website statistics

Alpine Skiing FIS World Championships 2023

Totallympics

6 hours ago, Monzanator said:

I wonder if Greek TV showed this event? I suppose they're not used to broadcasting winter sports that much? :p @Makedonas

Unfortunately no one is really talking about it. I mean I didn't even know these WC were happening until after I read the news that he won the medal. It will be really hard for this sport to get more exposure although this is definitely a step in the right direction. He said in an interview recently that he is a big fan of Tsitsipas and wants to do in alpine skiing what Tsitsipas did for tennis in Greece, although he is already 28 so it will be hard to achieve something like that.

Honestly when I heard the news today, I expected more of a reaction on social media but it's basically been forgotten just a few hours later and overshadowed by the AEK vs PAOK derby in football and Cup final in basketball...not to mention we had the National Indoor Championships in athletics where everyone was looking to see what Tentoglou would do today. Sakkari posted about Ginnis on her Instagram but other than that I have not yet seen any famous person mention this.

When Korakaki for example wins shooting WC medals, again there is very little interest generally, so I guess we shouldn't be too surprised...

6 hours ago, Federer91 said:

I believe (not fully sure) this is the first WC medal for Greece in any winter sport in history! :bowdown:

That is correct. At the Winter Olympics our best result ever was 13th place. I hope Ginnis can break this record. He missed Beijing 2022 due to injury unfortunately.

4 hours ago, Monzanator said:

This is probably even worse than those minor medals in weightlifting nobody cares about :evil:

The people on the ice hockey roster are actually Greeks from Greece, not from the Greek diaspora, so that basically confirms the level must have been extremely low those years if we were able to win medals :lol:

3 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

When Korakaki for example wins shooting WC medals, again there is very little interest generally, so I guess we shouldn't be too surprised...

Also I want to add that when Petrounias wins his gymnastics WC gold medals, a lot of people will like/comment/share his posts but I bet you 95% of them have never watched his routines and just celebrate the gold medals, pretending to be such big fans. I am not sure if it is like this in other countries too or just Greeks.

Even with tennis, to watch most matches of Tsitsipas you have to pay more money for the channels that show tennis regularly, or go to a cafe/bar that has the channels. It's the same for many other sports in Greece as well so it's really hard for "new" sports to become popular. Roland Garros is the only tournament shown on public TV every year, so you can imagine how big it was in 2021 to have one player in the final and one in the semifinals. Everyone was watching, but since then a lot of these people don't want to pay more money to be able to watch tennis.

Also the biggest Greek sports website has an article about Ginnis' medal and there are 0 comments on it. For contrast, Femke Bol's WR article got 9 comments so far, and Medvedev winning Rotterdam ATP 500 got 1 comment, so I'm not really exaggerating when I say no one is talking about him.