website statistics

Sailing WS World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

I also see that a lot of races have been stopped/posticipated right now because of very light wind (and in fact in the Nacra 17, :ITA Tita/Banti almost threw away their big lead over :GBR Gimson/Burnet because they had to race in unfavourable conditions...and :GER also compromised their ranking earlier today, meanwhile :SWE made an unbelievable comeback up until the 3rd place :yikes:)  

in the mixed dinghy (470), instead, the light wind helped :ITA to a double race victory that moved them in 2nd place overall (after starting with a 14th and a 15th place in the first 2 races :yikes:), behind only a :JPN crew

why do we have these 2 boats doing well only with opposite wind speed? :facepalm:

9 hours ago, dodge said:

Every second thread here is someone looking to get rid of an established Olympic sport, or complaining that an established Olympic sport is under threat 😂

The IOC has created an environment where athletes, fans, and other stakeholders have to think that way unfortunately. Hopefully the quota cuts stop and the sport changes become less chaotic over the next cycle, so the program can stabilize a bit.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

10 hours ago, dodge said:

Every second thread here is someone looking to get rid of an established Olympic sport, or complaining that an established Olympic sport is under threat 😂

At least people complain about Sailing should be at the games or not. 

I don't think so most people even care to open the modern pentathlon thread to comment about it, shows how many are really interested in the sport.

On 8/12/2023 at 2:27 AM, phelps said:

I agree (in part)

America's Cup is just on another level...and I must say that I'd like to drop a few of the current classes to get the AC class at the Olympics (if not the proper AC boats -too big, too many people on board- at least the Sail GP format is perfectly feasible, imho)

however, I think that the most important thing in sailing coverage is a very reliable tv director that knows what he's doing

most times they just can't understand what's going on and so it all becomes a mess

honestly, I enjoyed a lot the last 2 Olympics...the tv coverage was quite good

back to today, already a few surprising results in day 1 of the world champs...

from an Italian perspective, happy to see Tita/Banti in good shape, winning their first 2 races

not so good, instead, the other crews, especially the mixed 470, where we expect to make at least the medal race (and it looks already impossible after only 2 races :facepalm:)

I think it's more the matter of no real match racing at the Olympics. Sailing is here to stay but some of the classes I believe shouldn't be there. Particularly the mixed class multihull and the kite surfing. I'd rather those two classes and 3 events be replaced with a Sail GP mixed event. Sail GP has revolutionized the sport in a way . So much so you can hold the event in and around a Harbour, instead of going right out to sea and is much more spectator friendly. The TV coverage is quite out of this world too. But would rather have boats of that class match race. That's sailing at almost its purest. 

Edited by Joshi

18 hours ago, phelps said:

in the mixed dinghy (470), instead, the light wind helped :ITA to a double race victory that moved them in 2nd place overall (after starting with a 14th and a 15th place in the first 2 races :yikes:), behind only a :JPN crew

why do we have these 2 boats doing well only with opposite wind speed? :facepalm:

how to kill 3 years of work...

a stupid mistake (and also very controversial, it looks) before the start in the 5th race cost our crew the disqualification (POR protest winning over ITA protest for the same infraction) and now they're down in 15th place, out of everything instead of being in 2nd place fighting for the medals :facepalm:

only consolation, the ranking is still very closed and there are 6 more races of the gold fleet to recover

however, also the mixed Dinghy (470) preliminary races have been completed and now the crews have been divided into Gold (33 boats) and Silver fleet

mixed Dinghy (470), 8 Olympic Quota Places available, 5 races completed, 5 more to go before the Medal race

1. :JPN

(2. :JPN)

3. :GER

4. :ESP

5. :SWE

6. :AUT

(7. :ESP)

8. :POR

(9. :JPN

10. :ISR

14. :GBR

in total, there are only 16 Nations represented in the Gold Fleet

:JPN #8 looks comfortably in the lead so far, meanwhile there's small group (2nd to 6th) following the leaders with some margin ahead and behind of them

from 7th place on, it's a real mess, with many boats within very few points one from each other (and many ties, too)

it looks that a place in the medal race (and then for the OQPs) will be up for grabs until the last leg of the last race, making this class very exciting to follow

as expected, our crew in the mixed 470 just gave up after last night's protests drama

now we're completely out of contention...no medals, no medal race and, above all, no OQP, which was the minimum target

I fear we're gonna come out of this championship with all of our bones broken, shattered

if we're lucky, we're gonna get no more than 5 OQPs (mixed Nacra 17, Wind- and Kitesurfing M + W), missing out on at least 2 or 3 OQPs we really expected to gain here

Could someone more knowledgeable pless tell me which of the following events are olympic:

a) Men's Dinghy

b) Women's Dinghy

c) Mixed Dinghy

d) Men's Kite

e) Women's Kite

f) Men's Windurfing

g) Women's Windsurfing

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

10 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Could someone more knowledgeable pless tell me which of the following events are olympic:

a) Men's Dinghy

b) Women's Dinghy

c) Mixed Dinghy

d) Men's Kite

e) Women's Kite

f) Men's Windurfing

g) Women's Windsurfing

All of them are Olympic classes

2 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

All of them are Olympic classes

Thanks! Are only olympic classes contested at the world championships?

Edit: Seems like an overkill to have 3 Dinghy events.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.