website statistics

International Olympic Committee News

George_D

11 hours ago, hckošice said:

:CZE will officially ask IOC to change its name with immediate effect from Czech Republic to Czechia.

The Czech Olympic Committee announced it, the majority of the Czech sport federations approved the proposition during its general assembly. They will ask IOC to immediatelly change the name and also demand that the new abbreviated designation to be used in all international sports competitions and at the Olympics games already from Paris.

so no more Czech ripablik folks, from now on only Czechia

https://www.olympijskytym.cz/article/cesky-olympijsky-vybor-pozada-o-zapis-nazvu-czechia-do-mezinarodni-sportovni-databaze

Now I really wonder what will be the new official Indonesian translation...

Cekia? Ceskia?

Or Ceskoslowakia? :p

Well, I do support the Czechia change since almost every country in the world is officially called "the republic of x" or "the y republic" so it didn't make much sense for everyone to address the czech especifically like that.   

However all Turkiye, Qazakstan, Cymru stuff is ridiculous, just accept your english name for international events lol, don't try that hard to be a snowflake. 

3 minutes ago, LDOG said:

Well, I do support the Czechia change since almost every country in the world is officially called "the republic of x" or "the y republic" so it didn't make much sense for everyone to address the czech especifically like that.   

However all Turkiye, Qazakstan, Cymru stuff is ridiculous, just accept your english name for international events lol, don't try that hard to be a snowflake. 

Don't forget that Ivory Coast let the whole world call them Cote d'Ivore :-) 

3 hours ago, LDOG said:

Moldova will stay the Republic of Moldova even if nobody uses that name in a casual conversation. Meanwhile, most people will continue saying Czech Republic at least for another while. Weird. :p

#banbestmen

4 hours ago, LDOG said:

Wales need to change their name because they are sick of constantly being mixed up with Wallonia in Belgium, Valais Canton in Switzerland, the no longer existant country of Transvaal and the town Vaals in Limburg. 

Now, as Cymru they will only be mixed up with the county of Cumbria in England, the island of Cumbrae in Scotland and the Cambrian geological epoch.

Edited by Grassmarket

2 hours ago, dcro said:

Moldova will stay the Republic of Moldova even if nobody uses that name in a casual conversation. Meanwhile, most people will continue saying Czech Republic at least for another while. Weird. :p

some keep even calling CZE Czechoslovakia, for real :d