website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

30 minutes ago, hckosice said:

Almost all stations have just closed (22:00 our time), but due several issues 5 voting stations had to be interrupted for some minutes, they will have to be open a bit longer, 3 of them for 15 minutes, 1 for 30 minutes and one voting station in the city of Veľký Krtíš for 60 minutes more, so because of that the moratorium must last one more hour and the first exit polls can be unveiled only from 23:00...

I am really nervous...

22:30.

Only 1 last voting station is now still open... 30 minutes to go

9 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Joe Biden has knocked everyone out in South Carolina - 48,1%

Bernie Sanders with 19,9%, Tom Steyer with 11,3%.

Guess Biden retains the black vote with room to spare.

Well, Sanders leads every Super Tuesday poll, so it may be a short lived victory. South Carolina likes remembering battle losers anyway :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

12 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Well, Sanders leads every Super Tuesday poll, so it may be a short lived victory. South Carolina likes remembering battle losers anyway :p

What's the racial brakedown in supporting sociallism in USA anyway? I suspect Biden gets a lot of free black votes as Obama's VP but what if the blacks actually don't support sociallism strong enough to carry Bernie all the way to WH? Is this a genuine problem or the Dems count on a huge black majority voting in effect against Trump and not for sociallism. Elections have been about voting for the lesser evil a lot everywhere in the world. What if Trump is actually the lesser evil and ethnic minorities won't carry a strong enough vote to give Sanders the win in November? :mumble:

22 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

What's the racial brakedown in supporting sociallism in USA anyway? I suspect Biden gets a lot of free black votes as Obama's VP but what if the blacks actually don't support sociallism strong enough to carry Bernie all the way to WH? Is this a genuine problem or the Dems count on a huge black majority voting in effect against Trump and not for sociallism. Elections have been about voting for the lesser evil a lot everywhere in the world. What if Trump is actually the lesser evil and ethnic minorities won't carry a strong enough vote to give Sanders the win in November? :mumble:

Democrats are in a unique position where black voters will probably support Bernie (and many already do except in the South), but many white voters won’t support Biden. The black vote is honestly one of the hardest things to predict in American politics because Black Americans have been so disenfranchised. Latinos also support Sanders in huge numbers right. Plus, Sanders carries an insane amount of the under 45 vote, that the Democrats also can’t afford to lose. If Biden wins, I think the Democrats lose. If Sanders wins, it’s close. If Warren wins, we’re in the White House.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Democrats are in a unique position where black voters will probably support Bernie (and many already do except in the South), but many white voters won’t support Biden. The black vote is honestly one of the hardest things to predict in American politics because Black Americans have been so disenfranchised. Latinos also support Sanders in huge numbers right. Plus, Sanders carries an insane amount of the under 45 vote, that the Democrats also can’t afford to lose. If Biden wins, I think the Democrats lose. If Sanders wins, it’s close. If Warren wins, we’re in the White House.

Warren has a better shot to beat Trump in heads-up poker than Sanders & Biden? I thought the same was said about Hilary Clinton and look how that ended. Women voting for another woman shouldn't be taken for granted after Clinton's failure.

28 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

I think Bernie would be able to retain the Black/Hispanic vote. Not sure what is the voting preference of Jews but I think it normally leans towards Dems but may swing to Trump in case of Trump v Bernie. Another Dem group that might swing to Trump or abstain instead of voting for Bernie is Indian-Americans, but only first generation ones. But both these groups are not that big in number that it would make any difference. Biggest issue for Dems is how many moderates and independents would vote for Bernie and what impact would selecting an independent have on party structure.