website statistics

Speed Skating at the Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022

Totallympics

57 minutes ago, Dennis said:

Krol! :thumbup:

Also very happy for Dubreuil and Lorentzen! Surprising podium. 

:EST and :GBR also in the top 10 :yes

It was :GBR's best result since Terry Monaghan finished 5th in the 10,000m at Squaw Valley in 1960.

Verbij after his race: "I had to stop instead of attempt that risky exchange, otherwise I'd also ruin his race. I'm not an asshole."

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Verbij after his race: "I had to stop instead of attempt that risky exchange, otherwise I'd also ruin his race. I'm not an asshole."

Chinese commentator former OG Champion Zhang Hong immediately pointed that out after the race and praised his sports spirit.

Nice sportsmanship by Verbij, but it's the rule.  He would have been DQed if he tried to carry on because Drubreuil had the right of way.  In any case, if they were even at that point and Drubreuil was going to the inside lane and ended up 2nd, there's no way Verrbij had a chance at the podium going to the outside lane.  

2 hours ago, orangeman said:

Nice sportsmanship by Verbij, but it's the rule.  He would have been DQed if he tried to carry on because Drubreuil had the right of way.  In any case, if they were even at that point and Drubreuil was going to the inside lane and ended up 2nd, there's no way Verrbij had a chance at the podium going to the outside lane.  

Verbij stood no chance, there’s no doubt about that. However, he could have messed up Dubreuil’s race as well by trying trying to save his own, either by speeding up and unsuccessfully trying to change lanes hindering Dubreuil, or by only holding back at the end of the change over forcing Dubreuil to enter the corner in an unpleasant manner at such high speeds. 

Both would’ve led to a disqualification of Verbij, but most likely also to Dubreuil finishing outside the podium places. 

3 hours ago, orangeman said:

Sure, it's the rule, but he could have tried in some sort of desperate attempt. Wouldn't be unique or anything, and it would definitely have messed Dubreuil's race up.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!