website statistics

Tokyo Summer Olympic Games 2020 News

hace 5 minutos, orangeman said:

Right.  But like I said, I thought there had to be specific conditions rather than just an ocean.  I admit, I don't know much about surfing but I have been to Busan quite a bit.  People surf there, but it's nothing like Hawaii or other places that hold regular competitions.  

So far it's only Japan. Los Angeles would be better than fine with this. France has Biarritz, Italy would also be fine. Hungary would need to use another country tho (which Agenda 2020 allows). But I think most non-landlocked countries would be fine. There's always the option of artificial waves but not sure if the expense is worth it.

1 minute ago, carivan said:

So far it's only Japan. Los Angeles would be better than fine with this. France has Biarritz, Italy would also be fine. Hungary would need to use another country tho (which Agenda 2020 allows). But I think most non-landlocked countries would be fine. There's always the option of artificial waves but not sure if the expense is worth it.

You're right, LA would welcome it.  Thanks for your input.  

I think the chances of Hungary winning 2024 aren't too worrying.

I don't mind these new sports. They won't do any harm. We might as well give them a chance.

As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold

10 hours ago, LDOG said:

That's fantastic then, no Africa.

What are the european chances of making that competition?

100%...at least one between the Netherlands and Italy (and probably both of them) will be for sure among the 12 super Teams in 2019...

next year's World Baseball Classic will tell a lot...it's the tournament that gives away the most points in the ranking and both Italy and the Netherlands will have big squads full of MLB pros...so there's a chance that they're going to do very well like in 2013 (NED was on the podium and ITA was 7th, but losing only by 1 run against DOM - the eventual champion - USA and PUR)...

@Near

yes, they are...but in Baseball they all play for "the Kingdom of the Netherlands" (that's the official status for WBSC)...

and 98% of the Italians are North-American born, by the way (our biggest star at the moment is Anthony Rizzo from the Chicago Cubs)...

9 hours ago, intoronto said:

I thought qualification was Japan + top 5 at super 12 in 2019

in fact, it is...but with a sort of continental protection (even if only among those super 12 teams)...

somewhere in the Olympic Charter there's a rule that states that team sports must have at least 3 continents qualified to be part of the games...

My two korunas:

Baseball/Softball I'm honestly quite happy about, as it's a great sport without a proper world championship with the world's best players. However it would need the support of the MLB and other professional leagues for sure, otherwise it will just be a farce like Olympic football is now. Also it's great news for the Czech Republic as they are competitive on a European level and could possibly qualify, particularly in baseball.

Karate can't hurt, I guess, sure it's a redundant fighting sport, we have five already. But it won't do any harm, it has a large following in the world, and Japanese viewership would make the event at least a success. Don't think I would support its inclusion in future Olympics, though.

Sports climbing, reminds me kind of when in the old Olympics they had rope climbing as part of an Olympics. Not sure how it's going to look at Olympic level but again Czech medal chances :d and it's kind of a new horizon, we don't see many speed events that require such strength. Again there is a world tour so it definitely has legitimacy.

Surfing I'm not sure about. There are troubles with wave conditions and hosting a fair event. I get it could be another gymnastics/perform-ish kind of event, and fair enough, maybe even some Pacific countries could medal, only concern is the contest being fair. 

Skateboarding I wondered if it was a joke? Surely. But honestly it's not too different to snowboarding, and that's a great part of the Winter Olympics. So I'd be willing to give it a chance, I guess.

I only hope that they don't cut any events from already existing sports :(

Il y a 4 heures , carivan a déclaré:

Two towns have allready expressed their interest. Lacanau (close to Bordeaux) and Hossegor (close to Biarritz and host of an annual world tour event).

If Paris is chosen, I think there is a reasonable chance we will see surfing again in 2024 (and possibly 30 kms from my hometown :cheer:)

I don't think neither Italy or Hungary will go for it though.

I'm happy that karate is finnaly in olympic family. I had a feeling that it'll be in Tokyo and then we shall se the rest. And this is a chance that Slovenian karate will hopefully get some more media attention. We'll have a chance to be top 10 or medal 

hace 39 minutos, De_Gambassi said:

Two towns have allready expressed their interest. Lacanau (close to Bordeaux) and Hossegor (close to Biarritz and host of an annual world tour event).

If Paris is chosen, I think there is a reasonable chance we will see surfing again in 2024 (and possibly 30 kms from my hometown :cheer:)

I don't think neither Italy or Hungary will go for it though.

True, but I get the impression that only karate and baseball were included to please the Japanese and the others are there because the IOC thinks they will appeal to youngsters, giving them a strong chance to sneak their way into "core-ness" or at least get a push to be at the 2024 games.