website statistics

Poll 7/100 |Controversial Poll 1/5| How many athletes will miss their events in Olympics due to catching covid just before (within 2 weeks of games start) or during the games ?

Poll 7/100  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Controversial Poll 1/5| How many athletes will miss their events in Olympics due to catching covid just before (within 2 weeks of games start) or during the games ?

Going for 4-7, but I expect a few more if you also count athletes who are forced to miss it due to others testing positive. Obviously I really hope zero though, I don't wish that even on my most disliked athletes.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Have the rules been set already? For example how many times will athletes be tested? And if the rules about contacts with positive people are like those that we've seen in recent competitions, hundreds of athletes, even if vaccinated, will probably miss the Olympics.

Personally I would test every athlete just once at their arrival, and then "forget about it" until they compete unless they have very obvious symptoms. 

I fear the worse, that IOC will fear backlash from the public, so there will be very strict rules, which means tests almost every day and immediate DSQ if a test is positive. Which would mean DSQs in the hundreds. So I went with "110-300". Obviously that's the sum of all, it won't happen at once. 

With the amount of athletes participating, I think you guys are very optimistic! I went with 33-50. If covid hits a teamsport, there is a chance of large parts of a team getting infected or at least quarantained. It has happened a couple times in football already and recently like 5 of the Dutch handball women missed two friendlies due to quarantaines.

Since I am neither a fortune teller, nor a prophet, nor a secret special agent or messenger from the future, I cannot answer this question. I can just guess.

but Unlike most of the population, I have a gift from God with an endless supply of optimism. and so thanks to that I am convinced that there will not be many such cases. the organizers and the IOC will succeed to handle it, but there will certainly be a few cases. but I don't believe there will be more than a few, let's say about cca 10 ...

23 minutes ago, Dragon said:

The problem will be "false positives".

A lot will miss their events and then be cleared to compete a few days later

Yeah I’ve seen this in badminton, and it will be as dramatic as the most tiring soap opera ever.