website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Happy Holidays and Birthdays Thread

leli.

6 minutes ago, LDOG said:

Wtf non-american kids asking for candies? 

We are so late to globalization... i've never seen such a thing here. 

It's still a rarity here. Like i said, tonight was, if i remember correctly, the first time i have given candy. The grown-ups (18+ :d) don't care for it, it's just the kids see it on the internet and want to go for candy with their friends.

Well the mood has gone from festive to somber at my school as we learned that the long time history teacher (who taught my mom and her sisters, taught with my mom, taught me, ran the history department, acted as Basketball coach, acted as Athletics director, and deeply cared about the students) has passes away during doctor’s appointment

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

16 minutes ago, LDOG said:

Wtf non-american kids asking for candies? 

We are so late to globalization... i've never seen such a thing here. 

Yeah, but most Latin American countries have the Day of the Dead with similar activities in 2 days.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

13 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Yeah, but most Latin American countries have the Day of the Dead with similar activities in 2 days.

Here in Scandinavia we have Fastelavn in February (Which is pretty similiar to nowadays Halloween), where we have the great tradition of slå katten af tønden ("hit the cat out of the barrel").

Billedresultat for slå katten af tønden

Edited by wumo26

hace 2 minutos, wumo26 said:

Here in Scandinavia we have Fastelavn (Which is pretty similiar to nowadays Halloween), where we have the great tradition of slå katten af tønden ("hit the cat out of the barrel").

Billedresultat for slå katten af tønden

So, like a "piñata"?

2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Well it’s not entirely true.

Catholic countries/regions have a religious  commemoration for the souls of the dead, which follows November 1st in which all people who have reached sanctity are commemorated. In that aspect you’re right, traditionally Latin American societies, most of which have a Catholic tradition, observe those festivities, which include some sort of visit to the resting place of deceased family members.

However, “Dia de los Muertos” is a tradition that dates to prehispanic times, and that is mostly restricted to the Mesoamerican region, which covers central and southern Mexico, plus the northern parts of Central America. As @LDOG stated, the modern celebration combines indigenous and Catholic elements, including building an “altar” in which people put offerings, mostly those things the deceased one liked to eat.

Recently, the whole thing celebration has a lot of its original meaning, due to mistepresentation, cultural appropiation and excessive marketing.

On another note, Halloween was very popular in North and Western Mexico when I was a kid, but now it has cede its pkace to Dia de los Muertos, mostly for a national pride reason.

Following my previous comment, I share that one note of that excessive marketing has seen “Pan de Muerto” being sold since late August. This is one of those elements that must not miss in the offering. “Pan de Muerto” is a soft bread, in which the dough contains a touch of orange water, and once baked, some sugar is added.

I confess I’m a willing victim of marketing this year and ordered some individual pieces to give, but I admit these ones are really good.

319C590A-D897-4DB7-B0DB-47B2DF785E41.jpeg