas especially group ball sports.

Another interesting nugget from that press release in relation to Winter Olympics: “A number of proposals which could have an impact on future elections were discussed, including rotation of the Games within a certain pool of hosts, minimum climate conditions and existing infrastructure criteria.”

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

When I read this RUS BLR ASIA news, I think about what Orwell once wrote

"Serious sport
has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealousy,
boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing
violence: in other words it is war minus the shooting."

Papers in POL have reminded me this quote recently.

And I agree that CHN can't have "AUS" and RUS at the same time, that would be unfair ;-)

That would be easier for POL if we don't have RUS and BLR in continental quali as well, quite obvious...

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1131438/ioc-summit-oca-proposal-russia-belarus

i would put them info Antarctica zone, would be easier to qualify for them

ps. Relax, a joke this is

Edited by rafalgorka