website statistics

Speed Skating at the Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022

Totallympics

First Belgian Winter Olympic gold in 74 years :bowdown:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I think Speed Skating can have separate mass start and points race and maybe leave 1500m . Two short distance(500,1000) , 1 pursuit, 2 long distances then 1 mass start and 1 points race. I also don't mind if 1 of the long distance events is left off instead of 1500m. 

2 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

I think Speed Skating can have separate mass start and points race and maybe leave 1500m . Two short distance(500,1000) , 1 pursuit, 2 long distances then 1 mass start and 1 points race. I also don't mind if 1 of the long distance events is left off instead of 1500m. 

*nobody else on this forum liked that*

I don't mind the mass start (they need to get rid of the points tho), and I think the team events are great (bring in the team sprint for 2026!), but the essence of speed skating is skating against the clock. None of the new events should come at the expense of these time trials.

I know short track has trialled both a point race format and a Madison format, maybe that would be a better place for a proper speed skating points race.

3 minutes ago, NearPup said:

*nobody else on this forum liked that*

No issues but I like it. Instead of having a points race like in mass start it's better to have a separate points race. Maximum long track events should be mass start format with quarters semis and finals (no sprints though) really nice to watch.