website statistics

Boxing IOC European Olympic Games Qualifier 2020

George_D

2 minutes ago, Dragon said:

I agree with the comments on Conlon but not quite on Joshua's final.

Under the current scoring he would definitely have lost 29-28 to the Italian but on 2012 scoring I think he did enough in round 3 to make up the deficit on the 1st two rounds. Although he definitely lost to the Cuban in his first bout in 2012

I actually meant the first fight! Apologies 

3 minutes ago, Dragon said:

Under the current scoring he would definitely have lost 29-28 to the Italian but on 2012 scoring I think he did enough in round 3 to make up the deficit on the 1st two rounds. Although he definitely lost to the Cuban in his first bout in 2012

c'mon, man! the Joshua scandal in London is second only to Roy Jones' in Seoul 1988 in the history of boxing...

and I mean the whole tournament, also the final against Cammarelle, when he should have lost by at least 10 points under the rules of that year...

the other bouts were just the prologue of what they did in the last act of the tournament...

and I'm not biased at all for what concerns that match, not anymore, at least...

it was just the lowest point ever by the "modern" AIBA...

2 minutes ago, Dragon said:

Perhaps, but my perception at the time was that the Italian had done enough over the three rounds to win the gold. It's moot now of course, but I know that is how I felt at the time and I haven't watched the bout since then.

1 minute ago, Nickyc707 said:

Perhaps, but my perception at the time was that the Italian had done enough over the three rounds to win the gold. It's moot now of course, but I know that is how I felt at the time and I haven't watched the bout since then.

For me Joshua lands 7 or 8 scoring punches in the first 90 seconds of round 3 that wins it for him.

Of course that would mean nothing under the new scoring method.

And I can think of some very bad decisions that went against Italians before that. Mussone and Damiani in 1984 for example

16 minutes ago, phelps said:

has someone watched the Gadzhimagomedov vs Mouhiidine match?

I just read the result and a few lines by the OA sport website, but I don't trust them at all when it comes to boxing...I haven't watched the bout, so I don't know what to think about it...:mumble:

Re-watching the fight now