website statistics

Men's Football FIFA World Cup 2022

Totallympics

40 minutes ago, LuizGuilherme said:

Its very slow here in Brazil, even on TV there arent many advertising yet.

Its probably because the elections that stills monopolizating the mídia and the talks around the country.

Its gonna change before the first game but its very "cold" in comparation with the last WC

Good to see I didn't miss it or something. Even with elections taking up everything, I had expected a lot more than a few international flags at a random gas station and a couple of green/yellow thingies at the counter of the supermarket :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

and in three weeks in Brazil I also barely noticed anything other than a handful of green/yellow things in supermarkets and a bunch of Brazilian flags on cars and windows which mostly remain there to show support for Bolsonaro :p

Well, today if you wear the brazilian jersey, it's 90% guaranteed that you a Bolsonaro supporter, and nobody in their right mind would want that. Same with flags (until 2014, we used to decorate our house/street, but today it's the last thing I would do).

Even CBF is doing a campaign (unsuccessful, I would say) saying that their apparel is for everybody, trying to unlink their products from Bolsonaro. I guess it's hard when your main player supports the president :whistle:

6 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

Well, today if you wear the brazilian jersey, it's 90% guaranteed that you a Bolsonaro supporter, and nobody in their right mind would want that. Same with flags (until 2014, we used to decorate our house/street, but today it's the last thing I would do).

Even CBF is doing a campaign (unsuccessful, I would say) saying that their apparel is for everybody, trying to unlink their products from Bolsonaro. I guess it's hard when your main player supports the president :whistle:

Yeah, it's no coincidence that a majority of cars with flags also carry a sticker with a big ugly 22 on it :p 

The main - or only - reason why I kind of hope Brazil does well at this World Cup: it might be the only chance in the foreseeable future to have the flags and stuff be linked back to football a bit more...not saying it will unlink it from Bolsonaro, but a Brazilian World Cup title might at least make the flags be a bit more about football again (even if it's not comparable to 'before').

I know, naive, but one can hope.

The whole thing also kind of sucks (albeit not more than an annoyance of course) if you're a Brazilian athlete who wants to train in their national clothes, without showing political preference.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 hours ago, heywoodu said:

How 'alive' is it in your countries at the moment?

I think anywhere except Qatar is the same, not really much hype. Usually there are concerts or quizzes to welcome the World Cup on TV here, but there is none so far.

To make it worse in Indonesia: we just ended analog broadcasting 10 days ago and people are freaking out because suddenly their TV shows nothing despite the government had campaigned about digital TV since 2019.

2 hours ago, heywoodu said:

How 'alive' is it in your countries at the moment? Here in the Netherlands there's not that much about it, other than some news about the team and such (but not a ton of publicity ads and stuff in supermarkets and shops, like it used to be a few years ago when you'd see orange coloured nonsense everywhere by now), and in three weeks in Brazil I also barely noticed anything other than a handful of green/yellow things in supermarkets and a bunch of Brazilian flags on cars and windows which mostly remain there to show support for Bolsonaro :p 

I was rather surprised at how invisible the World Cup seemed to be in Brazil so shortly before the start, even though I know the elections have been the main focus these past months.

Well, November in Europe is kinda bad for outdoor activities, it would be more hype with the summer parties & beer like it usually is around World Cup.

In Poland the news is the national stadium roof has had a failure and we have to move the Chile friendly to Legia Warsaw stadium :p

The problem is not the time or the place, it's the f'n calendar being crammed to 200%. It's unbelievable how all the leagues are still going one week before the start of the WC.

There is just no break for the fans to get excited... And everything was enhanced in the last months so they can get as many matches in and not "disrupt" the leagues. They should have ended them last week at least to have a 2 week break before the start, but no.. There are just to many matches and the special ones are getting less and less.

4 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Well, November in Europe is kinda bad for outdoor activities

With 10-15 degrees and little rain, it's a lot better here now than in the summer with 30+ degrees and burning sun, I'd say, but somehow people don't massively agree with that :d 

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

With 10-15 degrees and little rain, it's a lot better here now than in the summer with 30+ degrees and burning sun, I'd say, but somehow people don't massively agree with that :d 

even if I don't like rain, I agree about the temperature...I'd like to have 10° C 365 days/year (366 once every 4 years :lol:).

1 hour ago, Federer91 said:

The problem is not the time or the place, it's the f'n calendar being crammed to 200%. It's unbelievable how all the leagues are still going one week before the start of the WC.

There is just no break for the fans to get excited... And everything was enhanced in the last months so they can get as many matches in and not "disrupt" the leagues. They should have ended them last week at least to have a 2 week break before the start, but no.. There are just to many matches and the special ones are getting less and less.

This is entirely on Europe. Most other leagues around the world already wrapped up before this weekend.   

The calendar is crammed because UEFA forced their NTs to play all those stupid nations league games in June. Otherwise all european leagues could have started at least a week earlier.