website statistics
13 hours ago, Biathlonfan said:

ok and ? Schult threw in a tornado.

How does that make it any better? Why not throw from the top of the Himalaya or in a wind canal?

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Realistically you have to subtract 5 or 6 meters. He is still one of the favorites for the Olympics, but nothing more.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

1 hour ago, EselTheDonkey said:

Big surprise at the German Winter Throwing Championships in Halle :GER 

Men's Javelin Throw

Max Dehning :GER 90,20m

Source: Ergebnisse | leichtathletik.de

By the way, there are other events still to come. I posted the standard already, because I'm not around this late afternoon/evening. But I guess it isn't impossible in Men's Discus Throw, even though I don't believe in another standard. Here's the results page, if you want to look for yourself: Ergebnisse | leichtathletik.de

Insane result, strongly doubt that he will be able to repeat it. Throwing 90 m less than half a year after turning 19 …

I think previously the youngest guy to throw 90 m was someone who did it shortly before turning 22. Most guys only throw 90 m in their late twenties.

Athletics WA World Championships 2023
Posted
1 hour ago, atlana said:

I think is not related to speed (hurdles, steeplechase), or judgement (disqualifications in horizontal jumps or lines in 200 or 400 meters). It is about events with a long history behind, And they are supported by many different countries all over the world: Japan, China, Colombia, Ecuador, Mexico, Peru, Spain, Italy, Sweden...Coincidentally, no one is an English-speaking country.

Not sure what you mean with "supported". Canada and Australia are both pretty good in race walking and both are english-speaking countries as far as i know.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, atlana said:

Hi, forget Dunfee hopes: Coe has said  that some events would be scrapped if they were not popular. I quote :“We have to make sure that we are investing in events that people really want to watch. There’s still too much assessment and decisions being made on a sort of misplaced nostalgia. When we make those decisions, we have to be able to stand behind the data that says, sadly, some of these are not capturing the imagination.”. I am afraid he's talking about walking events. So, all Spanish gold medals away!!!!

Would be great if they would get rid of race walking. The 2nd best option would be to turn it into a real sport (where the winner isn't decided by whether judges coincidentally catch someone cheating or not). I don't understand the need for race walking and i don't understand the need for breastroke in swimming. Breastroke swimming is the slowest possible way to swim and is even bad for your spine.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Posted (edited)

Quite surprising stat for me:

Number of top 8 finishes in field events (heptathlon/decathlon excluded):

:JAM: 8 (would have been 9 without Hibbert's injury)

:GER: 7

Also interesting:

Canada has 5 top 8 finishes in field events (decathlon included):

Katzberg: Gold

LePage: Gold

Warner: Silver

Rogers: Gold

Mitton: Silver

All of their top 8 finishers in field events won at least silver.

I think Australia and China also have 8 top 8 finishes in field events, don't think that any other country except the US has more top 8 finishes in field events than Jamaica/Australia/China.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Posted (edited)

https://worldathletics.org/competitions/world-athletics-championships/budapest23/placingtable

Really impressive by GB, they almost finished as the 3rd best nation. With the increased pressure on Kenya (doping) and the conflict in Ethiopia i could see them finishing 3rd next year, especially if Asher-Smith gets back into shape. Someone like Ojora could be a wildcard for them, i could see him making the final next year.

Number of points GB scored at previous editions:

2022: 68 (5th)

2019: 82 (6th)

2017: 105 (3rd)

2015: 94 (5th)

2013: 86 (7th)

2011: 73 (7th)

2009: 83 (7th)

2007: 63 (6th)

2005: 35 (12th)

2003: 46 (11th)

2001: 58 (8th)

1999: 70 (4th)

1997: 79 (4th)

1995: 77 (4th)

1993: 95 (4th)

1991: 76 (5th)

1987: 88 (4th)

1983: 96 (4th)

If we exclude 2017 (home advantage), those were the best world championships ever for GB in terms of points. I also think that those were the tied best world championships ever for GB in terms of the number of medals. The only other time they ever won more than 8 medals was in 1993. At the 2005, 2003 and 2001 world championships they won a combined number of 8 medals.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Josh said:

Yes, would agree that Canada overperformed, with almost every single medal contender making it on the podium.  I agree about Ahmed, he hasn't been in the best of form this season. Neither has DeGrasse, but I couldn't count him out as he does have the ability to perform under pressure during major events. Why would you not consider the men's 4x100m relay to be a medal contender?? They're the reigning Olympic silver medalists, and reigning World Champions, also winning bronze at Rio 2016. Failing to advance to the final was a huge underperformance. (Ajomale was ridiculously slow in the heats, must've been the weather impacting his performance, because in Rio he helped advance our relay to the final, and his 100m times have more or less been the same). When has Dunfee ever achieved anything in the 20km race walk? 4th, and a HUGE NR was already more than Canada could have asked from him. On the women's 4x400m relay, they've placed 4th at Eugene 2022, and also at Tokyo 2020, but don't know how they've achieved half the success they've had, with mediocre 400m runners. 

On Norway, don't see Skotheim or Rooth developing enough to become podium contenders by the time Paris comes around. Would favor Mayer (fully healthy), Warner, LePage, Neugebauer, Moloney (also fully healthy), Victor, and maybe Garland at the moment.

1) I didn't consider Canada a medal contender because their individual times weren't really good this season. You could say the same about Italy (or Japan/China in the past), so it probably wouldn't have been a shock to see Canada winning a medal. I considered the US, Jamaica and GB the clear favorites, but i guess in the 4 x 100 m relay you shouldn't count on none of the favorites dropping the baton.

2) You are right about Dunfee's medal record in the 20 km event, but i thought that the removal of the 50 km event from the olympic program would lead him to focus more on the 20 km event and becoming better there.

3) I considered the US, Jamaica, the Netherlands, GB and maybe Poland to be (clearly) better in the women's 4 x 400 m relay, but you can't deny the canadian track record. Canada might become the new Poland in this event, based on their individual times they probably shouldn't be as fast as they are, but somehow they are still always in the fight for the medals, which is even more surprising when you take into consideration that changeovers are less crucial in the longer relay.

4) I would honestly shocked if Mayer would win a medal next year. I probably wouldn't even bet on him fininshing the competition. Not even sure if he will qualify (he will have to finish a decathlon before Paris to qualify). For me LePage is probably the biggest favorite ahead of Neugebauer. I would rank the favorites for bronze as follows: Warner (age), Skottheim, Rooth, Garland, Tilga, Victor (age)

I have a lot of trust in the norwegian program. Both of the norwegians focused on the european U23 championships this year, which explains their performance in Budapest. Not sure how likely Moloney is to return at 100 %. I think he hasn't done anything the past 2 years. Neugebauer has horrible technique in multiple events (high jump, pole vault) and is quite heavy, so he might be the most injury prone out of all of them. On the other hand he has a lot of room for improvement if he ever fixes his technique. He could probably gain 100 points alone in high jump and pole vault. Neugebauer might have the problem (unlike LePage and Warner) that he still has to qualify. Germany has multiple guys who could achieve the standard next year, so he will probably have to score higher than them to qualify.

5) The only potential new canadian medal contender (someone who hasn't won a medal before) for me is Sutherland in women's 400 m hurdles, but even for her it will be difficult, given that Bol and McLaughlin seem like locks for 2 of the 3 available medals. Newman in women's pole vault is probably too old to have another big improvement. Anyone else turning into a medal contender would be a shock to me. Of course it doesn't help that athletes like Nettey, Barber or Debues-Stafford flamed out rather quickly.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Posted

Most impressive nations for me:

:NED: They would have won 7 medals without the "fails" of Bol and Hassan. Next year i could see them winning 10 medals.

:AUS: Very impressive of them to win 6 medals, 4 of them in high jump/pole vault. Not sure how many other nations won more medals in athletics + swimming (the two core olympic sports).

:GBR: Insane 10 medals. Not sure if they will be able to repeat this next year. I would be rather surprised if Pattison or the men's 4 x 400 m relay again win a medal next year, but on the other hand Asher-Smith (100/200 m), Muir (1500 m), Lake (high jump), Caudery (pole vault), Hughes (200 m) or the men's 4 x 100 m relay could win a medal.

:NOR: 4 medals is a great result given their population size and they have the potential for even more (Skottheim/Rooth/Ingvaldsen).

:CAN: 4 gold medals for them is absolutely absurd, even 6 medals seems like an overperformance. Did any of the canadian medal contenders not win a medal? I didn't consider Ahmed, De Grasse, the men's 4 x 100 m relay or the women's 4 x 400 m relay medal contenders, but Dunfee in men's 20 km race walking might have been considered a medal contender. I think they will win 4-6 medals next year.

Posted · Deleted by Sindo on 08/28/2023 - will be permanently removed on 08/27/2025
Deleted by Sindo on 08/28/2023 - will be permanently removed on 08/27/2025

Random brainfart that 12 year olds post online when their intellectual abilities don't allow them to address a comment in a grown-up way

Posted · Deleted by Sindo on 08/28/2023 - will be permanently removed on 08/27/2025
1 hour ago, Josh said:

Why are you going off-topic? You replied to someone who was talking about how "Germany failed to win a single medal" and then you go rambling about how Chopra is coached by a German coach (Literally nobody asked)

If you want to have a discussion here with one of the few users who will actually talk to you, replying with extraneous stats that nobody cares about won't help. Everything with you is an argument, you just don't know when to stop. 

The problem is that your intellectual abilities don't allow you to understand even simple things and at the same time you don't realize that someone with your intellectual abilities should try to speak as little as possible.

1) One of the reasons why Germany didn't do better is the poor quality of german coaches. The quality of coaches is poor because many of the best coaches went abroad. Bartonietz is one of those coaches, so i named him as an example. I tried to phrase this in a way that even someone like you is able to understand it.

2) The person who lead the discussion with me (that person wasn't you, but thanks for derailing the discussion, obviously you might as well just have stfu and stayed out of it if you aren't interested in this topic) should be able to decide on his/her own whether that information interests him/her or not. If the information doesn't interest him/her, he/she can chosse not to reply and end the discussion.

3) The only person who doesn't know his boundaries is you. You contributed absolutely nothing to this thread or this particular discussion. All you did was to show your lack of self-reflection. I sincerely hope for you that you will some day look back and realize how childish your behavior was. What i gathered from all your comments is that you are still quite young (14/15 years old?) and therefore there still should be some hope for you.

1 hour ago, dodge said:

The point of the comparison is to make fun of Germany. 

I hope this helps 

Not really, but it helps to understand that your intellectual abilities are very limited. You aren't the person who wrote the comment, so unless you have telepathic abilities you obviously can't know what the point of the comparison was. In addition to that i hope that this wasn't the intention of the comment, since it would negatively reflect on the person that wrote it and would also be insulting towards Pakistan (but maybe that wouldn't be too surprising for someone coming from India), making it seem as if a country like Pakistan is so weak that them winnining more medals than Germany has to be a sign of german failure. The person as well could have used India as reference (much bigger population than Pakistan), but maybe then it would have lead to the realization that India itself is doing really poorly (of course the same could be said about tax haven Ireland as well) and that indian users aren't really in a position to make fun of the sports program of any other country.

Number of medals for India (1.5 billion people): 1

Number of medals for Pakistan (236 million people): 1

Number of medals for Ireland (7 million people): 0

Number of medals for the British Virgin Islands (30 thousand people): 1

I hope this helps ;)

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Roamingrover86 said:

What happened to :GER Javelin programme though?

In recent past you had world class athletes like Rohler , Vetter , Hofmann ..

Tbh Deutschland don't have any super star in athletics at present, maybe be Mihambo but she is injured.

Perhaps the federation will put more effort to scout new talents and change their approach to coaching like the ️ team did after the disaster Euro 2000

1) Not sure what you mean with superstar and how many superstars there are if Mihambo doesn't qualify. Personally i am not sure if there are any superstars in athletics right now. Not sure if there is any country except Sweden where someone like Duplantis would be recognized by more than 10 % of the population.

2) All the former greats are injured (reflection of the poor quality of german coaches), like so many other of the best german athletes (Mihambo, Baehre, Klosterhalfen, Kaul).

3) I am not sure if they will change anything, this just isn't how Germany works (anymore). Even someone like Jogi Löw was allowed to keep going after the embarrassement at the 2018 football world championships. It is the same with german politicians, they glue themselves to their position and refuse to leave no matter what happens. Germany has been "infiltrated" by bureaucrats that only care about their own position and not about what is best for the country, there is zero accountability. Of course it also doesn't help that almost all discussions in Germany are based on ideology and not pragmatism. The german energy/migration/defence policy is as braindead/ideology-driven as the german sports system (complete refusal to use performance enhancing substances or hire GDR coaches, while the rest of the world has zero problem doing those things). In a global competition you can't really afford ideology.

If Germany wants to do better in sports, they could start by cutting the funding for the NADA and (if possible) make it (close to) impossible for german athletes to be tested by german doping control officers outside of Germany. You can't expect to be competitive at world stage while doing your best to fight doping and also not installing and incentives for athletes to dope. German athletes get pathetically low medal bonuses.

Edited by OlympicsFan

1 minute ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Can't we all just accept that :GER had a p**s-poor Championships and move on? Much as we all enjoy the endless back and forth exchange of random and largely irrelevant stats it doesn't really move the conversation on much further. 

With Mihambo out injured, they just don't currently have the depth of squad that they used to but they do at least have medal prospects for next year. 

Please stop your pathetic behavior. The people that are interested in this topic will engange and you will have to ignore it like everyone else does with most of your comments. The stats i post are infinitely more on-topic than all the bullshit you and your compatriots write about Ingebrigtsen.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Josh said:

Last time I've checked, coaches aren't athletes :p

I already mentioned the fact that Chopra is coached by a german coach before this competition. Almost all of the elite german coaches were "killed off" for political/monetary reasons (they would have taken jobs away from west german coaches) after the end of the GDR. Other countries like GB, Australia, China or India had no problem with hiring those coaches and it paid off. Germany in general is one of the least pragmatic countries in the world. Ideology trumps everything else. Germany would rather be trash in sports than to hire coaches with the "wrong" ideology. In a global competition you can't really afford ideology though. I would have no problem with Germany stopping to compete at olympics/global sports competitions, it just makes me angry to see the level of incompetence in german sports that burns millions of tax payer money every year.

I am rather relieved that Weber didn't win a medal (and that France won a medal after all), this gives the german federation less excuses. Germany is now pretty much where Canada was around 2012 (being completely irrelevant in athletics), will be interesting to see if they react the same way.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Posted

South Korea with only 1 top 8 result, they are in the same boat as Germany to some degree. Obviously South Koreans have reached a new evolutionary stage. They just don't give a fuck about childish games. Most countries need sports as a replacement for war though. Also interesting that Denmark is pretty much nonexistant in sports.

Posted
24 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

:GER Fail to win a single medal at the championship 

The only indian athlete that won a medal (Chopra) has a german coach (Klaus Bartonietz).

Posted
14 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Medals at world athletics championships :

:PAK - 1 (silver) 

:GER - 0 

Not sure what the point of this comparison is? Pakistan has a much bigger population.

Medals at the athletics world championships:

India (1.5 billion people): 1

Norway (5.4 million people): 4

Norway has roughly 0.3 % of the indian population, but 4 times as many medals.

Posted
7 hours ago, intoronto said:

Canada winning medals here will mean 4th in Paris :lol: jk hoping it doesn't q

4th place would still be a very good result for all canadians who won a medal here except LePage. Rogers, Katzberg, Mitton and Arop are not dominant enough to consider them locks for a medal and i don't see Warner getting better (given his age), but maybe he once again will shock everyone. LePage might also end up without a medal (considering that Neugebauer and the two norwegians are much younger), but i would be surprised if he wouldn't win at least silver next year.

Canada at 2019 worlds: 5 medals, 0 gold

Canada at 2021 olympics: 6 medals, 2 gold

Canada at 2015 worlds: 8 medals, 2 gold

Canada at 2016 olympics: 6 medals, 1 gold

Canada at 2011 worlds: 1 medal, 0 gold

Canada at 2012 olympics: 1 medal, 0 gold

Canada at 2007 worlds: 2 medals, 0 gold

Canada at 2008 olympics: 2 medals, 0 gold

Canada at 2003 worlds: 2 medals, 0 gold

Canada at 2004 olympics: 0 medals

Canada at 1999 worlds: 2 medals, 0 gold

Canada at 2000 olympics: 0 medals

Really interesting to see how bad Canada was until roughly 2012. Apparently the big turnaround happened after the 2012 olympics. 3 medals combined at the 2000, 2004, 2008 and 2012 olympics and then 6 medals at the 2016 olympics. At the past 6 pre-olympic world championships Canada has won 2 golds (both in 2015) and at the past 6 olympic games Canada has won 3 golds, so actually Canada has "overperformed" in terms of gold medals at the olympics in the past.

Posted
7 minutes ago, Werloc said:

Any day that Duplantis wins is a good day :wub:

My favourite non-Lithuanian athlete probably. 

I would have thought that Richard Kilty is your favourite non-lithuanian athlete, but i guess you already consider him a honorary citizen?

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, SalamAkhi said:

You laugh, we cry

Just usual condescending british behavior. The same happened with Ingebrigtsen and at the swimming world championships. You could almost think that those people have anything to do with the success of british athletics. France won 12 more medals than GB at the last winter olympics, so if GB beats them by 11 medals or less next year, France will have won more olympic medals during this cycle.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Posted
1 hour ago, Styrka said:

We learned today that the leaders of the French athletics federation will be summoned to the :FRA Ministry of Sports to explain the poor results of French athletes... ... But as usual nothing will change ;):facepalm:

Understandable, although France seems to have other priorities than countries like GB. If France would be nonexistant in most team sports and winter sports like GB, the whole country would probably be on suicide watch.