website statistics

Track Cycling Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

10 minutes ago, dodge said:

And with the rankings being based on best 2 of 3 Nations Cup results, we will have most quotas mathematically confirmed after Hong Kong 

Yeah - Realistically we probably can confirm about 90% of the quotas across the 4 team events but there are a couple of interesting battles to keep an eye on.

Women's Team Pursuit:

The field is pretty much set. The only potential change is whether China will be able to overtake Japan for the 10th and final quota - but it is difficult to see how they can find the additional 400 points that they would need. So realistically, I think the current top-10 will be the line-up for Paris.

Women's Team Sprint:

One of most interesting of the events where there is still scope for significant changes in the line-up. The biggest question of all likely to be whether :FRA can secure a quota. In my opinion, they are in a tight fight with :CAN and :NED for spots 7 & 8. the Dutch are likely to be safe given they still have 2 NC events to count so it will probably come down to straight fight between Canada and France. There's around a 300-point gap to close. Situation slightly complicated by the fact that Canada don't appear to be competing in Hong Kong (although some contributors here have expressed doubt on that point)

Men's Team Pursuit:

I think the field is pretty much set - thankfully :GBR have managed to pull themselves back to the middle of the pack with their last couple of performances. There is a bit of a battle between :BEL and :CHN for the last spot but looks likely that Belgium will ultimately take the final quota. 

Men's Team Sprint:

Extremely tight battle between :POL and :CAN for the final quota with the teams separated by just 45 points. The current entry lists for Hong Kong don't have Canada entered and Poland have been showing some good form so they may just have the edge.

• 3 weeks later...

Current track cycling quota projections By NOC after the Nations Cup II event in Hong Kong:

image.png

There are still 2 ranking events left in the qualifying window:

1.) 2024 PanAmerican Championships - Carson :USA (3-Apr - 7-Apr)

2.) Nations Cup III - Milton :CAN: (12-Apr - 14-Apr) 

I wonder if a Country could switch 1 or 2 quota places from the women to the men's division: namely, at least 1 of those 2 women's sprint/keirin places being recycled to 1 or 2 men's sprint/keirin riders? :mumble:

2 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Current track cycling quota projections By NOC after the Nations Cup II event in Hong Kong:

image.png

There are still 2 ranking events left in the qualifying window:

1.) 2024 PanAmerican Championships - Carson :USA (3-Apr - 7-Apr)

2.) Nations Cup III - Milton :CAN: (12-Apr - 14-Apr) 

What? What happened that we (:CZE) Is in men team sprint now?

Edited by stepansevs
Flag

54 minutes ago, stepansevs said:

What? What happened that we (:CZE) Is in men team sprint now?

Sorry but it won't last :d. Poland didn't compete in Hong Kong and neither did Canada (and they still have their continental champs)

18 hours ago, phelps said:

I wonder if a Country could switch 1 or 2 quota places from the women to the men's division: namely, at least 1 of those 2 women's sprint/keirin places being recycled to 1 or 2 men's sprint/keirin riders? :mumble:

Have to admit, I was struggling a bit to figure out who would be the second rider for :ITA behind Miriam Vece. Giadia Capobianchi was at the Europeans in 2023 but she hasn't been at any of the main track events since. The other name I had in the mix was Francesca Selva but again, she hasn't really done much.

2 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Have to admit, I was struggling a bit to figure out who would be the second rider for :ITA behind Miriam Vece. Giadia Capobianchi was at the Europeans in 2023 but she hasn't been at any of the main track events since. The other name I had in the mix was Francesca Selva but again, she hasn't really done much.

there's no way Capobianchi or Selva would be selected for Paris

if they have to keep those 2 speed spots, most likely they would use one of them to select another endurance girl (so to enlarge the roster of the pursuit quartet/omnium/madison group)

I think we could also use one of the road racing spots for that, as Balsamo could well have a shot at the road race (so to open up some space for Barbieri, Fidanza, Alzini and be able to choose at the last minute who to place in the team pursuit next to Balsamo, Paternoster and Guazzini, who basically are a lock)

however, I still hope they can get one of our male sprinters a chance in both sprint and keirin races

8 hours ago, dodge said:

There's no chance of using a women's quota for the men's events

in this case, it's quite obvious that one of the endurance girls will get the spot next to Vece to enlarge our roster for the pursuit/omnium/madison team