website statistics

Men's Basketball FIBA European Championship 2022

Totallympics

39 minutes ago, phelps said:

very proud performance by Croatia, but Giannis (and his teammates) were just too strong in the end...

Italy trying to make their own life complicated against Estonia...

but we all know it's gonna be a very difficult championship for us, especially after Gallinari's injury...:cry:

I think Italy's main weakness is the absence of high class guards

13 hours ago, George_D said:

I think Italy's main weakness is the absence of high class guards

not only...we lack size big time, we basically don't have any true big man in the middle of the paint...we have to play with people like Melli as the top center (when he used to be a "3" in the NBA and a small "4" with Olimpia Milano this year...

p.s. Mannion is a high class guard, when he remembers to be...:p

30 points loss against Finland who murdered us with all those 3 points shots + our missing one point throws and bad performance of Slaughter and is what is... cold shower for everyone, coach, players, fans and journalists. Im hoping that we will play much better against Israel and will beat them, as well Netherlands later, qualifying to second round is still possible.

Good win for us yesterday over Croatia although I didn't have the chance to watch it. We are still not at full strength with several players just coming back from injury (Papagiannis, Papapetrou, Sloukas) and hopefully playing their way into form throughout this tournament.

I think if we beat Italy today, then it's almost impossible for us to not finish first place in the group. We have our two most difficult opponents first, I don't see us struggling against the other three teams in the group...

On 11/15/2021 at 7:16 PM, Makedonas said:

I think this can be a very good Greek roster IF everyone is healthy and shows up:

Guards: Sloukas, Calathes, Dorsey, Larentzakis

Forwards: G.Antetokounmpo, Papapetrou, Mitoglou, T.Antetokounmpo, Papanikolaou

Centres: Papagiannis, K.Antetokounmpo

That is only 11 players so I would give the last spot to another forward probably, either Printezis (he will be 37 so that is why I didn't include him because I'm not sure if he will still play for the national team, plus he seems to be declining, although he might want to play one last time after he had to miss Olympic qualifying due to injury), or Kalaitzakis (he is playing for the Bucks but so far only appeared in 5/14 games for them). 

Other than that, no one else really stands out and there are dozens of other players that can be in contention for any position if some of these guys aren't available.

We could also probably use another centre otherwise, but Koufos is now in the NBA G League and he has really declined the last few years (despite not being that old yet), and I don't think Mantzoukas (our big young talent) will be ready as he is only 18 and barely plays for Panathinaikos.

Well in the end of the 11 players I predicted, 10 were correct. Mitoglou's doping suspension obviously prevents him from playing, but I did not expect Lountzis to make the team. Agravanis is very good and I can't believe I forgot to mention him in this post back in November.

Personally I would have chosen Kalaitzakis over Lountzis but I am not the coach :d

Disappointed with the final outcome of our match with Turkey. Unlike the match with Spain, which was always one way train, today was much more even and the final score doesn't do justice.

Great first half for us, where we were leading pretty much the entire time and playing confident. In the third things started drifting more towards Turkey, but not by much and it ended with 3-4 point deficit and it was still an open game. But then the fourth quarter came and everything fell apart.. I know, that theoretically we shouldn't even aim at beating a team like Turkey with X number of NBA players and others at the top of the Euroleague, but it's frustrating when you play good and never manage to get one win in such matches... Let's hope we can get one in the next matches, because this team doesn't deserve to come home winless.

Kudos to the Germans and the foreign spectators, the attendance in Cologne is "Olympic level". I mean, it actually does feel like we are playing at the Olympic Games in that crazy group with that many spectators in the stands. :lol:

(And lol, please, Slovenia, don't break some record against us, have some mercy in the second half.)