website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Los Angeles 2028 Sports Programme

9 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

I wonder if weightlifting and taekwondo might provide some indirect help. Part of their system is that any NOC can only gain quotas in a limited number of events, unless (in the case of taekwondo) they are right at the top of the world rankings - so if a nation has a TKD in the top 5 in the world, they get a quota place, and technically could get one for every weight - BUT if they get 4 or more in this method, but don't get them all, they cannot pick up new quotas to 'fill out' the team; this allows tkd to keep the Q numbers slightly lower, and slightly more varied, than might otherwise be the case.

The effect might be that you need to use two world champs, or a world champs and a Q regatta, and a relatively limited number of spots are distributed in the first event - and if the 'big' nations qualify a set number they cannot go to the Q tournament to gain more boats, and those that can go to the Q regatta can only take as many boats as would get them to the limit too.

If you then allow nations qualified in certain boats but not others to have rowers enter two events if they wish (i.e 2 from the M8+ can enter the M2- for a nation that otherwise cannot get an M2- boat (or, in extremist, 4 from the M8+ enter the M4-) you should still get a pretty full timetable but reduced quotas a bit, while keeping the continental spread - would mostly affect teams like GBR, NED, ROM, USA who will have large numbers of boats come what may but are maybe not top 6 in world in a few of them.

But they can still enter the less high ranked event, they are absolutely not barred from it, but can only use existing quotas/athletes in other boats to do it.

This would NOT however cause any disadvantage to rowers of small nations who are never going to be caught in the limits - indeed, it might allow a lower ranked boat from a non trad nation to sneak another Q place in certain bigger boats if the final Q regatta place/ or continental place were not open to bigger nations with already strong entries guaranteed.

Thoughts?

it only favors the sport's powehouses, that basically can do whatever they want and the others can only hope that their class is the one left behind by the big names/teams

it also makes some classes heavily unbalanced, which is a shame for the neutral viewers (just think of the Olympic and non-Olympic classes in weightlifting, wrestling, the same taekwondo at the world champs...there are A-level medals and B-level medals...and that's not good for the sport at all)

I'm totally against any limited chance of qualification in all sports...if there are X categories, a Nation must be always allowed to try and fill a full team in all of them

9 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

I didn't. Rogge was a bit ineffective, but he was relatively straight - a week pontiff but not a totally corrupted one. Bach was, to me anyway, a Rodrigo Borgia figure from the outset.

Rogge is the man that let Russia do what they did from 2008 through 2014 (officially, because we all know that nothing changed from 2014 to nowadays, as the officials in charge are always the same)

at best, he's a blind and naive idiot

10 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

:IRC participation question will definitely be the forefront of LA28 headlines if lacrosse is approved by the IOC Session.

They are really pushing their luck... First, introducing a sport (or sports) that is (are) nowhere near deserving to be at the olympics for apparently local political reasons, then letting the athletes cap goes wild without concerns for future hosts and now asking for breaking the nation-states basis of participation. 

God, I wish IOC tells them to fuck off with their silly ideas (not going to happen obv).

Edited by De_Gambassi

2 hours ago, De_Gambassi said:

They are really pushing their luck... First, introducing a sport (or sports) that is (are) nowhere near deserving to be at the olympics for apparently local political reasons, then letting the athletes cap goes wild without concerns for future hosts and now asking for breaking the nation-states basis of participation. 

God, I wish IOC tells them to fuck off with their silly ideas (not going to happen obv).

Not to mention rowing which will take place in a 1500m course, though I blame World Rowing for seemingly not caring enough to request an alternative location for the rowing.

Since we are talking about increasing quotas here's a look of my minimum quota increase for existing events. This was made under the principal that Olympic events should have 12 entrants for teams (3+ athletes) and 16 entrants for individuals/pairs. Two exceptions, synchronized diving and rowing eights were made as they do not justify an increase to 16 and 12 entrants and thus were only bumped up to 12 and 8 respectively. As I tried to keep the increases to a minimum some athlete quotas were doubled up (e.g. the increase in fencing teams will use an athlete from the individual event so only sees an overall increase of 2 per team).

Aquatics (Artistic Swimming) - 12

Aquatics (Diving) - 16

Aquatics (Water Polo) - 22

Basketball (3x3) - 32

Canoeing (Sprint) - 28

Cycling (BMX Freestyle) - 8

Cycling (Track) - 40

Fencing - 48

Rowing - 90

Sport Climbing (Sprint) - 4

Weightlifting - 40

Total - 340

Clearly the IOC hates rowing, even holding the eights to 8 entrants they are missing quite a lot of athletes. Weightlifting is obviously being punished for its doping issues as it is missing by far the most individual/pair quotas.

The 10,500 athlete quota was made under the 2016 program which included 306 events in 28 sports. 2024 will have 329 in 32 sports with only breaking (32 athletes) not being a core sport going into 2028. You can't increase the number events without increase the athlete quota. It's that simple.

4 hours ago, dcro said:

Let the floodgates open. We shall have 500 NOCs by 2036 then, representing all kinds of nations and stuff.

Sometimes I wonder how it would look like if we had one European Union olympic team vs USA

Edited by rafalgorka