website statistics

Track Cycling Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

34 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Presumably GBR are going to have to pull up a few trees to sneak in in the Team pursuit...

I think I ran the numbers after the world champs and I don't think that GB's position is as bad as the performance director made out at the time. 

:GBR are currently 150 points behind :CHN and just over 500 points behind :BEL

:CHN are pretty much guaranteed to take a top 2 finish in the Asian champs so will pick up at least an additional 810 points. 

:GBR will probably put out their strongest team in the Europeans in January and if they don't take top spot, should be able to pick up a top 3 position to get at least 720 points.  

Personally, I don't see :BEL making the medal matches in the Euros but I do expect them to finish within 5-8 - in line with their 2023 performance.  

When it comes to the Nations Cup, if :GBR can be in the medals in both Adelaide and Hong Kong, then they wont need to send their best team to the final event in Milton. :CHN recorded a 10th and 7th for the Nations Cups in 2023 whilst :BEL had 2 6th place finishes and if the 2023 results are replicated next year, GB would comfortably overtake both Belgium and China. 

My gut feeling at the moment is that :GBR will be able to finish ahead of both :BEL and :CHN and could end up being ranked either 7th or 8th in the final list. If I had to make a call now, I would say that :CHN will miss out on qualification. 

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Dragon said:

Interesting news that Josh Tarling is training with the GB pursuit team with a view to possibly doubling up on road and track in Paris.

if he adapts well to the track requirements in terms of specific skills, this brings the :GBR quartet on a different perspective 

:ITA and :DEN should start worrying :drama:

9 hours ago, Dragon said:

Interesting news that Josh Tarling is training with the GB pursuit team with a view to possibly doubling up on road and track in Paris.

Interesting indeed - would presumably free up a road Race quota if Tarling could ride TT on a track quota? Given the parcours, slightly surprised similar ideas haven't surfaced around Pidcock (MTB/RR)

• 1 month later...

Don’t understand the latest Olympic Rankings on the UCI site - apparently as at 16/1/24, but no points from last week’s Euros?  Anyone else think this is wrong, or just me?  I am as curious as the others above to see how the actual results amend the GB position, but seems they have dropped two places to 13th.

20 minutes ago, Cmon Mary said:

Don’t understand the latest Olympic Rankings on the UCI site - apparently as at 16/1/24, but no points from last week’s Euros?  Anyone else think this is wrong, or just me?  I am as curious as the others above to see how the actual results amend the GB position, but seems they have dropped two places to 13th.

The Olympic track rankings on the UCI website were a bit of a mess towards the end of last year too so we shouldn't be too surprised that they are wrong again.

:GBR haven't dropped to 13th - not only have the UCI not added the 2024 European Champs points, but they have also removed the 2023 points so all the European nations have dropped back.

I ran the new points totals during the European champs and put them on the European Championship thread but basically GB would move up to 9th but that will only be until the Asian champs are done at the end of Feb.

When you factor in the likelihood that China will be 2nd in Asia, GB will drop back down to 11th but will have reduce the gap on both Belgium and China ahead of the Nations Cup.

I was looking at the entry lists for the upcoming Nations cup in Adelaide, and there is no Chinese team in the men's team pursuit. I'm not sure if this is correct but if so then that is basically saying that the Chinese federation aren't that focused on qualifying for this event at all. Unless I'm missing something.

15 minutes ago, TeamGB said:

I was looking at the entry lists for the upcoming Nations cup in Adelaide, and there is no Chinese team in the men's team pursuit. I'm not sure if this is correct but if so then that is basically saying that the Chinese federation aren't that focused on qualifying for this event at all. Unless I'm missing something.

Tactically it may not be a bad call for them actually. I think it mirrors their approach from 2023 season where they missed the first round and appeared in rounds 2 and 3 (but could be wrong on that)

As it is, they can only count 2 Nations Cup results and with round 2 being in Hong Kong it is safe to assume they will be there and I think the expectation is that Milton will the weakest round of the three as it is the last in the series and by then nations who rely on their road cyclists as part of their squad may not be putting out their strongest teams. 

Realistically, unless something goes horribly, horribly wrong, GB will finish above both Belgium and China but by playing smart, I think China believe that they can sneak ahead of Belgium. 

On 1/16/2024 at 10:01 PM, Rafa Maciel said:

Tactically it may not be a bad call for them actually. I think it mirrors their approach from 2023 season where they missed the first round and appeared in rounds 2 and 3 (but could be wrong on that)

As it is, they can only count 2 Nations Cup results and with round 2 being in Hong Kong it is safe to assume they will be there and I think the expectation is that Milton will the weakest round of the three as it is the last in the series and by then nations who rely on their road cyclists as part of their squad may not be putting out their strongest teams. 

Realistically, unless something goes horribly, horribly wrong, GB will finish above both Belgium and China but by playing smart, I think China believe that they can sneak ahead of Belgium. 

The GB Team seem to be focused on the Milton round as well - comments from Ethan Vernon on BBC Sport site after Gold at the Euros:

"It is one of the last races we will do against the guys here, so it is nice to take a good time and take some confidence going into Paris," Vernon said.

"A few of us are going off onto the road now with our teams, so we are not going to be back together for a few months.

"It was nice to have a high like that before we go off and do our own things for a bit, then come back for the last Nations Cup... I think it will get better going into Paris."

Seems remarkably confident, almost cocky, that they are as good as qualified even before the Nations Cup starts.  I have a bad feeling about this....