website statistics

GB Triathlon

2 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Good signs that GTB's injury worries are behind her going into the 2024 season as she takes 2nd place in the Triathlon Indoor World Cup behind Germany's Laura Lindemann. 

Excellent signs for GTB who had a really, rally tough year just when she should have been taking the 'final step' last year. Her strength on the bike is tactically very useful against the likes of Duffy, where Beth Potter, Kate Waugh etc can be slightly weaker, while their running strength means Beaugarde etc can't just wait them out.

Given the strength of Sophie Coldwell over supersprint relay distances, it's going to be a brutal 2 from three to join Beth. And that's not allowing for the Sian's and Fullagers making a late charge, or Learmonth showing old swimming form...

The Boys would give their right leg for that sort of depth...

On 3/7/2024 at 4:55 PM, RussB said:

I agree my instinct is similar although I’m interested to see how Kate Waugh does this season. It felt like she really arrived on the scene last year with the Super League title.

She's clearly the successor, along with Sophie to the Potter-Taylor Brown generation, much as they were to the Stanford-Holland - and they in turn Cave and Tucker/Jenkins. The women's pipeline continues to deliver, and Sian, Olivia, Jess Fullager means there is good depth, as Learmonth provided.

On the boys side, the sound of drifting tumbleweed...

• 2 weeks later...

The competition for places within the women's team is going to be something fierce! If GTB is back to her best it'll be a dogfight between Sophie and Kate for the third spot. Then there will be further competition to be included as the two women for the team relay at the games itself.

Wish we had some of that competition in the men's side...beyond Alex it seems a bit thin on the ground.

6 minutes ago, RussB said:

The competition for places within the women's team is going to be something fierce! If GTB is back to her best it'll be a dogfight between Sophie and Kate for the third spot. Then there will be further competition to be included as the two women for the team relay at the games itself.

Wish we had some of that competition in the men's side...beyond Alex it seems a bit thin on the ground.

Brownlee seems to have gone AWOL - he hasn't competed on the main circuit since Pontevedra in September. OK Abu Dhabi was cancelled, but he wasn't on the start list there either. Yet there is still talk that the is in great shape to get a spot in Paris. I can't see it myself.

I think there is a decent depth of GB men that are beginning to make some progress at the World Cup level and hopefully we'll start to see them competing in more of the WTCS events. 

6 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Brownlee seems to have gone AWOL - he hasn't competed on the main circuit since Pontevedra in September. OK Abu Dhabi was cancelled, but he wasn't on the start list there either. Yet there is still talk that the is in great shape to get a spot in Paris. I can't see it myself.

I think there is a decent depth of GB men that are beginning to make some progress at the World Cup level and hopefully we'll start to see them competing in more of the WTCS events. 

Brownlee theory is he is saving himself up in the hope of one majestic performance just prior to the Games that gets him selected ahead of Izzard. Given where things are at its not an insane plan, but it absolutely kills any outside chance of a third male berth.

I agree that there are a handful of decent guys coming though, but i's the leap to Brownlee-Yee level that's the hardest step, as Djikstra, for example, found.

Looks like the toxicity of the Seine is really causing problems. Reported today that the triathlon swim might be moved to later in the games if the e Coli levels are unacceptable (for instance in the event of heavy rain), and even removed from the triathlon completely if levels remain unacceptable. I'm sure Potter and Yee wouldn't mind too much if this was the case :yikes:

8 minutes ago, RussB said:

Looks like the toxicity of the Seine is really causing problems. Reported today that the triathlon swim might be moved to later in the games if the e Coli levels are unacceptable (for instance in the event of heavy rain), and even removed from the triathlon completely if levels remain unacceptable. I'm sure Potter and Yee wouldn't mind too much if this was the case :yikes:

Puts the open water events in massive jeopardy too. Realistically the organisers should've come up with an alternative to the Seine as backup as cleaning it up was always gonna be a big ask. 

Just now, Cinnamon Bun said:

Puts the open water events in massive jeopardy too. Realistically the organisers should've come up with an alternative to the Seine as backup as cleaning it up was always gonna be a big ask. 

Indeed. They have invested significant money into the clean up but from what I’m reading the benefits might not be observed till next year.

issues like this always surprise me that there are not contingency plans in place. Similar to the rowing course in LA not being 2km long due to a bridge that is due to be built 🤣

1 hour ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

Exactly. What about somewhere like that park in Annency where they hold the Summer Biathlon?  Would be utterly perfect.  Must be any number of such places.