website statistics

Team GB at the World Athletics Relays Road to Paris 2024

The qualification window for the World Athletics Relays closed yesterday and GB have qualified for all 5 relays. 

I've split this out from the broader athletics thread as I think there will be plenty to talk about both ahead of and during the event.

Posted (edited)

Selection policy:

2024-World-Athletic-Relay-Policy-Final_4-April-2024.pdf (uka.org.uk)

The selection for the 4x100m was apparently finalised by 19th February whilst the selection for the 4x400m was to be finalised by today.

Selection allows for team of up to 8 athletes for each of the 5 relays so theoretically, a maximum of 40 athletes.

Edited by Rafa Maciel

UK Athletics funded athletes who would be eligible for relay consideration:

Women's 4x100:

Dina Asher-Smith

Daryll Neita

Imani-Lara Lansiquot

Asha Philip

Bianca Williams

Jodie Williams

Men's 4x100:

Zharnel Hughes

Eugene Amo-Dadzie

Jeremiah Azu

Adam Gemili

Jona Efoloko

Nethaneel Mitchell Blake

Mixed/Women's 4x400:

Lavia Nielsen

Victoria Ohuruogu

Nicole Yeargin

Ama Pipi

Amber Anning

Yemi Mary John

Mixed/Men's 4x400:

Matthew Hudson-Smith

Joe Brier

Lewis Davey

Alex Haydock Wilson

Rio Mitcham

What about Alyson Bell and Aleeya Sibbons? Aren't they on the confirmation relay funding like Anning/John?

Will be interesting whether Hughes/DAS or Neita are selected. Technically the selection policy only says that relay funded athletes have to make themselves available, so there's no specific requirement for those 3 to do so. But you would think they would want to stay on the selector's good side if they want to be involved in Paris...

4 minutes ago, Epic Failure said:

What about Alyson Bell and Aleeya Sibbons? Aren't they on the confirmation relay funding like Anning/John?

Will be interesting whether Hughes/DAS or Neita are selected. Technically the selection policy only says that relay funded athletes have to make themselves available, so there's no specific requirement for those 3 to do so. But you would think they would want to stay on the selector's good side if they want to be involved in Paris...

You're right. They're both on the funding list - I didn't scroll down to the last section of the funding list

8 minutes ago, Epic Failure said:

Whether they are involved or not, I don't think it impacts their participation in the relays come Paris.  For the most part, I'd be surprised if they didn't take the strongest possible team as they'll want to nail down all 5 relays at the first opportunity and even a second tier GB team should be able to get top 14. 

15 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Whether they are involved or not, I don't think it impacts their participation in the relays come Paris.  For the most part, I'd be surprised if they didn't take the strongest possible team as they'll want to nail down all 5 relays at the first opportunity and even a second tier GB team should be able to get top 14. 

I think if the decision for them not to go to is a collective agreement with UKA, they'll be fine.

But I think if one of the athletes were to raise a stink themselves, that might not sit so well. Especially on the women's side - we saw them get the bronze without DAS last summer. And obviously we've seen how they have handled Prescod over the years.

I'm just speculating out loud, for idle conversation though to be honest.

Having the race practice is hopefully another reason to send a strong squad. Training is all well and good but there's nothing quite like the pressure of racing.

On 4/9/2024 at 12:54 AM, Epic Failure said:

Looking increasingly likely that we could have a pretty strong squad going to the Bahamas if the number of Brits in action in big US meets over the next week or so is anything to go by. That would tie in with them being available for the training camp in Florida from 18th April.