website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Los Angeles 2028 Sports Programme

6 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

The key is Lacrosse is an indigenous sport in the US, and North America - in a way even flag football and basketball are not. There are major political benefits, potentially, to including a sport like that. 

That's local politics, which should not be IOC concerns. If IOC validates such a weak international sport, that would be a travesty of the olympic universal ideals.

5 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

That's local politics, which should not be IOC concerns. If IOC validates such a weak international sport, that would be a travesty of the olympic universal ideals.

Local politics coming into play is sort of an inevitable consequence of allowing the host organizer to pick some additional sports. Especially when presumably there was some quid pro quo wrt adding cricket, a sport that was obviously not *really* picked by the LA organizers.

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Yeah, it’s interesting to see all the Europeans complaining about diversity when the program was shaped by their interests and strengths for basically a century.

Good luck in selling cricket in USA. You could hardly accept soccer which is the most popular sport in the world. And now you want cricket in Los Angeles? Some of these US fans would be more interested in hot dog eating competition than cricket IMO :lol:  Cricket is fine for Commonwealth Games to celebrate centuries of colonialism but there's a reason why countries outside of the British rule never found any interest in that.

4 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Local politics coming into play is sort of an inevitable consequence of allowing the host organizer to pick some additional sports. Especially when presumably there was some quid pro quo wrt adding cricket, a sport that was obviously not *really* picked by the LA organizers.

I don't see local politics in play with Tokyo and Paris choices. Not to the same degree anyway.

Everyone were ok with Tokyo additional sport, they were borderline olympic sports that made sense in a japanese context. Since then, it has been a mess. I guess RL nine is a lock for 2032 :facepalm:

4 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

I don't see local politics in play with Tokyo and Paris choices. Not to the same degree anyway.

LA also stepped up to host an Olympics no one else really wanted at the time. There’s definitely an attitude that we get to dictate the terms for hosting the Olympics. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Monzanator said:

Good luck in selling cricket in USA. You could hardly accept soccer which is the most popular sport in the world. And now you want cricket in Los Angeles? Some of these US fans would be more interested in hot dog eating competition than cricket IMO :lol:  Cricket is fine for Commonwealth Games to celebrate centuries of colonialism but there's a reason why countries outside of the British rule never found any interest in that.

You simply don't get it. ICC/India is not selling cricket to USA. IOC/LA is looking at Cricket viewerships in India. They are counting that there are enough Indian origin HNIs in Silicon Valley who will pay top dollar to see Indian national team. We don't care if common Americans don't watch Cricket. We don't care if Europeans find Cricket boring. If you find flag football/lacrosse more Olympic worthy than Cricket then fine continue to whine. Your choice. We don't care. 

8 hours ago, Monzanator said:

None of these new sports have any depth. I mean even cricket World Cup has 10 teams playing and they make it an Olympic sport? How they will include West Indies anyway? Another change for a change chasing the mythical new fans? Good luck in explaining the tiktok generation the overs and runs scored :lol:

the 10-team World Cup is a technical choice, they could have invited/qualified way more than that ;)

West Indies are not such an issue...they will split into the single Nations normally being together under the WI Flag (and there will be at least 4 or 5 very competitive teams resulting from that)

overs and runs are just like in baseball, only with a different format...the basic principles are not so complicated (Baseball has even more heavily impacting obscure rules to know before you can properly understand the game, tbh)

8 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Cricket is no more complex than baseball - sure, like baseball, there's jargon and certain arbitrary rules, but the fundamentals are pretty straightforward, and can be taught in ten minutes. In addition, a hell of a lot more countries have some sort of cricket than baseball, which is very geographically limited.

As for qualification, there will be rankings, hosts and possibly a final selection contest.

I'd be surprised if they don't go on a 1 per continent basis for starters - GBR, AUS, JAM, RSA, IND, then the Host, USA, then one specifically from Asia (say, PAK) because of the five full members there (and to protect India for the money), and then one from a final tournament with remaining full members outside asia, two from Asia, maybe one Caribbean island, and handful of top associates - say NZL, IRL, AFG, SRI, NED, GUY, CAN, NAM

An Olympic 8 team comp is doable in a whole series of formats, though 2 groups of 4 seems the most obvious - although knowing the IOC it'll be one giant group of 8, to eliminate just two teams!

that's not true...WBSC has 183 full members and 8 provisional members

Baseball is played all over the world, even if the African Nations are not competitive and Europe is definitely not a dominant force (still, there are more good baseball teams than cricket's in the Old Continent)

3 hours ago, Jinzha said:

I haven't seen anyone mention it yet, but apparently sport climbing is out? That was by far my favorite of the new sports and a really great addition to the Olympic Programme. It surprises me as well, cause climbing is practiced a lot in the US and everywhere. Just a huge missed opportunity if climbing gets dropped honestly. This sport deserves 3 seperate medals for speed, lead and boulder.

sport climbing, skateboarding and surf have become core sports

they're in and will stay for a long time

p.s. in LA sport climbing should finally have all of its 3 disciplines in their original version and get rid of the technically senseless combined event

Look I don´t mind, 5-6 new added sports I really don´t mind at the end, the more the merrier as someone once said...

The sole and only important question however still remains, how much it will affect the other disciplines, will be the quota limits removed, or specially increased for the new sports or the added new sports will even take their quotas from them/other disciplines removed/other events quotas reduced to minimum ?

If it is A then Super, go ahead, no problem, welcome Cricket, Croquet, Flag-nofootplay-ball, lacrosse, squah etc...

If B - Even better, I will be first to sign

If C- Then NO. Enough with Bach and his "improvers youth/urban-agenda strategy" that ultimately only lead to destroy the entire Olympic value,

built up for so long in the past