website statistics

Canada National Thread

juddy96

1 minute ago, james89 said:

Maybe Paris will be our year!

It's tough - Tammara Thibeault gave it a good fight but the dutch athlete was just better - it was a tough draw. Paris is only 3 years away hopefully Thibeault will stick around till then, she's a talent.

Oh, ya, no complains about the decision. If anything her winning the first round was a little generous.

5 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Erica Weibe's draw is crazy hard. First round vs Defending world bronze medalist Estonia, who she lost to at those worlds. Then if she wins that its likely vs Japan (silver medalist in 2019)

Tough draw but she has beat the Estonian athlete before. Here's hoping!

Pamela Ware shockingly had a failed dive. It's really upsetting to see her not make the final in that way and very disappointing since she was looking really good up until the 4th round. 

On the flip side Jennifer Abel looked fabulous qualifying for the final easily in 3rd mere points out of 2nd. 

Shocking ending for Ware.  Even with the miss on round 4, she just needed to land on her head in round 5 to make the final.

On the flip side, as James said, Abel looked great, only 5 pts behind the 2nd Chinese diver.  Top 3 looked much better than everyone else.

1 minute ago, orangeman said:

Shocking ending for Ware.  Even with the miss on round 4, she just needed to land on her head in round 5 to make the final.

On the flip side, as James said, Abel looked great, only 5 pts behind the 2nd Chinese diver.  Top 3 looked much better than everyone else.

I'm so glad I kept the feed on long enough to see Ware smiling with Meghan Benfeito and coaches by her side - they kept showing her looking visibly upset and it was heartbreaking. 

Really looking forward to tuning in to see Santavy in an hour.  I watched weightlifting the other night for the first time to see Charron win gold and I found the whole thing very captivating.  Not at all what I expected.  Full of drama and strategy and emotions.  Super entertaining.  

Just now, orangeman said:

Really looking forward to tuning in to see Santavy in an hour.  I watched weightlifting the other night for the first time to see Charron win gold and I found the whole thing very captivating.  Not at all what I expected.  Full of drama and strategy and emotions.  Super entertaining.  

Real shame it's basically being decimated next Olympics (five weight classes w/ ten lifters each)

14 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Real shame it's basically being decimated next Olympics (five weight classes w/ ten lifters each)

Too much doping, I guess.  But also not one of the sexy events, even if it's truly Faster Higher Stronger. It's also an event that has athletes from areas that aren't as represented at the Olympics, particularly Central and SE Asia.  

2 minutes ago, orangeman said:

Too much doping, I guess.  But also not one of the sexy events, even if it's truly Faster Higher Stronger. It's also an event that has athletes from areas that aren't as represented at the Olympics, particularly Central and SE Asia.  

TBH I think corruption and incompetence from the IWF is an even bigger issue than doping (well, they are linked, part of the reason there is so much doping is because of the corruption within the sport).

The IWF is def an F tier world governing body across the board. The only thing they have going is that their sport is entertaining when presented the right way.