website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Brisbane 2032 News

As an Australian I must say that every decision so far and in the future in regards to these games is and has been extremely political, aimed at nothing but short term votes. It’s worth noting that there’s an election in this state in the upcoming months as well, and hence influenced this decision. 

15 minutes ago, phelps said:

when you can make money out of something, our politicians are always ready :bones:

Pretty hard to make money off the Olympics these days.  Certain people - yes, including politicians - would benefit.  Others, including most tax-paying citizens, likely would not.

I am cautiously optimistic that Milano-Cortina goes off well.  That seems like far from a guarantee though.

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

What a mistake going to Australia so soon after 2000

The way Agenda 2020(+5) awards the games is a big mistake. The complete lack of transparancy and awarding the games this far (11 years!) in advance seems bound to create issues.

29 minutes ago, Dkats said:

As an Australian I must say that every decision so far and in the future in regards to these games is and has been extremely political, aimed at nothing but short term votes. It’s worth noting that there’s an election in this state in the upcoming months as well, and hence influenced this decision. 

The opposition are fully backing the games so I don’t think they would cancel it if they win. 

1 minute ago, Orangehair43 said:

The opposition are fully backing the games so I don’t think they would cancel it if they win. 

Yes I highly doubt either would cancel as that would be extremely embarrassing for reputation but I think it’s more of a political thing with the stadiums and what to do in that regard. I’m not sure if both sides will agree with the Gabba decision, whether to redevelop it or not. The opposition hasn’t made their position clear yet. It will be interesting to see it unfold over the next months 

The government doesn’t want to build a new stadium because of $$$ and they know how this will impact votes 🗳️🗳️. It’s all about these stupid politicians playing their annoying games, rather than making proper decisions to ensure we can host it well

1 hour ago, NearPup said:

The way Agenda 2020(+5) awards the games is a big mistake. The complete lack of transparancy and awarding the games this far (11 years!) in advance seems bound to create issues.

It could have been a positive, but it has become a big negative.  2030 was (and possibly still is) a disaster.  2032 isn't looking so good as well.  Thank goodness for the United States to save the day.  Bach's legacy may not be looking so hot these days

15 hours ago, phelps said:

the mistake is going to Brisbane...another Sydney run would have no problem

15 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

The mistake was awarding the games 11 years out, in the middle of the pandemic, with no other bids to compare them to.  Not to mention that Australia was adamant about pushing for Brisbane because of the calendar as opposed to Melbourne since they would be a harder sell in the usual July-August window.

It's not Australia that was adamant but the IOC that is adamant they won't allow the games outside of northern hemisphere summer and this rules out both Melbourne and Sydney. If the IOC weren't so busy catering to the desires of certain countries and their broadcasting networks we could have a games in Melbourne.

Edited by dullard

19 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

It could have been a positive, but it has become a big negative.  2030 was (and possibly still is) a disaster.  2032 isn't looking so good as well.  Thank goodness for the United States to save the day.  Bach's legacy may not be looking so hot these days

Well, I guess, if somebody refuses the Games, I guess China will forward again 😄😄. Shanghai is a candidate for 2036 but I think they would not refuse to have the opportunity even earlier 😄😄