website statistics

Athletes from other Countries that you will root against at the Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024

On 7/6/2024 at 4:43 AM, Josh said:

Well first of all :NED Van De Velde… :sick: and Immers (nothing against Immers, just his questionable decision to partner up with him)

Then…

:USA Noah Lyles - Athletics

:USA Sha’Carri Richardson - Athletics

:BRA Ana Patricia Silva Ramos (not Duda)

:AUS Taliqua Clancy ** (not Mariafe) - Beach Volleyball

:USA Kelly Cheng (not Hughes) - Beach Volleyball

:LAT Jelena Ostapenko - Tennis

:BRA Tiago Seyboth Wild - Tennis

:BRA Beatriz Haddad Maia - Tennis

:GRE Stefanos Tsitsipas - Tennis

:ITA Sara Errani - Tennis

:TUR Ebrar Karakurt - Volleyball (almost forgot about her)

:GBR Tom Dean - Swimming

:GER Alexander Zverev - Tennis

** Fun fact, I started disliking her a couple of days ago when she cursed the ref during their qualifying game at the Gstaad Elite16. Ref couldn’t understand it, but still not cool :thumbdown:

Why Karakurt? A reason personal to you or am I missing something?

11 hours ago, heywoodu said:

What's up with these 'I cheer against a certain flag' things some people often seem to have? :d 

I mean, where did the heart for sports go: cheering for (or against) certain athletes because you like (or dislike) the athlete, no matter where they're from? There's no doubt athletes who I find to be assholes, from my country and others, and athletes who I find to be awesome people, from my country and others, does the little flag really matter that much? Someone who one would consider an amazing athlete and great person can't be cheered for, because the flag is wrong? Come on :lol: 

Oddly, I can understand cheering for certain countries (due to family ties, nice memories, potential historical results, etc) more than cheering against certain countries :p 

Edit: to clarify, this was not specifically directed at anyone in particular, I notice the same thing on every kind of sports forum, both here and the Dutch ones :p 

I always get this feeling of large anti-British sentiment within Dutch social media and I don't really know why. And Portugal and Spain with football and the obvious stuff against Belgium, Germany and Russia, those I can at least understand.

11 hours ago, heywoodu said:

What's up with these 'I cheer against a certain flag' things some people often seem to have? :d 

personally speaking, for what concerns the European Nations (especially France) it's just a question of sport (and sometimes not only sport) rivalry :p

no hate, no love lost...just hoping to see my Country on top of our main rivals (and making them the most envious as possible)

for what concerns :CHN and :USA (and, if they were there representing themselves :RUS), the beginning was more about a classic David vs Goliath feeling...they're always so dominant in the medal table that everytime they lose a piece down the road some kind of subtle pleasure is there

but then...well, there's always also some regret because they never paid enough for their so widely spread doping cheats (Balco/NOP just to name a couple for the :USA or the many State Doping programs for the other 2 big Nations), so, it's also something deeper for the 3 sports "giants" :zip:

:LAT Jelena Ostapenko (tennis)

:KAZ Elena Rybakina (tennis)

:GER Alexander Zverev (tennis)

:DEN Holger Rune (tennis)

All :AIN athletes in all sports

:TUR Ebrar Karakurt (volleyball)

:GER György Grozer (volleyball)

:UKR Mykhailo Romanchuk (swimming)

:SUI Noè Ponti (swimming)

:USA Katie Ledecky (swimming)

:ISR Anastasia Gorbenko (swimming)

1 hour ago, AsensioWillemsen said:

I always get this feeling of large anti-British sentiment within Dutch social media and I don't really know why. And Portugal and Spain with football and the obvious stuff against Belgium, Germany and Russia, those I can at least understand.

I would guess that we happen to have similar sports we do better at, especially rowing, cycling, hockey and sailing to name a few, which I guess grows a rivalry.

It's weird, because for me the Netherlands are probably by second favourite team behind GB, so I always try to support them when there is not a conflict of interest.

10 minutes ago, TeamGB said:

I would guess that we happen to have similar sports we do better at, especially rowing, cycling, hockey and sailing to name a few, which I guess grows a rivalry.

It's weird, because for me the Netherlands are probably by second favourite team behind GB, so I always try to support them when there is not a conflict of interest.

Interesting.

Sportswise, I'm not a huge fan of the Netherlands, as it happens. Nor, oddly enough, Spain. The former too smuggly arrogant, the latter too angrily aggressive. On an individual human level of course, there's lots of great Dutch and Spanish athletes I like so it's not exactly a breeding hatred, just something of the character of some of their teams. The Italians are going through that stage of suddenly being good at lots of sports that the Brits went through around 2012, and it's fun watching the excitement and boundless unironic optimisim in Italian fans, that 'we're going to win everything' thing. If i'm honest, the other team that I tend to find myself sympathising with is Germany. They just get on with it, seem to have a sense of humility and don't whine, unlike the British media.

Obviously, I can't currently abide any Russians of Belorussians in sport, despite having a few as friends who are lovely people. I quite like the Russian national character, the laconic, stoic, quality but I can't have the state as it currently exists, like a cartoon villain in a Bond film.

1 hour ago, phelps said:

for what concerns :CHN and :USA (and, if they were there representing themselves :RUS), the beginning was more about a classic David vs Goliath feeling...they're always so dominant in the medal table that everytime they lose a piece down the road some kind of subtle pleasure is there

This is it for me. It's just a general preference for the underdog. I have nothing personal against individual athletes from these countries, but it's just nice whenever anyone else gets a chance to win. Like you say, it's more of a subtle pleasure than a hatred:p