website statistics

Speed Skating at the Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022

Totallympics

27 minutes ago, hckošice said:

Holly mother of Jesus ! That was one of a last lap from Schouten ! what a speeeeeeeeeeed :yikes:

once again, any single reason why dutch don´t play hockey ? the normal one I mean

They've got quite a few Olympic golds in the normal one! :cheer: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

7 minutes ago, hckošice said:

Hope you understand I was joking ;) I know you guys love the field one a lot :yes

It is just for me always a mistery why they do not at least try to form a program considering they are the bets in speed skating for a reason, this is already a huge advantage in ice hockey. Really hard to understand :(

Because those that are good in speed skating want to, well, stay good in speed skating :d 

And ice hockey is so tiny here, nobody really cares...you know, with some small exceptions of course.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

28 minutes ago, NearPup said:

As a unit it's disappointing. Canada won four events they were favoured to win, lost events they were favoured to win and didn't win anything where they weren't the favourite.

You are only talking about golds? There are a lot of minor medals that Canada shouldn't have won and i am not sure if Canada was actually the favorite in men's snowboard slopestyle (a gold they shouldn't have won) and speed skating women's team pursuit. I guess the reality is that Canada just doesn't have many gold medal favorites. Not sure if Canada has any (clear) gold medal favorite in an individual event.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

4 minutes ago, Noorderling29 said:

Same can  be said about Biathlon and Cross Country skiing

Biathlon probably, but certainly not cross-country skiing. There are like 5 people who regularly practice speed skating, but 10 billion people who regularly practice alpine skiing/cross-country skiing. The number of medal events should reflect that (at least to some degree). No clue why inline skating isn't even an olympic sport while speed skating has a billion medal events.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

2 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Oh that I couldn't disagree more about :P

(I *love* team events, so that's my bias here).

I respect your opinion, but about the Olympic program I'm a true conservative (and nostalgic...give me back the good old Nineties' -and 2000- Games)...;)

Just now, OlympicsFan said:

Biathlon probably, but certainly not cross-country skiing. There are like 5 people who regularly practice speed skating, but 10 billion people who regularly practice alpine skiing/cross-country skiing. The number of medal events should reflect that (at least to some degree). No clue why inline skating isn't even an olympic sport while speed skating has a billion medal events.

because IOC screwed World Skate and promised them to include inline skating, but then opted for 2 disciplines of skateboarding only to be part of the Games...

you know, youth and urban...:pope:

Just now, OlympicsFan said:

Not sure if Canada has any (clear) gold medal favorite in an individual event.

Dude, Kingsbury. Probably the biggest favourite for any individual men's event at these Olympics.

Also I'd def argue that collectively Canada was the favourite to win men's snowboard slopestyle, and the women's team pursuit was undefeated this season, and only Japan ever looked like a possible threat (really, to this day, not sure why anyone expected :NED to be competitive in that event).