website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Ceremonies

1 hour ago, ChandlerMne said:

I feel you bro :lol:

Still remember Beijing. I was awake from 12 AM to 2 PM 16 days. 

The next two Summer Games will be kinder to us here in Southeast Asia. Los Angeles at night is morning in Manila while Brisbane is just ahead of us by two hours :d

1 hour ago, Benolympique said:

you must not know France well, unlike some countries! In France we are different (Arab, black, Asian, disabled, homosexual, heterosexual, transsexual. but we are all free, equal and fraternal citizens among us... And this ceremony showed tonight our multicultural love

That's why they refused the athlete in Hijab  .... they pick what is earning  first :lol:

Weak opening, strong finish. The Seine didn't work in that weather (and what does that downpour mean for Triathlon and OW swimming), the use of Paris in the dark did - perhaps they should have started later. The light show was fabulous, the music was largely great, if badly mimed - someone should have worked out the limits of close ups in an outdoor set. More Daft Punk required.

The menage a trois segment I found a little ridiculous, indeed quite a lot of the show seemed, frankly, rather preoccupied with sex and sexuality which given the universalist family nature of the event overall was, in my opinion,a miscue - as was the drag last supper which seemed gratuitous and, worse, utterly random. A simple public display of gay affection in a 'city of love' context would have been very welcome, but it simply was too much 'sex' and not enough 'love' for the kind of show it was supposed to be.

The cauldern ceremony was wonderful, and probably left the show feeling like it was better than on average it was - it finished strong. Very happy Riner got to share the 'Perec' return moment because iconic as she is, riner is a greater legend of sport in the round and he would have been my pick. The node to Rafa was well made, and the use of Zizou was very on point.

Unlike London, while the multiculturalism of France was rightly celebrated, there didn't seem much reflection on where that multiculturalism came from and what the price of it was; London seemed to grapple with 'questions' better - at a push I'd say the French certainly upheld their motto, and recognised diversity, and that's great, but I preferred London (and Rio's) explicit acknowledgement that some of that diversity has threads back to a dark past, and that in a sense, it's not just celebrated, but a form of atonement. In other words, Paris was cool (in places) but London was smart.

At what point will we finally be rid of Bach, the Rodrigo Borgia of IOC presidents?

2 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Weak opening, strong finish. The Seine didn't work in that weather (and what does that downpour mean for Triathlon and OW swimming), the use of Paris in the dark did - perhaps they should have started later. The light show was fabulous, the music was largely great, if badly mimed - someone should have worked out the limits of close ups in an outdoor set. More Daft Punk required.

The menage a trois segment I found a little ridiculous, indeed quite a lot of the show seemed, frankly, rather preoccupied with sex and sexuality which given the universalist family nature of the event overall was, in my opinion,a miscue - as was the drag last supper which seemed gratuitous and, worse, utterly random. A simple public display of gay affection in a 'city of love' context would have been very welcome, but it simply was too much 'sex' and not enough 'love' for the kind of show it was supposed to be.

The cauldern ceremony was wonderful, and probably left the show feeling like it was better than on average it was - it finished strong. Very happy Riner got to share the 'Perec' return moment because iconic as she is, riner is a greater legend of sport in the round and he would have been my pick. The node to Rafa was well made, and the use of Zizou was very on point.

Unlike London, while the multiculturalism of France was rightly celebrated, there didn't seem much reflection on where that multiculturalism came from and what the price of it was; London seemed to grapple with 'questions' better - at a push I'd say the French certainly upheld their motto, and recognised diversity, and that's great, but I preferred London (and Rio's) explicit acknowledgement that some of that diversity has threads back to a dark past, and that in a sense, it's not just celebrated, but a form of atonement. In other words, Paris was cool (in places) but London was smart.

At what point will we finally be rid of Bach, the Rodrigo Borgia of IOC presidents?

This on theory was supposed to be his last games but I suspect he will try to run again

I really enjoyed it! I was very critical of their choice to do the ceremony outside of a stadium, and I still think it shouldn't happen again, but it was entertaining and nice to always be in movement.

The parade being in the heart of it was a great idea, but it was poorly executed, I just didn't get the same excitement seeing the athletes static on boats, than seeing them walking in a stadium, and hearing the public cheer. Also most flagbearers were barely seen :(

Some parts were too long.

They also did a bad job with the cameras and those damn raindrops on them that ruined many shots once it started getting dark (during the "Imagine" part for example - which was sang by TISC participant Juliette Armanet by the way :d)

Other than that I loved how diverse and inclusive the ceremony was :wub: that was so beautiful to see. One of my favorite things about the ceremony for sure. I know many people won't agree but I don't care!

Céline Dion at the end was such an incredible and emotional moment, given that she hasn't performed in years since the start of her illness. I'm not a big fan (meaning I enjoy some of her songs but I'm not actively listening to her), but she is such an incredible singer!

Had very good and very bad parts. 

Outdoor ceremonies are just a terrible idea. It's a conservative opinion, I know, but it's the reality. Closed spaces are simply better for the "atmosphere" factor.

1 hour ago, Book said:

NBC did not show Nicky Doll’s part of the runway performance, very disappointing. That scene was the reason my partner stayed watching when they saw it online but it never showed up on TV.

As someone who didn't knew anything about this OC, it was a nice surprise to see Nicky. Also, I'm absolutely loving how the far right in Brazil (and maybe here?) is freaking out about that segment :p

1 hour ago, mpjmcevoy said:

I think Rio 2016 did that the best, while capturing contemporary social/poltical divides very well too.

It's a ceremony often overlooked, but it remains my other favorite with Athens 2004. I do think London 2012 and Paris 2024 did a fantastic job of producing uniquely English/French ceremonies though, even if they took different angles. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela