website statistics

International Olympic Committee News

George_D

4 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Oh I agree. I mean, I do strangely enough like them at swimming world championships as a fun intermezzo, some massive testosterone bombing in the pool for a bit :d

Thing is, there they are not in anythings way: world championships in sport X can have all the events they want, it's not in the way of other sports after all. At the Olympics that would be different. Same as why I don't mind the biathlon pursuit being in the biathlon world championships, but it is horrendous that it's a separate Olympic event.

Through with Biathlon everyone in the pursuit is there anyway. 

1 minute ago, Orangehair43 said:

Through with Biathlon everyone in the pursuit is there anyway. 

That's not the point. The point there is that it's an inherently unfair medal event, where athletes have an actual (and in many cases nearly impossible to overcome) disadvantage based on another medal event. That is just nonsense.

First of all one's participation in one medal event should not even depend on another medal event, but one should definitely not start with a time disadvantage in a medal event and have the qualifier for that be a medal event in itself.

It's kind of like if in modern pentathlon we'd give out medals after the first three events and then also separate medals for whoever finishes the laser run first (using the standings to decide the start orders and time gaps).

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 minutes ago, NearPup said:

This might be a hot take but I actually think the 50s are the most boring swimming events.

Let's be honest, most of the swimming distances are redundant :d There isn't something that unique of doing 100 or 200 meters. But because the sport is as popular as it is and has a big branding of creating superstars, who can win "countless medals", it gets a pass on the program.

If we were looking objectively, compared with the other sports, the swimming schedule should be only:

- 100 m for the 4 styles

- 400 and 1500 m freestyle 

- 400 m individual medley

- 4x100 freestyle and 4x100 medley relays 

- Mayyyyyybe a mixed relay 

33 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Not sure of the format but it will be one male and one female. And it would not be their results from the individual event added together.

If that is the case they ran an event like this at The European Championships in Glasgow 2018 and it went down very good

53 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Since the next Olympics are in 2028, and of course by now the program is entirely finalized I assume (since athletes start their new Olympic cycle immediately): is there a clear list of events that were in Paris and won't be in LA, and events that weren't in Paris and will be in LA?

We'll know the new events in summer 2025.

On 8/10/2024 at 7:47 PM, intoronto said:

About this. You would think this a good news.

But i have seen in the past years, that anytime i say "After X and X are gone it will be better" it's the complete opposite. I thought Bach will be much better than Rogge at that time and it backfired spectacularly. Now you think anyone after Bach can't do a worse job, but i'm not holding my breath.

33 minutes ago, NearPup said:

And we also know this should be three event: men’s single scull, women’s single scull and a mixed double scull.

Ah yes, beach rowing, one more of the stupid, stupid things, that will be happening for 2028. Who needs actual rowing, when you can have a knock off version to appease whoever..

2 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Ah yes, beach rowing, one more of the stupid, stupid things, that will be happening for 2028. Who needs actual rowing, when you can have a knock off version to appease whoever..

Ya, if I had my way the quotas / events freed up from eliminating lightweight rowing would have gone to canoeing.

This entire conversation is just proving that those constant changes in every edition is more troubling than helping I mean there are young athletes out there training to get to the Olympics only to learn after each edition that there sport might be out, I hope the next president will care enough to make a program for the long run

3 minutes ago, Dnl said:

This entire conversation is just proving that those constant changes in every edition is more troubling than helping I mean there are young athletes out there training to get to the Olympics only to learn after each edition that there sport might be out, I hope the next president will care enough to make a program for the long run

I think there needs to be a balance between having stability in the program and also evolving.

I think adding sports like climbing, skateboarding and cricket were all overdue changes, I’m just not super keen in how it was done.