website statistics

GB Beach Volleyball

Bello brothers unable to replicate their form of last week and lose to Diaz/Alayo 2-0 (21-18/22-20) They'll finish the tournament in 17th place. 

Onward to the challenger event in Guadalajara in 10 days. They should have direct entry to the main draw, but the entry list does look pretty tough.

• 2 weeks later...

:facepalm:Bello brothers can't seem to get away from the Cuban pairing of Diaz & Alayo - they've been draw in the same group after losing out to them in the round of 18 last week and in the semi-final the week before. 

• 3 weeks later...

9th place finish for Bello brothers in Xiamen Challenger :CHN. They pick up another 450 ranking points and move up to 25th in the world - I think that's the highest I've seen them but I've only been tracking them over the last 18 months or so. They're still a couple of thousand points short of a quota spot so I think it will be difficult, but not impossible, for them to get direct qualification. 

Later this week, they will be back in :BRA for the Elite 16 event in Brasilia and the good news is that they have direct entry this time so no need to go through qualifying. That will guarantee them another 460 points.

They've got a tough pool - to be expected at this level - and have been drawn against :BRA Evandro/Arthur, :POL Bryl/Losiak and a qualifier. 

3 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

9th place finish for Bello brothers in Xiamen Challenger :CHN. They pick up another 450 ranking points and move up to 25th in the world - I think that's the highest I've seen them but I've only been tracking them over the last 18 months or so. They're still a couple of thousand points short of a quota spot so I think it will be difficult, but not impossible, for them to get direct qualification. 

Later this week, they will be back in :BRA for the Elite 16 event in Brasilia and the good news is that they have direct entry this time so no need to go through qualifying. That will guarantee them another 460 points.

They've got a tough pool - to be expected at this level - and have been drawn against :BRA Evandro/Arthur, :POL Bryl/Losiak and a qualifier. 

Believe it's only 700 points they need to qualify, the second Italian pair and first Austrian in joint 19th have the last 2 spots. Unlikely they reach it with 4 events left, 2 challenger and 2 elite 16, but certainly not impossible with some pretty low scores still to come off. 

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

Believe it's only 700 points they need to qualify, the second Italian pair and first Austrian in joint 19th have the last 2 spots. Unlikely they reach it with 4 events left, 2 challenger and 2 elite 16, but certainly not impossible with some pretty low scores still to come off. 

I don't think that's right - that's based on the world ranking which I think is based on their best 8 results within the last 12 months whereas the Olympic ranking is based on their top 12 results since 1st January 2023.

I've seen 3 different ranking lists all coming from FIVB :d and each showing a different picture but I think this is the version that most media outlets are using (Provisional Olympic Ranking tab):

RankingMen (fivb.com) 

In that version Bello brothers are in 31st place with 5740 points. :CHI Grimalt/Grimalt are in the last qualifying spot with 7080 points. So, the gap is about 1300 on that measure but I could be completely wrong. 

Edited by Rafa Maciel

8 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

I don't think that's right - that's based on the world ranking which I think is based on their best 8 results within the last 12 months whereas the Olympic ranking is based on their top 12 results since 1st January 2023.

I've seen 3 different ranking lists all coming from FIVB :d and each showing a different picture but I think this is the version that most media outlets are using (Provisional Olympic Ranking tab):

RankingMen (fivb.com) 

In that version Bello brothers are in 31st place with 5740 points. :CHI Grimalt/Grimalt are in the last qualifying spot with 7080 points. So, the gap is about 1300 on that measure but I could be completely wrong. 

It looks as though it is that one, my mistake. Still the performances they'd have to do on this ranking are similar to what they'd have to do on the other, there just more lower scores incorporated into this one. 

No big surprise, but Volleyball England have confirmed the team for the CEV Beach Volleyball Nations Cup - Bello/Bello and Bialokoz/Batrane.

Action kicks off 18th May with :ENG/:GBR in a group with :GER :EST :LUX :SLO :CYP and :MDA

• 2 weeks later...

Nations Cup Results Day 1:

:GBR/:ENG 2 - 1 :SLO

Bello brothers won both of their matches whilst Bialokoz/Batrane lost in a couple of tight set.

:GBR/:ENG 0 - 2 :EST

Both matches lost in 3 tight sets.

:GBR/:ENG are up against :MDA later this morning.