website statistics

Speed Skating at the Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022

Totallympics

1 minute ago, phelps said:

I respect your opinion, but about the Olympic program I'm a true conservative (and nostalgic...give me back the good old Nineties' -and 2000- Games)...;)

So also no natural track luge, ski mountaineering, mixed curling, short track mixed relay or speed skating mass start?

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

6 minutes ago, Noorderling29 said:

Same can  be said about Biathlon and Cross Country skiing

Especially biathlon, where basically anyone who has a chance in a certain event has a chance in every single event. Unlike cross-country skiing (a little, but much less) and definitely way unlike speed skating.

That's not to say I want fewer events, by the way :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, NearPup said:

Dude, Kingsbury. Probably the biggest favourite for any individual men's event at these Olympics.

Also I'd def argue that collectively Canada was the favourite to win men's snowboard slopestyle, and the women's team pursuit was undefeated this season, and only Japan ever looked like a possible threat (really, to this day, not sure why anyone expected :NED to be competitive in that event).

We had Japan as main favourite in the women's team pursuit, Canada as clear silver favourite and the Netherlands as clear bronze favourite. That event seemed pretty straightforward from the get-go, were it not for Takagi's fall :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 minutes ago, phelps said:

I respect your opinion, but about the Olympic program I'm a true conservative (and nostalgic...give me back the good old Nineties' -and 2000- Games)...;)

Meanwhile I am maximally on board for the X-Gameification of the Olympics :P

Though I def want the traditional events to be preserved.

14 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

So also no natural track luge, ski mountaineering, mixed curling, short track mixed relay or speed skating mass start?

I'm not against new sports...I'm against screwing traditional sports & events to replace them with those farce events in the name of the youth & urban "philosophy"...

by the way, about those events you mentioned, yes to NTL and ski mountaineering (since they're not "judged sports"), no curling at all (tbh...but that's just personal taste) and no mixed gender events. point. any mixed gender event. exclamation mark! (therefore, no mixed curling, of course)...

14 minutes ago, Noorderling29 said:

Same can  be said about Biathlon and Cross Country skiing

No, you see, you need a race where you all start separately, and then another race where you all start together, and then another one where you all start separately based on those other races, and then one where the course is sliiiiiiiiiiightly longer than the last one....

I'm not for taking anything out of any sport currently on the calendar, but no one can attack one sport for having too many events and then defend one where the same person wins all of the 10 variations.  But then some countries would have to win in more than two sports to lead the medal table.

Just ribbin' ya, Norway.  

F that noise, the Winter Olympics don't have enough events. There was a bunch of dead air over the past two weeks. Bring on random new speed skating races, new Nordic events, Telemark, ice climbing, cyclocross, men's and women's doubles *and* mixed four person curling, snow volleyball, cross country running, 3 on 3 hockey, ice cross downhill, snow football and whatever else we can invent.

Just now, NearPup said:

F that noise, the Winter Olympics don't have enough events. There was a bunch of dead air over the past two weeks. Bring on random new speed skating races, new Nordic events, Telemark, ice climbing, cyclocross, snow volleyball, cross country running, 3 on 3 hockey, ice cross downhill, snow football and whatever else we can invent.

Yes, but the logical conclusion should be to shorten the games. I think a more compact TV schedule would be appreciated by most (casual) TV viewers. There are clearly less winter sports and clearly less people who practice winter sports. It would be only logical for the duration of the games to reflect that. Obviously IOC would claim that less airtime would mean less money (which it probably would), but since the athletes get pretty much jack shit anyways, it would only hurt people who don't do anything to help the sport anyways.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

43 minutes ago, james89 said:

I feel like every Olympics since 2006 Canada has underperformed at Speed Skating. Getting 5 medals and one gold doesn't totally feel like a total disaster. 

The last two cycles weren't too bad.  There were no big expectations besides maybe the pursuit teams in 2014 and Morrison came through (with that nice story involving Junio giving up his spot).  2018 was similar, but Ted-Jan winning the 10k was a bit of a nice a surprise.  2010 was definitely a disappointment, and this year too.  Weidemann and Dubreuil are just getting started, though.