website statistics

Russia-Ukraine Crisis Consequences in Sports

Totallympics

2 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

Is this supposed to be news ? They can do as they please,but i hope they won't be surprised when no one ends up following them and everyone makes excuses as to why they didn't.I don't really understand all this  ''may'',may not crap,if your that outraged than just say you won't be there and get it over with,far as i seen even in the Ukraine position among athletes isn't unanonious on this,so this just feels like screaming into the wind

3 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

There will be a “boycott” in the sense that we only send a low-ranking official to the Opening Ceremony, but the Team will go.

well, that's another story

Old Italian IOC Member Franco Carraro said that most likely there won't be any high ranking official to the Opening Ceremony because they (and also the organizers, even if they will never admit that) are afraid of a possible terrorist attack by the Islamic supporters related to the :ISR vs Hamas (& friends) current situation

the only people outside :UKR and :RUS still talking of that conflict are those idiots running the EU, nobody else cares about that anymore

Edited by phelps

1 minute ago, phelps said:

well, that's another story

Old Italian IOC Member Franco carraro said that most likely there won't be any high ranking official to the Opening Ceremony because they (and also the organizers, even if they will never admit that) are afraid of a possible terrorist attack by the Islamic supporters related to the :ISR vs Hamas (& friends) current situation

the only people outside :UKR and :RUS still talking of that conflict are those idiots running the EU, nobody else cares about that anymore

This was way back,but i about died laughing hearing an African Olympic committee president tell ours that the baltics are the ones causing all the drama and should be thrown out of the olympics,europeans have this thing where everyone is supposed to have their position on everything and it's funny in cases like this when it gets shut down.Anyway point is your right,Africa,Asia litereally don't give a fuck,honestly,these european countries sense of self importance is just sad

54 minutes ago, Biathlonfan said:

Ok,so then no big deal if it happens

That's not the worry.

The fear isn't, and never was, Moscow 1980 or Los Angeles 1984 for anyone but Bach and his own personal gripes.

The fear is Munich 1972.

A couple of hotheads who think they can strike a blow for freedom if they attack some judoku or gymnast aligned to the Russian Army club coming out of the cantina.

Put it this way. I would REALLY not be comfortable sharing a tower block in Paris with AIN athletes. I don't like the odds.

4 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

That's not the worry.

The fear isn't, and never was, Moscow 1980 or Los Angeles 1984 for anyone but Bach and his own personal gripes.

The fear is Munich 1972.

A couple of hotheads who think they can strike a blow for freedom if they attack some judoku or gymnast aligned to the Russian Army club coming out of the cantina.

Put it this way. I would REALLY not be comfortable sharing a tower block in Paris with AIN athletes. I don't like the odds.

I’d say it’s much more likely the Israeli team would be attacked like in 1972 again, 

3 hours ago, Orangehair43 said:

‘Unsurprisingly it was quickly criticised by Ukrainian athletes, including the Winter Olympic skeleton star Vladyslav Heraskevych, who questioned whether there would be any Russian or Belarusians in Paris who did not support the invasion of his country.’

Considering there have been biathletes from both countries who made it clear they were (strongly) against the invasion, I'd assume the same goes for some summer sports.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, Orangehair43 said:

'Sir' 'Seb' Coe being against this makes it seem being in favour of this is actually the right thing to do..... :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, Mateus Nagime said:

no idea... by my numbers:

BLR has 1 in cycling, 2 in wrestling, 1 in rowing
RUS has 2 in cylcing, 4 in wresting, 5 in athletics.

but not sure if they counted athletics and swimming on it - as it's no direct quota.

I think that they arent allowed to compete in athletics, but are in swimming.