website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

6 hours ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

Republicans did 2016-2018

And even their party was so broad that they accomplished very little. I think the same happened to the Democrats in 2006-2008. The Democrats have great ideological divides though, so it’s harder for them to work together.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

The United States and the Taliban have signed a peace deal after 18 years of war (almost my entire lifetime, I’ve never known a time that our soldiers weren’t fighting in Afghanistan). There were 26 countries as witnesses, including the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan. The peace deal terms are:

Afghanistan (and the Taliban) must not allowed terrorist groups to take root.

There must be dialogue now between the different fractions of Afghanistan.

The US will move towards withdrawing all troops.

Permanent ceasefire.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

40 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

The United States and the Taliban have signed a peace deal after 18 years of war (almost my entire lifetime, I’ve never known a time that our soldiers weren’t fighting in Afghanistan). There were 26 countries as witnesses, including the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan. The peace deal terms are:

Afghanistan (and the Taliban) must not allowed terrorist groups to take root.

There must be dialogue now between the different fractions of Afghanistan.

The US will move towards withdrawing all troops.

Permanent ceasefire.

and Taliban still doesn't recognize the government of Afghanistan. and they don't talk to the government as they still consider it "USA's puppet" ! it's still hard to think how peace is possible this way. they may make peace with USA but not with Afghanistan people.

as we share the same language I was following the social media today and people in Afghanistan are mostly worried about this "peace deal" they think Taliban just wants its prisoners released and when American troops (or some of them) withdraw they will start again.

btw Taliban can't be "part" of the government, because they want it all.

31 minutes ago, MHSN said:

and Taliban still doesn't recognize the government of Afghanistan. and they don't talk to the government as they still consider it "USA's puppet" ! it's still hard to think how peace is possible this way. they may make peace with USA but not with Afghanistan people.

as we share the same language I was following the social media today and people in Afghanistan are mostly worried about this "peace deal" they think Taliban just wants its prisoners released and when American troops (or some of them) withdraw they will start again.

I guess what happened between Taliban and government of Afghanistan after the withdrawal is no longer Trump's business. It doesn't bother at all.

49 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

I guess what happened between Taliban and government of Afghanistan after the withdrawal is no longer Trump's business. It doesn't bother at all.

yes obviously

and that's what scared some people in Afghanistan, specially women. as we know how Taliban thinks of women.

USA will withdraw all troops from Afghanistan and Taliban will guarantee not doing terrorist attacks in USA soil (or on USA citizens) problem solved for USA, disaster starts for the people of Afghanistan.

1 hour ago, MHSN said:

I agree completely. Plus, what about losing all the progress we made on women’s rights in Afghanistan. What about the people democracy has served well their. I think it’s a mistake, but I also think we do need to leave eventually.

3 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I agree completely. Plus, what about losing all the progress we made on women’s rights in Afghanistan. What about the people democracy has served well their. I think it’s a mistake, but I also think we do need to leave eventually.

well it's a complicated situation, if I was from Afghanistan I wouldn't want American troops in my country at all. but then I also would't want Taliban ! Taliban is not a political party that you can make "peace" with them by giving them some power. they don't believe in women's rights and this is not something they negotiate about.

I was just listening to one of Taliban's leader in Doha and they don't even call the Afghan government as "government" they call it "Kabul's ruler" or something like that. they were really happy after the deal, they think they won. well I think we will see after a year who is the real winner here. I just wish the best of luck for the people of Afghanistan, I know they suffered a lot. I know they badly want peace, but they also don't want Taliban.

Edited by MHSN

Almost all stations have just closed (22:00 our time), but due several issues 5 voting stations had to be interrupted for some minutes, they will have to be open a bit longer, 3 of them for 15 minutes, 1 for 30 minutes and one voting station in the city of Veľký Krtíš for 60 minutes more, so because of that the moratorium must last one more hour and the first exit polls can be unveiled only from 23:00...

I am really nervous...