website statistics

Men's Baseball WBSC World Baseball Classic 2023

Totallympics

7 minutes ago, hckošice said:

Absolute noob in this, but was not USA supposed to win baseball match against Mexico .. I mean, yes, probably they miss plenty of super stars etc.. but I am surprised by this result. I was living in a bubble that in Yuesey everyone plays and thus they are almost invincible in this sport even if they field a "reserve of reserves" team or even if they simply put on the pitch any Junior team :p

I guess I was extremely wrong :d or maybe the best available players now, just represent other countries ? :p

Yes, USA is definitely a baseball powerhouse but this isn't like basketball where they always beat the other teams. Dominican Republic and Japan's teams are on a similar level to them. Mexico is still a pretty good team themselves too. A similar comparison to this game would be Czech Republic beating Canada in men's ice hockey.

USA honestly hasn't looked too great this tournament so far. They had a closer game against GB than most people expected and they got blown out by Mexico here. They're missing a lot of their best pitchers this tournament and that cost them in this game. Mexico on the other hand, had a great outing from their starting pitcher and that really set the tone for them.

While not likely, there's also a chance that Colombia or Canada could also beat them.

Pool B Scores

:AUS 8 - 3 :CZE

:KOR 22 - 2 :CHN (5)

Pool B Standings

:JPN Japan 4-0 (+30 RD) Quarterfinals

:AUS Australia 3-1 (+10) Quarterfinals

:KOR Korea 2-2 (+14) Qualified for WBC 2026

:CZE Czechia 1-3 (-14) Qualified for WBC 2026

:CHN China 0-4 (-40) Relegated to WBC Qualifiers

:DOM leads :NCA by 6 in the seventh inning. Looks like :NCA will be eliminated and has a tough WBC Qualifiers group for the next edition. They have a surprising amount of Minor League prospects so I think they were here just a little too soon.

Edited by owenp_23

Half hour away from an under-the-radar game in Pool C.

:COL can get to 2-0 and great positioning after the :CAN:USAgame.

:GBR is playing for their tournament lives and could really stir the pot with an upset.

Edited by owenp_23