website statistics

Boxing IOC European Olympic Games Qualifier 2020

George_D

14 minutes ago, dcro said:

I realize that boxing and arrogance are a common combo, but damn, the British boxer really pushed it here... Especially since this interview happened after the match, so one can't really throw it under trash talk.

https://olympics.com/live-blog/live-blog-boxing-qualifier-tokyo-2020-paris-monday-7-june-2021/

It's nothing jaw-dropping. But then again, I can imagine plenty contexts where someone who makes such remarks about their opponent's physical appearance would immediately face backlash and calls for a disqualification... :whistle:

You're probably too young to remember what Muhammad Ali said about his opponents before and after his fights. ;)

On 06/06/2021 at 20:58, phelps said:

has someone watched the Gadzhimagomedov vs Mouhiidine match?

I just read the result and a few lines by the OA sport website, but I don't trust them at all when it comes to boxing...I haven't watched the bout, so I don't know what to think about it...:mumble:

watched the fight earlier today...

I thought it was worse than it actually was...but still, imho the 1 st round (basically, the decisive one) should have gone by a very short margin to the Italian...

then, round 2 and 3 were pretty clear...the second stint was all for Mouhiidine and the 3rd, after a messy start, was definitely in favour of the Russian...

it could have gone either way, but I'm not surprised at all it went to Russia...

quite different story the women's -51kg semifinal match between ITA and GBR...luckily it wasn't a qualifier anymore, but there's no way to give GBR that match...actually, to give GBR a single round of that match (even the 3rd messy and useless round)...

p.s. no comment on the 1st round judging of the box-off in the women's -60kg class between GRE and ITA...that was a full old AIBA attempt to steal a verdict...

fortunately, the Greek was such a disaster in rounds 2 and 3 that even those biased judges couldn't do anything anymore...:facepalm:

21 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

Ireland will have 7 boxers (4 male, 3 female) in Tokyo! Fantastic result! :) 

Considering they’ve lost Joe Ward in 2019 and Michael Nevin this month(!), it’s an unreal performance 

2 hours ago, Dragon said:

You're probably too young to remember what Muhammad Ali said about his opponents before and after his fights. ;)

Different era, different circumstances.

I am not the one to say he crossed some line (not at all), but it's definitely something that would start an uproar in another context. Worth a bookmark.

#banbestmen

Ok, Drabik is qualified to Tokyo, total disaster is avoided, but still 1 men and 1 women qualified is result below expectations. When the rankings will be closed and qualified boxers will be announced?