website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Given you love for ignorance, I’m surprised you’re not spreading creationism or flat-Earth theories.

Whatever. Guess the 45 years of Soviet rule in Poland was all a dream? :lol: Go sell the "sociallism is great" stuff to someone else. The entire Eastern Europe isn't buying what you are selling :dunno:

19 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Given Olympian's love for sociallism he'd be spreading the same propaganda if he was born few decades earlier IMO :p

Well, The communism we had here was really very bad. No doubts. It was something, well, hard to explain to someone who hadn't experienced it. No freedom, my grandfather was in prison just because he refused to join the party. Subsequently, the whole family suffered, my mother had to leave (was expulsed from) the university and was obliged to an inferior job despite the fact she never did anything bad she was just denyied to earn diploma. it was a bad time, people were oppressed. arrested and torturred on a daily basis if you was not agreeing with the regime. it is necessary to realize that freedom is not a matter of course.

On the other hand, certainly not everything is basically wrong, everyone had a job (had mandatory to work) Health and education was free etc.. But overall it was bad and sad. Prohibition to travel, prohibition of freedom of speech, prohibition to form any other party or group. prohibition of religion. extreme censorship, empty shops, bananas were just for "Christmas or the end of year holidays like there were called at these times" and even everyone could only buy two or three pieces :p. But especially no freedom. All peoples were always followed by the party, and if someone in the family managed somehow to emigrate to the west, it was a complete disaster for the rest of their family. Thank God, these times are long gone.

But ofc this was the communism we had here, totalitarian communism under USSR control. and THAT was the wrong thing.

In a crazy turn of events, Syria just got more interesting. 

First, Turkey announced that it will no longer stop Syrians at the border, nor will they prevent them from entering Europe any longer.

Second, Assad/Russian forces carried out airstrikes that killed 29 (or more) Turkish soldiers, and wounded many. Turkey hosted emergency meetings tonight, and the result is not clear. There are some fears this could lead to war between Turkey and Russia, which would’ve been very unexpected only a few months ago. So, from Iran v. US, we’ve moved to Turkey v. Russia in the Middle East now.

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

37 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

In a crazy turn of events, Syria just got more interesting. 

First, Turkey announced that it will no longer stop Syrians at the border, nor will they prevent them from entering Europe any longer.

Second, Assad/Russian forces carried out airstrikes that killed 29 (or more) Turkish soldiers, and wounded many. Turkey hosted emergency meetings tonight, and the result is not clear. There are some fears this could lead to war between Turkey and Russia, which would’ve been very unexpected only a few months ago. So, from Iran v. US, we’ve moved to Turkey v. Russia in the Middle East now.

I think I'm fine with that to not see Iran in headlines related to war

but seriously this is stupid to start a war right now (I know it's always stupid but sometimes it's more stupid) when there is a bigger enemy for the whole world to face !

1 hour ago, MHSN said:

I think I'm fine with that to not see Iran in headlines related to war

but seriously this is stupid to start a war right now (I know it's always stupid but sometimes it's more stupid) when there is a bigger enemy for the whole world to face !

Game of Thrones redux

12 hours ago, hckosice said:

Well, The communism we had here was really very bad. No doubts. It was something, well, hard to explain to someone who hadn't experienced it. No freedom, my grandfather was in prison just because he refused to join the party. Subsequently, the whole family suffered, my mother had to leave (was expulsed from) the university and was obliged to an inferior job despite the fact she never did anything bad she was just denyied to earn diploma. it was a bad time, people were oppressed. arrested and torturred on a daily basis if you was not agreeing with the regime. it is necessary to realize that freedom is not a matter of course.

On the other hand, certainly not everything is basically wrong, everyone had a job (had mandatory to work) Health and education was free etc.. But overall it was bad and sad. Prohibition to travel, prohibition of freedom of speech, prohibition to form any other party or group. prohibition of religion. extreme censorship, empty shops, bananas were just for "Christmas or the end of year holidays like there were called at these times" and even everyone could only buy two or three pieces :p. But especially no freedom. All peoples were always followed by the party, and if someone in the family managed somehow to emigrate to the west, it was a complete disaster for the rest of their family. Thank God, these times are long gone.

But ofc this was the communism we had here, totalitarian communism under USSR control. and THAT was the wrong thing.

The same thing happened here, mandatory work was obvious. My father never joined the party too therefore he couldn't advance into the senior control level at the mine (but he didn't want to). We had oranges once a year and bananas were unheard of either. Obviously I'm very glad these times are gone and Olympian1010 and his love for sociallism has absolutely no idea how it was in Czechoslovakia and Poland, he just talks nonsense we have no idea and he somehow knows better what communism looks like. Quite pathetic.

2 hours ago, Monzanator said:

The same thing happened here, mandatory work was obvious. My father never joined the party too therefore he couldn't advance into the senior control level at the mine (but he didn't want to). We had oranges once a year and bananas were unheard of either. Obviously I'm very glad these times are gone and Olympian1010 and his love for sociallism has absolutely no idea how it was in Czechoslovakia and Poland, he just talks nonsense we have no idea and he somehow knows better what communism looks like. Quite pathetic.

Obviously, I know our countries suffered a lot during the communist era.

I wouldn´t blame him so much, He is young, he has his ideals, I understand him. Everyone should have some views and oppinions at his age, I was not so much different around my 18 :d but yeah, obviously he can not know anything about the communism we had.

This was a really bad system, bad, bad and bad.

1 minute ago, hckosice said:

Obviously, I know our countries suffered a lot during the communist era.

I wouldn´t blame him so much, He is young, he has his ideals, I understand him. Everyone should have some views and oppinions at his age, I was not so much different around my 18 :d but yeah, obviously he can not know anything about the communism we had.

This was a really bad system, bad, bad and bad.

I told him that several times but he thinks I'm the ignorant who knows nothing. Yep, he's like the classic USA, their way is the only right way and everyone else is wrong :lol:

Happy Election day  https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/02/27/slovakia-parliament-election-stark-choice-jan-kuciak-marian-kocner-murder-trial-smer-caputova-kotleba/  

Please ! Please ! no neo-nazis in the governement  :fingers:

image.png

4 450 641 eligible voters (+ more than 86 000 slovak citizens living abroad who asked to vote via mail) will choose today the 150 deputees in our prliament.

25 Parties https://volby.aktuality.sk/volby-2020/strany/ 

Actualy 24 parties and 1 coalition of 2 parties are competing in this edition. A party must reach 5 % to enter the parliament (the only coalition in these elections, Progresivne Slovensko/Spolu (Progressive Slovakia/together) will need 7 % to enter the parliament, as a coalition)

5998 voting stations will be open from 07:00 to 22:00 today.