website statistics
Best Moments of Tokyo 2020
Posted

Athletics  W PV :USA  Katie Nageotte winning it the hard way. (Because of all the early misses,  it offered a good example to explain to my wife the tie-breaker rules for vertical jumps.)  Breathtaking women's 4x4

Cycling Track, A great last North American night from :CAN Kelsey Mitchell and  :USA Jennifer Valente to end things.

Basketball 3x3 :USA for the women, and great to see :LAT  beat :ROC  for gold.

Handball, Volleyball, :FRA winning 2 golds 30 minutes apart.  Great Overall 6 medals for :FRA in team sports.

Equestrian, Jessica Springsteen and the :USA team wimnning silver.

Rhythmic Gymnastics, :BUL Group and Linoy Ashram :ISR winning gold.

Wrestling:  Gable Dan Steveson :USA winning one for the ages.

Modern Pentathlon a :GBR 2 for 2.

Handball, as above a :FRA 2 for 2.

Rowing:  A :GRE and :CAN Gold.

Artistic Gymnastics.  :USA Suni Lee and Jade Carey stepping up.

Fencing  :USA   Lee Kiefer.

Canoe  :USA Nevin Harrison.

6 hours ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

Women's Volleyball is the one i wanted the most and we got it in an amazing display in semis and the final

My top one too for team sports.  Individually, first two to come to mind are Bobby Finke and Lee Kiefer, then add in Jennifer Valente.  

11 minutes ago, Vektor said:

I don't know, I haven't bought the newspaper and the article isn't on their site. I imagine that they must count 2 gold medals for her, OR they are counting 2 for Milák and 1 for Kapás. Either way, this projection only works if they are projecting 3 or 4 gold medals in swimming and at least 4 in Canoe Sprint

Even though the Americans are slightly faster this year in 400IM, I still would not bet against her in that race.     

For us, I don't look at predictions, but I saw today 1 forecast has US for 96 medals, another, the AP has 137.  I think 96 more likely.

11 minutes ago, ChandlerMne said:

Eurosport will broadcast opening ceremony??? Live? For free???

Its too good to be true. There will be some geoblocking or some other catch. :mumble:

Is that a surprise to you?  It will also be live and free in the USA and Canada.

17 hours ago, dcro said:

Yes, I secretly hoped for Sara!

It's just the magnitude of her involvement in the Swedish equestrian community that's impressive - bringing home a medal on a family-bred Swedish Warmblood. Can't get much more enthusiastic than that.

The way she went from gold to silver in an instant in 2012 is still for me one of the most heartbreaking Olympic finishes ever.  I'm happy to see her carrying the flag.

Your Tokyo 2020 Schedule
Posted
1 hour ago, intoronto said:

My schedule for next 2.5 weeks (weekdays)

8am-4pm work from home

4pm to 7pm sleep

7pm to 8am Olympics and wherever sleep fits in lol

Sorry you have to work, I was able to take off, so for me its 10AM to 6PM sleep.

1 hour ago, Orangehair43 said:

Will they want to bid? 2034 feels more realistic for them if Germany don’t got for Summer 2036.

The Koenigsee luge/bobsled/skeleton track just being destroyed might have some impact on when/if Munich might bid.

1 hour ago, dodge said:

Not showing sport live and leaving it to later in the day/evening is so archaic it’s hilarious. Literally wouldn’t be tolerated in any other country 

You're right about that.

The excuse you always hear from NBC is they are a commercial network, not a public broadcaster like everyone else, they have to maximize their ratings in prime time to get the most ad revenue they can.  The way they maximize ratings is put together a package of events in prime time that women will want to watch.  And what better than live swimming and taped gmnastics.

1 hour ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

it's a serious problem with NBC, i remember beijing 2008 when they started all the feeds on nbcolympics.com, they wouldn't have feeds of the main events and even swimming which was primetime in the east, i still had to wait 3 hours for them to show it in the west.

Then for vancouver even though it was the same timezone as LA, they only showed live the canada-usa hockey final and it was a big deal that it was a live coast to coast

For london they already improved and allowed streaming of gymanstics, swimming, track on nbcolympics, however you had to watch live because there would be no reruns, luckily an evening in london is still a pretty good time in here.

If i remember correctly Rio was the breakthrough, live primetime coast to coast, and everything fully open on nbcolympics, along with rewind and replay even during the live feed, off course the timezone was very good for us.

The one thing about peacock is that if you cant start the feed on time, you should wait for it to be over and then rewatch it, you cannot rewind midstream. I just turned on the diamond league on peacock and i cannot go to the start, just have to finish watching and then rewatch the beginning

As bad a history as NBC has about holding things to primetime, there still were some great moments I saw live on the 2008 streams.  One of the most satifying to watch was actually the first stream I ever saw, the 2008 Women's sabre final, sometime around 6AM Eastern.  And it was done without commentary, IIRC. To the best of my memory, they withheld so much from streams, there were probably only 10 events or so streamed where there was a US gold medal.

Vancouver as you say was even worse, I think they only streamed hockey and curling.

Then The Dick Ebersole Era ended at NBC and things started to improve.

1 hour ago, Quaker2001 said:

5 TB?  Damn.. I only have 6 TB of space for Tokyo.  I hope it's enough! :d

I'll send you a PM, I think there might be a couple of things here we can share.  And wait til you see the spreadsheet I've been putting together with all the events

Can I trouble you for a PM as well?

1 hour ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

While I'm fine watching it live on NBC Olympics with the OBS commentators good to see that now there is a way to see the us feed for gymnastics and track&field live

And it'll be separate commentary teams, not the usual suspects on NBC.  So that will be a nice change of pace there to get 2 completely different broadcasts.  Easier on those crews so they don't have to pull double duty

I'm being old school here, it's easy to conclude that athletics and artistic gymnastics are on Peacock  as opposed to regular networks is the old rule that once you broadcast something, its free game to other networks. e.g., you'd probably see the 100m replayed at least 100 times (slight exageration) before the prime time NBC broadcast if its shown live on any regular network.  So, again, NBC is embargoing prime events from the morning until they can be the first to show it on the primetime broadcast.   

As an American.. LOL.  I get things are different in Japan, but this reads like the kind of sleazy tactic some Americans were going with last year and probably got laughed out of the courtroom

Yes, a US Court would likely quickly dismiss such a case for lack of jurisdiction.  Also, to get an injunction you have to show a strong liklihood that you would prevail on the merits.   I don't know the Japanese legal system either, but I would think a Japanese court would do something similar.

Your Tokyo 2020 Schedule
Posted

In the Eastern US, I'll be living the nocturnal life, with things starting at about 7-8 PM and going to 9:00AM the next morning, and then try sleeping from about 930AM to  600PM  I already have the 2 weeks off from work,  To try and adjust quickly, I'll get up at about 5-6AM on July 23, then trying to take a long nap in the afternoon, following the Opening Ceremony. 

Just now, intoronto said:

Did the USA forget the walks were on the Olympic program? 

Yes, LOL, apparently so.  This must be first Olympics ever with zero USA race walkers.  I have not read anything about it, but I would think heat in Eugene had something to do with no one coming close to the standard.  Maybe in 2024, learning their lesson from here, they will have 20K trials in a cooler time of year.

:USA  257/339  75.81%

Archery    5/5

Art. Swim   1/2

Athletics   45/48

Badminton   2/5

Baseball/Softball 2/2

Basketball    3/4

Boxing      9/13

Canoe SL    4/4

Canoe SP   1/12

Cycling TR   5/12

Cycling Other 10/10