website statistics

British Swimming Championships 2024 Road to Paris 2024

3 hours ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

Wow, that's quite optimistic for you mate. You sure you're feeling alright? 

Orangehair can meet with victory and defeat and treat those two imposters both the same...that is, he can be ridiculously, wildly wrong in both directions!

44 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Lewis Burras is not having a good meet. Don't see him getting on to the squad in the 50 unless he was really holding back. 

As I mentioned after the 100m, he is in significant danger of missing out.

Have been giving this some thought and there is a way that Litchfield, Guy and Peters could all get selected...and all come away with medals.

Take Litchfield purely as a relay swimmer and use him in the heats of the 4x200 and either the heats or final of the medley relays.

Take James Guy as a relay swimmer for the 4x200 and for the medley relays

Take Jacob Peters for the individual 100 fly and use him in either the heats or final of the medley relays. 

Unfortunately, that scenario would probably mean that Kieran Bird would miss out and wouldn't work if we have any surprise qualifiers over the next couple of days but would probably put the relays in strong positions to get on to the podium.

1 hour ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Have been giving this some thought and there is a way that Litchfield, Guy and Peters could all get selected...and all come away with medals.

Take Litchfield purely as a relay swimmer and use him in the heats of the 4x200 and either the heats or final of the medley relays.

Take James Guy as a relay swimmer for the 4x200 and for the medley relays

Take Jacob Peters for the individual 100 fly and use him in either the heats or final of the medley relays. 

Unfortunately, that scenario would probably mean that Kieran Bird would miss out and wouldn't work if we have any surprise qualifiers over the next couple of days but would probably put the relays in strong positions to get on to the podium.

I don’t think Peters is being taken unless Guy does not qualify in the top 4 of 200m.  I think they want to reduce controversy by leaving out someone seem as a favourite of the selectors who has done poor so it doesn’t look like the discretion rule just lets the underperformers all in anyway. 

Edited by Orangehair43

8 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

I don’t think Peters is being taken unless Guy does not qualify in the top 4 of 200m.  I think they want to reduce controversy by leaving out someone seem as a favourite of the selectors who has done poor so it doesn’t look like the discretion rule just lets the underperformers all in anyway. 

Well this aim of the selection policy is to "optimise medal outcomes.", so athletes like Kieran Bird would likely understand why they were not picked as they really have no chance of medalling or providing cover for a medal contending relay. Personally I think that the 100 fly leg on the relay shouldn't necessarily be given to an athlete at trials in April, as form can change dramatically since then. I think they take all 3, and I think the 30 selection limit still allows this, and then allows the most in form to swim on the relays, in order to maximise the "medal outcome".

44 minutes ago, TeamGB said:

Well this aim of the selection policy is to "optimise medal outcomes.", so athletes like Kieran Bird would likely understand why they were not picked as they really have no chance of medalling or providing cover for a medal contending relay. Personally I think that the 100 fly leg on the relay shouldn't necessarily be given to an athlete at trials in April, as form can change dramatically since then. I think they take all 3, and I think the 30 selection limit still allows this, and then allows the most in form to swim on the relays, in order to maximise the "medal outcome".

It just seems perverse to have someone so close to selection miss out after having a good champs while someone has a bad champs and goes anyway. Arguably rewards faluire. 

Edited by Orangehair43

44 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

It just seems perverse to have someone so close to selection miss out after having a good champs while someone has a bad champs and goes anyway. Arguably rewards faluire. 

I agree with the first part, although it doesn't reward failure, as you could just as easily argue that Bird failed by not getting the nomination time. In the end, Aquatics GB will focus on what brings in the funding, which is medals, and if that means bending their own rules then I am sure they will be prepared to do that.

18 minutes ago, TeamGB said:

I agree with the first part, although it doesn't reward failure, as you could just as easily argue that Bird failed by not getting the nomination time. In the end, Aquatics GB will focus on what brings in the funding, which is medals, and if that means bending their own rules then I am sure they will be prepared to do that.

Through he only failed because GB is allowed to use a harsher nomination time - a policy that should be forbidden under rules of international fairness.  If I was in charge all Olympic qualifying would be the same worldwide. 

Edited by Orangehair43