website statistics

Pan American Games 2019

vinipereira

6 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I know it’s probably way to early to ask, but do you guys like the live blog and articles we’ve published about  2019 Pan American Games on our website? Is there anything you’d like to see more of, less of? Any specific information you want (within reason)?

I enjoyed the live blog. It was nice to know what happened today since I was at work.

1 hour ago, vinipereira said:

I don't think it's entirely fair to call her "another white woman" when she's the first one to be our flag bearer in 18 editions of the Pan American Games (+ an Olympic champion!). Also, Sandra Pires was clearly selected as Olympic flag bearer in 2000 for winning our first gold medal among women, while Yane Marques in 2016 was an odd choice, but kinda understandable when many others where competing in the first days (including, for instance, Sarah Menezes). If a black woman deserved to be chosen at the Rio Olympics, that was Fabiana, but unfortunately I think Volleyball started at the day after the ceremony. I hope she's considered for 2020 if she plays next year (but, again, not likely since it's a team sport with competition starting Saturday).

For Lima, I was wishing for Isaquias to be our flag bearer, but I think he might be selected for Tokyo...

The point is black women are stigmatized in Brazil, and they are the ones who suffer the most with racism, misogyny and lack of opportunities. Our first female individual medalist at the Olympics was a black woman, but still only white women take the prize when the opportunity comes (even if we're talking about very few opportunities). And, yes, Martina is just another white woman who is probably boosted not by her gold medal but by influence of her father. But this of course is my opinion, and no one is supposed to agree with me.

51 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Would a black man be ok too? One would imagine the chosen athlete should be the most suitable, independent on colour, gender or who has been chosen before :p 

Spend a few years living in Brazil and you will understand why I am so stubborn about giving more visibility to black women.

1 minute ago, thiago_simoes said:

Spend a few years living in Brazil and you will understand why I am so stubborn about giving more visibility to black women.

This is not new to me or something, since I've had a relationship with someone even more stubborn about this (and LGBTQI+ rights) for a few years. My point was definitely not 'there should not be more visibility for black women'.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

This is not new to me or something, since I've had a relationship with someone even more stubborn about this (and LGBTQI+ rights) for a few years. My point was definitely not 'there should not be more visibility for black women'.

Racism and misogyny are huge problems in Brazil. We've had a black man as a flag bearer at the Olympics: João do Pulo. He died as an alcoholic, bankrupt and forgotten man.

My complaint about Martine Grael is because almost no one knows who she is, even though she earned a gold medal in Rio. Sailing is one of the most elitist sports, especially in Brazil, and it's very suspicious that she was chosen to represent the country given the involvement of her family with the Brazilian Olympic Committee. I mean, she has zero appeal as the flag bearer.

1 minute ago, thiago_simoes said:

Racism and misogyny are huge problems in Brazil. We've had a black man as a flag bearer at the Olympics: João do Pulo. He died as an alcoholic, bankrupt and forgotten man.

My complaint about Martine Grael is because almost no one knows who she is, even though she earned a gold medal in Rio. Sailing is one of the most elitist sports, especially in Brazil, and it's very suspicious that she was chosen to represent the country given the involvement of her family with the Brazilian Olympic Committee. I mean, she has zero appeal as the flag bearer.

Out of curiousity: who would have? Not looking at racial issues or something I mean, just in general as 'who would be the best to represent Brazil'?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

Out of curiousity: who would have? Not looking at racial issues or something I mean, just in general as 'who would be the best to represent Brazil'?

Isaquias Queiroz is a nice choice, as Vinicius mentioned. He won three medals at the Rio Olympics (only Brazilian athlete to ever win three medals at a single edition) and was the world champion in C-1 500 last year. His personal life is drama-filled as well: he lived in a stilt house in a very poor area of the country and his coach died last year. He's typically Brazilian: everything goes against him, but he still manages to beat the odds and be the best.

Martine is a girl from a rich family with a famous and influent father who has lots of personal contacts within the Brazilian Olympic Committee. And her sport is widely unknown in Brazil.

12 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

Isaquias Queiroz is a nice choice, as Vinicius mentioned. He won three medals at the Rio Olympics (only Brazilian athlete to ever win three medals at a single edition) and was the world champion in C-1 500 last year. His personal life is drama-filled as well: he lived in a stilt house in a very poor area of the country and his coach died last year. He's typically Brazilian: everything goes against him, but he still manages to beat the odds and be the best.

Martine is a girl from a rich family with a famous and influent father who has lots of personal contacts within the Brazilian Olympic Committee. And her sport is widely unknown in Brazil.

I could be wrong, but my bet is that they're "saving" Isaquias for Tokyo, which would be much more prestigious anyway.

Interestingly, :COL has decided not to enter their women’s Squash players into the singles event. They will participate in doubles and team though.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

10 hours ago, dcro said:

Totallympics' very own periodic table I guess?

Which must be have its own song;

And there's diving and equestrian and triathlon,

and sailing, and archery and modern pentathlon...

Today I was able to watch some court 2 beach volleyball (ARG-TTO) and the ARG-USA handball game on tyc sports (on tv I mean). Both filmed by tyc with their own cameras.

Unfortunately, it seems that on "tyc sports play" the stream was behind some subscription wall (whenever you see a key on the stream thumbnail, that means you need the stupid subscription). 

We'll see what happens when the games start, maybe they will be more "open" then. I'll keep you updated.