website statistics

Things You Would Change in Sports?

3 hours ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

As a big fan of darts myself In genuinely think people won't be too bothered by it's inclusion. The whole origins of being a pub sport behind, it has much of a right to be considered for the Olympics as Archery and Shooting do. You don't exactly have to be athletic to do any of those sports. 

I think that is a big underestimation of especially the muscles needed for archery :p 

Right now there's already the eternal debate about darts being a sport or not, that would just get worse if included in the Olympics. Besides, I truly doubt any top level player has any serious interest in the Olympics, unlike for example athletes in some other sports that have actively been trying to get into the Olympics (sports climbing, for example). The Olympic tennis tournament is already something that doesn't feel like even 5% as important as a Grand Slam, with darts that would be way less I think.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, orangeman said:

I think most people here would love a 3 week Olympic Games, but I'm not sure the general public has the attention for that. Most casual viewers I know say they're "done" by the end of the Olympics. It's sort of like Christmas; start too early and you take away the magic of it. 

It would also make the days calmer, which is useful, but also takes away a bit of that Olympic magic where everyone is filled to the brim with sports from early morning to late night :p 

Plus it'd be harder with getting time off from work :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

40 minutes ago, intoronto said:

It would be embarrassing to include darts or billiards in the Winter Olympic program.

It would be embarrassing to include any sport, which doesn't have a winter element to it. 

Playing sport "X" indoors makes it in no way a candidate for the Winter Olympics, so to just "puff" the program.

I mean, the following ideas have literally no chance of ever happening, but if we are wishing...

I'd have the Olympics be a true festival of sports. All other sport doesn't happen in that period. If that means that it takes 2-3 months, so be it. It's still only 2 months every 4 years.

You have representation from any country that wants it in any event so all sports are truly global. You have all sports that want to be involved in there.

It would be glorious insanity.

2 hours ago, orangeman said:

I think most people here would love a 3 week Olympic Games, but I'm not sure the general public has the attention for that. Most casual viewers I know say they're "done" by the end of the Olympics. It's sort of like Christmas; start too early and you take away the magic of it. 

We are already at 2 full weeks + 4 days. With smart and balanced scheduling it wouldn't be that noticeable.

You can have the Opening Ceremony on Tuesday and start 1/3 of the sports already on Wednesday & Thursday instead of Saturday. This way you can spread them out a bit and have more rest days for the team sports as well.

1 hour ago, Federer91 said:

It would be embarrassing to include any sport, which doesn't have a winter element to it. 

Playing sport "X" indoors makes it in no way a candidate for the Winter Olympics, so to just "puff" the program.

Which means cyclocross for example would be fine. Purely in that sense, because obviously it's just nowhere near international enough :p 

Actually the problem with cyclocross, snow volley, ice sailing (but this one would be tough considering the climate changes) is that the IOC had a rule not to allow the sport federations to compete in BOTH Summer and Winter Olympics.... I would love to change that rule, at least for the sake of snow volley.

If we speak about minor wishes, I would like to balance quotas between some sports. Consider we have i.e. 16 quotas for taekwondo tournaments and 15 to 20 TEAM quotas in equestrian disciplines plus several individual ones. Would not that deserve a better balancing?

Also I would like to have more diverse disciplines in Winter Olympics. We have all kinds of erverything in summer sports - martial arts, precision sports, ball games, pure athletics.... I miss something like snow-wrestling or....idk, like a snowball fight :D Might be a team event ;) But as a simple wish as I sad before: snow volley would be a perfect addition to the winter programme.

8 hours ago, heywoodu said:

I think that is a big underestimation of especially the muscles needed for archery :p 

Right now there's already the eternal debate about darts being a sport or not, that would just get worse if included in the Olympics. Besides, I truly doubt any top level player has any serious interest in the Olympics, unlike for example athletes in some other sports that have actively been trying to get into the Olympics (sports climbing, for example). The Olympic tennis tournament is already something that doesn't feel like even 5% as important as a Grand Slam, with darts that would be way less I think.

The debate about darts being a sport is massively flawed as there are multiple components that make it a sport such as skill, accuracy and the physical act of throwing. Also the top players have already said they'd be up for doing it, unlike tennis and golf there isn't a snobbery about only playing tournaments that are "big enough" as professional darts players will pretty much play anything even if it's somes shitty local darts tournament.